What are your views on cheat days?

Options
KateL1969
KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
I would crack without one but it is like walking on thin ice. Mine is a Friday. I reward myself for getting through the week by having a glass of wine and and some chocolate or Haribos.

Do you agree with cheat days? If not why? If so when is yours and what do you have? Are you able to have a little bit of what you fancy without caving in and stuffing your face? Last Friday I meant to have a few Maltezers and ended up eating 40! That along with the large Baileys was about 800 extra calories from what I remember. I was disciplined enought to count them just not stop myself from eating them. I would love to hear your experiences.

Replies

• Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had one every single week and lost steadily throughout. I was usually at least 1000 to 1500 over and my day was a Saturday. Everyone is different but it worked for me and kept me sane.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't have set cheat days, as in I don't plan them. But if I end up going out on a Sat night and get a chippy or something, I'll just work it off the next day or eat less for the next few days. I did try having one cheat day a month but I found it put my weight loss at a stop
  • watermel0nsugar
    Options
    I definitely believe that you only have to be 100% about 90% of the time in regards to nutrition. While I always keep in mind how what I will eat is going to affect me in the long run, I will definitely allow myself to have a treat. Especially on weekends when my boyfriend and I are out and about. This past weekend, I treated myself to some of my favorite cocktails, a guilt free meal at my favorite Mexican restaurant without calorie counting, and a few other things - I definitely see what I would leave out in the future, but it's definitely worth it to let go after a good week of healthy eating.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in them. I don't have them on a scheduled basis or anything, but I do like to know that if I want to just go wild for a day and just not count I can.

I don't believe in cutting out foods, so if I want what some people call a cheat item I'll eat it, I just make sure I have enough calories for it.
  • RunsAround
    RunsAround Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Bob Harper's new book called Skinny Rules. He actually has a cheat meal as one of the rules.

BUT...and that's a big BUT. Off the top of my head, he said it's a cheat MEAL and not a cheat day. You need to decide if you want to cheat by volume or by intensity. He used a different word. For example. Do you want to have to really large servings of your favorite no no unhealthy lasagna? Or do you want to eat an extra decadent piece of cake? He also said you should avoid eating your cheat meal alone and that you shouldn't combine your cheat meal with a sugary drink.

Now if I stuck to that, I'm sure my cheating would also be less damaging to my waist. Like you, my cheat days tend to grow into something bigger than they should be.
  • ImCaptainJackSparrow
    Options
    I reached my goal weight and so at the weekend I just do my normal exercise and don't count calories, now most of the time I probably don't eat much but if I wan't chinese food or a few beers I allow myself it and then i just work hard again Mon-Fri
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Yes, they keep me sane and stop me wanting to binge through the week.
    My treat day is every Saturday although lately its becoming Saturday and Sunday :ohwell: Lol.

On my planned treat day, Saturday. I eat whatever i want. I start the day with a bacon and egg butty, then i end up having bicuits with a coffee and then later depending on if im working or not i eat what i want when i want. For me on a Saturday there's not limit, i usually go to bed with a food baby ha but i don't really care, it's never affected my weight loss and it works for me. Plus now that im not too far from my UGW i don't mind having a little treat on Sunday too. Some people are so against treat days but i personally find that they are a positve thing for me.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would crack without one but it is like walking on thin ice. Mine is a Friday. I reward myself for getting through the week by having a glass of wine and and some chocolate or Haribos.

Do you agree with cheat days? If not why? If so when is yours and what do you have? Are you able to have a little bit of what you fancy without caving in and stuffing your face? Last Friday I meant to have a few Maltezers and ended up eating 40! That along with the large Baileys was about 800 extra calories from what I remember. I was disciplined enought to count them just not stop myself from eating them. I would love to hear your experiences.
    It depends on the person. However, one just starting out shouldn't do such things. As you get more advanced you will be able to structure such foods into your daily plan.
  • stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    Mmmm Bailey's and Chocolate! Some of life's pleasures are, I believe, essential. Counting calories has given me insight and control over what goes into my body but I think it is also important to have fun. Sometimes we need indulging! :) I've lost around 35 pounds now and I eat chocolate regularly. There have been times when I have gone well over my intended calorie count but I just get back on the wagon the next day and it is A-OK.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think you need to work out what works for you and do it!

That has been the real learning experience for me over the last 18 months on MFP - working out the "new normal" for me, working out what I am going to be able to sustain for the rest of my life to keep up the really positive changes I've made in my habits and my health (and incidentally, also in my weight and fitness).

I don't do "cheat days" because I don't see the changes I've made in regard to my eating and exercise something bad or hard or scary, and they aren't imposed by anyone else, so why do I need to cheat? And who would I be cheating on? Me?
    That is just the way I chose to live my life - making healthy choices as often as I can and not beating myself up if I don't. I certainly eat more calories than are recommended some days - but that's not cheating, that's life.

I also don't eat "diet" food - I eat regular food and watch the portion sizes. Having said that, regular food for me means home cooked meals using meat, fish, chicken, fruit and veggies, rice, pasta, bread, cheese, dairy etc. Pizza, McDonalds etc are not "regular" for me. Eating out is - and sometimes I'll have grilled fish and salad, other times I will have anything I choose from the menu, regardless of how many calories it has.

I've done a lot of thinking around this - and my conclusion is that there is no right way. If you find that eating more on one day a week and calling it a "cheat day" is something that works for you - go for it! It's not what I choose to do, but I don't mind what anyone else does in their life.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I dont like to think of it at a cheat day, I eat what I want when I want most of the time, just in moderation. Rarely a day goes by where I dont have a small piece of chocolate.

In my 120 days I've probably had 3 days that were over 1000cals over my goal but I still dont call these cheat days. It's a mental thing for me I think, I dont want to tell myself I'm cheating because in my mind I'm not, it's a lifelong thing and has to be maintainable for life. I dont want to live my life cheating myself - probably doesnt make sense but it does to me.... I'll go out with the girls and just eat/drink whatever I want when I get to the point of I'm going to give up if I dont.

I think treating yourself to a little bit of what you fancy is very important to keep this up forever. xx
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't have designated cheat days, but if I'm over by a couple of hundred calories one day because I went out, or ate too much without exercising, I try not to worry about it too much. But when I know I'm gonna be going out I try and plan my day accordingly. For example, I went out to dinner for my 21st birthday and we had LOTS of margaritas, quesadillas, and birthday cake, I knew that was gonna be the case, so I ate fairly lightly during that day and burnt around 600 calories at the gym beforehand; I didn't count the calories for dinner so I was probably still over, but didn't worry bout it too much.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have them at the weekends and i still loose, I do try to save up calories to counter it, IE eating a little less through the week or massive workout Saturday morning.

Dieting is a life choice not life sentence, don't punish yourself.

PEACE
  • leanneb205
    leanneb205 Posts: 76
    Options
    I think once i reach my half way mark i'll have a cheat MEAL but i wouldn't trust myself with a full cheat day. I think i'd lose my stride and over do it and never get back into my healthy eating xx
  • nightgirl76
    nightgirl76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should look in to the judd diet.
  • MerBear1985
    MerBear1985 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't like the term "cheat day" it just screams bad to me. What are you cheating on? This should be a lifestyle change (one that I have not totally grasped yet) not some diet that you just do for a while and can "cheat" on sometimes. If you want a treat, eat it, just not a lot of it. That is what is going to keep you sane.

Everyone is different, this is just my take on it. I do have days that I don't track but it is normally because I just don't have the time not because I am "cheating". You can't cheat at life.
  • supermodestmouse
    Options
    I definitely believe in rewarding yourself, but I still try to choose better items of what I want to reward myself with. For instance, I love burgers, but I'll usually have a turkey burger instead of beef (healthier, lower calories, AND higher protein...weird right?) Also, I love Thai food, but I'll try to keep to the chicken instead of pork and what not. But everything in moderation. Maybe once a week/every other week and only with friends :)
  • JozefTorba
    JozefTorba Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should have a cheat day. I tend to have them once a week or once every 10 days depends on my progress. Its good for keeping your sanity and helps to confuse metabolism and speed it up. If the progress is slow i just have a big cheat meal. Dont worry about the extra weight next morning as it is mostly the excess water weight from sodium.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Why not treat every day and just stay within your daily limit? That might reduce the desire for an entire cheat day
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cheat days will set you back, but cheat meals once a week- once a fortnight are beneficial/ ok.