Being sick!

Options
2»

Replies

• ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Agitch,
    My mom has had FMS for 15 years. I actually did my Master's Thesis on FMS & exercise: go to OhioLink and look up my research if you'ld like to read it. Through my experiences & observations with my mom, I can make the following suggestions.
    1. Keep it up, We're all proud of you!
    2. The more slowly you start, the easier it will be on your body. The other posts are correct that you won't be pain free, but just imagine what it will be like to be in Less pain!
    3. Aim for total body cardio at low intensity, drop some significant weight before adding strenght training (mom walks up to 2 miles a couple days a week, and I just started her on theraband exercises for strengthening)
    4. Get in the therapeutic pool everyone else mentions: it has to be at least 80degrees, or you'll regret it. Realize that you will not be able to maintain the workload the average swimmer does as a result of the FMS. BUT, the bouyancy and heat help to make your movement less painful. You are able to use muscles throughout a range of motion you previously only dreamed of! (mom spent 2 months in the florida keys, just walking in the water, at a progressively deeper level, and came back over 20lbs lighter)
    5. If you're looking for motivation, track the amount of time you spend doing your activities. You would be surprised how much you do in a day. This doesn't count for the average individual, but I know for my mom, reaching above shoulder height to get a cup out of the cabinet is an accomplishment these days!
    6., Great job 7. You're an amazing woman 8. Make someone else feel good today 9. Tell yourself you are proud & 10. Smile!
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 6 pound weight loss that is awesome. And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Enjoy this 21 flower SALUTE !!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Options
    Agitch,
    My mom has had FMS for 15 years. I actually did my Master's Thesis on FMS & exercise: go to OhioLink and look up my research if you'ld like to read it. Through my experiences & observations with my mom, I can make the following suggestions.
    1. Keep it up, We're all proud of you!
    2. The more slowly you start, the easier it will be on your body. The other posts are correct that you won't be pain free, but just imagine what it will be like to be in Less pain!
    3. Aim for total body cardio at low intensity, drop some significant weight before adding strenght training (mom walks up to 2 miles a couple days a week, and I just started her on theraband exercises for strengthening)
    4. Get in the therapeutic pool everyone else mentions: it has to be at least 80degrees, or you'll regret it. Realize that you will not be able to maintain the workload the average swimmer does as a result of the FMS. BUT, the bouyancy and heat help to make your movement less painful. You are able to use muscles throughout a range of motion you previously only dreamed of! (mom spent 2 months in the florida keys, just walking in the water, at a progressively deeper level, and came back over 20lbs lighter)
    5. If you're looking for motivation, track the amount of time you spend doing your activities. You would be surprised how much you do in a day. This doesn't count for the average individual, but I know for my mom, reaching above shoulder height to get a cup out of the cabinet is an accomplishment these days!
    6., Great job 7. You're an amazing woman 8. Make someone else feel good today 9. Tell yourself you are proud & 10. Smile!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!:love:
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Options
    Congratulations on the 6 pound weight loss that is awesome. And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Enjoy this 21 flower SALUTE !!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    tHANKS FOR THE GREAT B-D SALUTE:drinker:
  • tdroseler
    Options
    looks like you have had a whole bunch of helpful advice from people who know a lot more than i do...that is good.

I wanted to share something i have noticed about the Curves place that i go to. I am one of the youngest women there. A lot of the women are older and come to help "loosen" the hold that things like arthritis have on them. They have commented on how the machines at Curves are gentle on them, they don't have to work real hard to get themselves to limber up. One lady was commenting on how much better her body felt, another on how she didn't feel as depressed now, because she had a positive place to come, and she looks forward to it. Do you have a Curves in your area?, you could check it out.