Oatmeal recipies?

Options
I love oatmeal, but I haven't had it in forever because they only way I like it is with lots of butter and brown sugar.

So, I'm looking for healthier recipies for oatmeal

:)

Replies

• butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Puppygirl29
    Options
    I got this one from a nutritionist - 1/3 cup plain oatmeal + 2/3 cups of water
    micro around 90 seconds then add 1 level tsp all-natural peanut butter
    nice and gooey!:smile:
  • butterflylover527
    Options

I love me some peanut butter! Thanks :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

I have tried this and it is delicious!!
  • karweb
    karweb Posts: 11
    Options
    I put one packet of splenda and 1/2 cup blueberries or black raspberries
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and a half packet of sugar free hot chocolate (no-baked cookies). You could also use nutella and peanut butter, but the calories will go up pretty fast.
    Apples, raisins and brown sugar or real maple syrup
    eggs, dash of milk, tsp brown sugar in the microwave (nice and sweet and thick)
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    I put one packet of splenda and 1/2 cup blueberries or black raspberries

Sounds nice and simple!! And yummy!!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut oats in my rice cooker (one cup of dry oats = 4 days of breakfast). I heat up my individual 3/4 - 1 cup serving, then add 1/2 cup almond milk or skim, a couple shakes of cinnamon and sometimes a teaspoon of ideal brown sugar no calorie sweetener. Top with some fresh raspberries, strawberries or blackberries. YUM.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just tried overnight oats for the first time this morning, yummy!! 1/2c oats (old fashioned kind), 1/2c skim milk, 1/2 greek yogurt-vanilla and 1/2c of fruit, mix put in fridge overnight, grab & enjoy in the morning :)
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Made oatmeal for the kids over the weekend and put strawberries and peaches cut into little pieces into it. Now i made a big pot of it (3 kids + me and the wife), but you could always shrink the size. I think any fruit would work. We usually add honey / syrup / splenda to it depending on the mood. Just watch how much of the sweeteners :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I mix equal parts of dry regular oatmeal and low fat vanilla yogurt. Then let it regrigerate overnight (or at least a few hours). I had never heard of this until I joined MFP and several members from the UK suggested it. Very yummy!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste has some!!
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    Peanut butter and a half packet of sugar free hot chocolate (no-baked cookies). You could also use nutella and peanut butter, but the calories will go up pretty fast.

Oh man, no-bakes are a weakness of mine! Thanks for the idea!!
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    skinnytaste has some!!

I'll check those out, thanks :)
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just found this recipe today, I love this site!!!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html

Skinny-Overnight-Oatmeal-in-a-Jar.jpg

Overnight Oats in a Jar
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 1 • Serving Size: 1 jar • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 244.9 • Fat: 10.8 g • Carbs: 35.4 g • Fiber: 8.5 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 12 g
    Sodium: 94.7 mg

Ingredients:

1/4 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy)
    1/4 medium banana, sliced (freeze the rest for smoothies!)
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup blueberries
    4-5 drops NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
    pinch cinnamon

optional toppings:

1 tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)

Directions:

Place all the ingredient in a jar, shake, cover and refrigerate overnight. Add your favorite crunchy toppings such as nuts, granola, etc and enjoy the next day
  • giantsr1
    giantsr1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love this! Put everything in the crock pot the night before and in the morning it is ready <3 This comes from a site The Yummy Life - they had some other good recipes on there as well.

Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
    Ingredients
    2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
    1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground flax seed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
    Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry oats, 1 cup water - nuke in microwave.
    Add - 1-2 scoops protein powder, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil, sweetener to taste.
  • kac_88
    kac_88 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been adding a banana, blueberries, and a dash of cinnamon to mine. Sometimes I just do raisins and cinnamon. It tastes, delicious, fills you up, and is less calories than my go-to breakfast of cereal and soymilk.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Oh man, no-bakes are a weakness of mine! Thanks for the idea!!

I laugh when my kids beg for that since it really isn't bad. I use less water in it so that it is nice and thick too. They really think they are getting a sweat treat, but it isn't really
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just tried the overnight oatmeal too.... I think what I did needs tweaking but it's not a bad alternative in the mornings. I have been hearing good things about chia seeds so I was interested in trying them out.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal