Hmm, a plateau...what should I change?

Options
My diary is open. FYI, if you see a day that has nothing there it means I ate the identical meal as the day before. I rarely miss days though. Any thoughts about what should be changed?

Replies

• DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    what are your goals fella?

As a question, do you not feel tired eating 1300 1500 calories a day? I find even on 1800 I struggle the next day
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Firstly what are your stats? Age, weight, height... BMR and TDEE etc...
  • mrh0rnet
    mrh0rnet Posts: 26
    Options

As a question, do you not feel tired eating 1300 1500 calories a day? I find even on 1800 I struggle the next day

Not at all. I'm around 180 now, trying to get to 165.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    how do you define "plateau"? as in how long is this stall?
  • mrh0rnet
    Options

I'll tell you now that for me the "calculated by formula" TDEE for me is nowhere near right. When I eat at that number I gain weight every single time so I don't use it anymore. Supposedly it's 2500 yet if I eat that I gain roughly a half a pound a week, which tells me my actual TDEE is lower than what i'm given. I'd estimate roughly 2100-2200 given the rate at which i've been losing weight. You have to remember, the TDEE is really just an estimate....i've seen people even on the bodybuilding forums that say that calculated number has been as much as 500 calories off.
  • mrh0rnet
    Options

Going on about 3 weeks now. I've actually gained about 3 pounds and just stalled there, i'm guessing water weight.
  • BattyMac87
    BattyMac87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue so I'm interested see what people think about your case.
    I eat approximately 1500 calories per day (any less I feel weak and and no energy) and exercise 200-400 calories per day. But I've been the same weight for 4 weeks (i.e.120 lbs, my goal is 115lbs). What causes this. It was easy to start, the lbs fell off. Is reducing food intake my only option?
  • mrh0rnet
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue so I'm interested see what people think about your case.
    I eat approximately 1500 calories per day (any less I feel weak and and no energy) and exercise 200-400 calories per day. But I've been the same weight for 4 weeks (i.e.120 lbs, my goal is 115lbs). What causes this. It was easy to start, the lbs fell off. Is reducing food intake my only option?

Youll probably get a variation of answers from eat less to eat more lol. I don't really do much cardio anymore but lift 4 days a week. I actually just started my new program this week breaking the lifting down into days but haven't plugged it in yet since i'm logging it in another app.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

I'll tell you now that for me the "calculated by formula" TDEE for me is nowhere near right. When I eat at that number I gain weight every single time so I don't use it anymore. Supposedly it's 2500 yet if I eat that I gain roughly a half a pound a week, which tells me my actual TDEE is lower than what i'm given. I'd estimate roughly 2100-2200 given the rate at which i've been losing weight. You have to remember, the TDEE is really just an estimate....i've seen people even on the bodybuilding forums that say that calculated number has been as much as 500 calories off.

That 'weight' you are gaining is because you arent dieting properly. This isnt a quick fix. Up calories by 100 or 200 and in 2 weeks note the progress...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

For AineMcCarthy: For you I'm going to assume it's just because it's the last 5 pounds. My last five took like 2 months to come off - very slow going - hang in there! Keep on doing what you are doing. Afterall this lifestyle change is forever, so no matter what the weight will come off.

For mrh0rnet: Your food diary seems great to me. Your carbs are controlled, you are eating healthy things. I'd say for your weight you should be eating a bit more. How about raising your calories to 1700 for 2 weeks and see how that goes? I know when I raised mine just 100 calories when I was stuck it really helped. Good luck!
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Fair enough as I said i have to eat in good calorific volumes otherwise i plummet and start craving the bad stuff, feel free to have a look at my diary for ideas.

Secondly what training are you doing? just seen the above dont worry.

I would suggest smashing it up different style, maybe knock out a couple of strongman sessions, if im plateauing in weight or strength sometimes a drastic shock in differing exercise and weights helps. I sometimes dig in my pocket for a PT session to drive me on further once every 2/3 months im talking, it kicks my training up a gear.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Going on about 3 weeks now. I've actually gained about 3 pounds and just stalled there, i'm guessing water weight.

unless you are eating at a surplus, the three pounds is not a true weight gain. As you get closer to goal, weight loss slows down. A lot. 3 weeks isnt time to worry yet (imo) especially if you have changed your routine to up the weight training. Plod on through for a couple more weeks and keep training.
  • mrh0rnet
    Options

That 'weight' you are gaining is because you arent dieting properly. This isnt a quick fix. Up calories by 100 or 200 and in 2 weeks note the progress...

Can you read? I've already done the whole eating at my TDEE minus 20% thing and the TDEE number was INCORRECT. And I know it isn't a quick fix considering i've been cutting since August of last year and losing roughly a pound a half a week steadily. Perhaps you should ask more questions before jumping to conclusions. Just for the record, I lost 60 pounds "the right way" before I even started using this app.
  • mrh0rnet
    Options

Fair enough as I said i have to eat in good calorific volumes otherwise i plummet and start craving the bad stuff, feel free to have a look at my diary for ideas.

Secondly what training are you doing? just seen the above dont worry.

I would suggest smashing it up different style, maybe knock out a couple of strongman sessions, if im plateauing in weight or strength sometimes a drastic shock in differing exercise and weights helps. I sometimes dig in my pocket for a PT session to drive me on further once every 2/3 months im talking, it kicks my training up a gear.

Thanks for the advice
  • mrh0rnet
    Options

unless you are eating at a surplus, the three pounds is not a true weight gain. As you get closer to goal, weight loss slows down. A lot. 3 weeks isnt time to worry yet (imo) especially if you have changed your routine to up the weight training. Plod on through for a couple more weeks and keep training.

That's kind of what i'm thinking as well. Just got nervous when the loss stopped all of a sudden. I've come too far to stop now lol
  • mrh0rnet
    Options

For AineMcCarthy: For you I'm going to assume it's just because it's the last 5 pounds. My last five took like 2 months to come off - very slow going - hang in there! Keep on doing what you are doing. Afterall this lifestyle change is forever, so no matter what the weight will come off.

For mrh0rnet: Your food diary seems great to me. Your carbs are controlled, you are eating healthy things. I'd say for your weight you should be eating a bit more. How about raising your calories to 1700 for 2 weeks and see how that goes? I know when I raised mine just 100 calories when I was stuck it really helped. Good luck!

I'm going to wait it out for the rest of this week and if nothing happens ill bump it up 100 calories.