breakfast cereal for adults and children???

Options
13»

Replies

• Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk on cereal??? Surely that's a joke? Or is it? I can't tell on here.

We have granola, porridge (with milk / yoghurt / fruit) or branflakes with dried fruit.

Or toast with peanut butter
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I trick my 4 year old in to eating healthier breakfast by doctoring it with food coloring. Green cereal is so much more fun than brown.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Live Strong has a great article with the top ten: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89186-top-kids-cereals/

Thanks for this!! My boys LOVE Life and Frosted Mini Wheats!
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    They have a gluten free peanut butter Cherrios now..it is wonderful...tastes like Cap'n Crunch peanut butter. But hey it is multi grain Cherrios :)

So long as there are no artificial dyes in my grandson will be one happy camper. He can only eat gluten free which really limits his cereal options. (As a side note, regular rice krispies are not gluten-free, they have a separate box for that)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs and bacon ...

Oh, sorry, not available in a nice convenient box yet? As you were ...

Sure it is... In the freezer section.
  • gsurface28
    gsurface28 Posts: 16
    Options
    My kids beg for oatmeal too - I add apples, cin, maple syrup - we don't do most cereals due to HFCS & dyes - we love Kashi cereals, cherrios & cascadian farms. Kids will eat what is available :)
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My boys who are 7 and 9 love any or all of the following, all healthy options

Weetabix heated with banana
    Oat so Simple (especially Golden Syrup Flavour)
    Any Oat, Nut and Raisin Breakfast Bars
    Homemade Muesli, using Alpen as a base and mixing in more Oats and raisins
    Scrambled Eggs on Toast

Loads of ideas that you all can eat which are healthy, when we have more time at the weekends we often make pancakes with wholemeal flour and add in fruit such as blueberries and bananas and strawberries with a little maple syrup for a treat!!
    Hope this helps
    Jules xx
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've never met a kid that didn't like Cheerios - BUT, if you are worried that the plain are "too plain" Multi Grain Cheerios are great. Honey Nut Cheerios used to be a treat when I was a kid. Oatmeal is a good option - if you have to sweeten it up a lot for your kids to eat it, do it! -- Then gradually back the sugar level down... they will adjust and not even know it.
    You could do the same thing mixing regular cheerios with Honey Nut if they don't like regular at first.
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cereal? Let kids be kids for cryin out loud. A bowl of cereal in the morning isn't going to kill them. Just use skim milk instead of Vit D, or better yet the vanilla soy milk.

On that note. my toddler LOVES the frosted mini wheats with fruit in the middle. And my 8 year old willingly picks raisin bran crunch. 2 fairly good cereals.

Yep. Let's up our kids with extra estrogen from soy!

Don't be judgmental!

Seriously, though, I wouldn't give my kids soy milk just because it tastes nasty. LOL!

Not being judgmental, just sarcastic. I was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 2. I drank plenty of soy milk in my time. I also had plenty of issues at TOM. Once I stopped eating soy, they stopped. I'm not a big fan of soy because of how it can (and often does) mess with hormones. It's absolutely not something I would do for my kids unless absolutely necessary.

ETA: Two "absolutely"s in one sentence. That's how strongly I feel about it! That, or it's too early for me...

Well let's not blame hormonal imbalances entirely on soy. If dairies use RBST, there could be an increase of estrogen in cow's milk. I just don't believe in singling out a food for the sake of hypotheticals.

On that note moms, if you give your children cow's milk, then check out the dairies that the milk comes from. RBST is a really horrible hormone that can have harmful side effects on you, and its use is truly an injustice to the cow. Most stores purchase their milk from local dairies so that is the place to start.

Or buy organic milk, it tastes better and has a longer shelf life too! No antibiotics either b/c they don't overmilk the cows. Anyone know why they need to give cows at a mega dairy antibiotics? Because they milk them so much that their nipples drag on the ground in the feces! Yuck!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    My daughter eats flavored oatmeal. I know it has a good bit of sugar, but at also has good stuff in it that other dry cereals do not.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cereal? Let kids be kids for cryin out loud. A bowl of cereal in the morning isn't going to kill them. Just use skim milk instead of Vit D, or better yet the vanilla soy milk.

On that note. my toddler LOVES the frosted mini wheats with fruit in the middle. And my 8 year old willingly picks raisin bran crunch. 2 fairly good cereals.

Yep. Let's up our kids with extra estrogen from soy!

Don't be judgmental!

Seriously, though, I wouldn't give my kids soy milk just because it tastes nasty. LOL!

Not being judgmental, just sarcastic. I was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 2. I drank plenty of soy milk in my time. I also had plenty of issues at TOM. Once I stopped eating soy, they stopped. I'm not a big fan of soy because of how it can (and often does) mess with hormones. It's absolutely not something I would do for my kids unless absolutely necessary.

ETA: Two "absolutely"s in one sentence. That's how strongly I feel about it! That, or it's too early for me...

Well let's not blame hormonal imbalances entirely on soy. If dairies use RBST, there could be an increase of estrogen in cow's milk. I just don't believe in singling out a food for the sake of hypotheticals.

On that note moms, if you give your children cow's milk, then check out the dairies that the milk comes from. RBST is a really horrible hormone that can have harmful side effects on you, and its use is truly an injustice to the cow. Most stores purchase their milk from local dairies so that is the place to start.

Or buy organic milk, it tastes better and has a longer shelf life too! No antibiotics either b/c they don't overmilk the cows. Anyone know why they need to give cows at a mega dairy antibiotics? Because they milk them so much that their nipples drag on the ground in the feces! Yuck!

You've been watching too many documentaries! Not every dairy mistreats their cows!