What is this weight gain?

Options

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I tried being nice but the gloves are off now.

There is NO NEED to come in to a thread and start skinny-bashing. Just because you think 120 is really small does not mean it is for everyone. I am REALLY REALLY short and have 6 pack goals. I should be between 110 and 120 and am 122. So while you think I should be "happy" , I STILL HAVE GOALS I AM TRYING TO REACH, JUST LIKE YOU.

Height is a big factor in weight goals. To some tall people, 150 and size 8 is ideal. For me, 110 and size 2 is. I would be a whale if I was 150. In fact I didn't even get there with either pregnancy.

Indeed!! last time I checked this site was myFITNESSpal, its for anyone whether they have 300lb or 1lb to loose, stay the same or even gain weight!!! It really annoys me when people start piping up about other peoples weight loss goals!!! grr
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be that helpful, but 123 pounds at 5'8'' is pretty thin. Have you been this weight before? Your body might be telling you something.

PS: I'm not skinny bashing. I am thin, too, and I know my body doesn't really like to go below a certain weight. I'm just throwing it out there.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    . If you don't know what you're talking about, don't give advice. To make a comment like "Testostorone? Where did you pluck that comment up from?", when the statement was INDEED A FACT, shows serious ignorance.
    Try asking questions and reading and absorbing information, instead of telling the educated people they're wrong.

This.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I so feel you, OP. I've gained somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-12 lbs, even though my measurements have not changed, and my clothes still fit. It's such a bugger!

As has been noted, could be water, or sodium, or slightly off numbers. Personally, I've increased my cardio a bit and started lifting weights, and I'm noticing that my tummy is looking flatter, so I guess the scale # doesn't matter too much in that case! I think, since you're maintaining, it may just be a matter of playing around with your numbers and your exercise to see what's going to work best.

I wish I knew of something solid to suggest, but I really just wanted to sympathize!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be that helpful, but 123 pounds at 5'8'' is pretty thin. Have you been this weight before? Your body might be telling you something.

PS: I'm not skinny bashing. I am thin, too, and I know my body doesn't really like to go below a certain weight. I'm just throwing it out there.

Good point! I am just shy of 5'7 and am within the healthy bmi range (not that that means anything really!) I've not been this thin before but then I have never eaten so well before and I also used to drink lots of alcohol (none now or very rarely), so I don't really know what my body wants to do now I've improved my diet. As a kid I was always tall and thin but then at secondary school and uni I used to eat far too much of the wrong things. I guess now I look more like I did before I started being so greedy lol!
  • Flissbo
    Options
    I so feel you, OP. I've gained somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-12 lbs, even though my measurements have not changed, and my clothes still fit. It's such a bugger!

As has been noted, could be water, or sodium, or slightly off numbers. Personally, I've increased my cardio a bit and started lifting weights, and I'm noticing that my tummy is looking flatter, so I guess the scale # doesn't matter too much in that case! I think, since you're maintaining, it may just be a matter of playing around with your numbers and your exercise to see what's going to work best.

I wish I knew of something solid to suggest, but I really just wanted to sympathize!

Thank you :flowerforyou: I feel your pain lol! Sooooo annoying isn't it!!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Annoying is right! Good luck with your maintenace :)
  • Flissbo
    Options

Annoying is right! Good luck with your maintenace :)

you too! God I'm starving! TIme for (healthy) lunch!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Eating at maintenance, and over eating on the weekends. This sounds pretty obvious to me.

Once you're back at maintenance there's no such thing as a "cheat day." Eating over maintenance = weight gain.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yeah i freak out when i gain 2-3 pounds too hehe, nothing to worry about just normal body fluctuations..what ir eally find helps OP is to stepping off the scale and not use it only use it once a week ya know?
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You are 120lb, I don't really understand how you are worried about 5lb of weight gain...
    You body flucuates a lot and its probably because of water, exercise and protein. If you are worried go back to your BMR calorie rate to work off the 5lb.

I can understand the freak out. If someone weighs 123, as the OP was prior to her 5 lbs weight gain, she gained about 0.04, or 4% of her weight back.

If you weigh 230 and you gain 4% of your weight, it would be about 9 lbs.

For me, I weigh 242 right now and if I gained 4% of my weight, I would be gaining 9.7 lbs. YIKES! That'd freak me out too. :noway: Shoot, who am I kidding? I freak out even when I see a 1lb gain, lol.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just gonna say this. I honestly HATE it when people complain when they are 120 pounds, lower or even higher then that upto 150.. . You gotta be thankful that you are that slim! It shouldn't matter if you gain weight or not. Come on.. You won't look it. Believe me.. And I don't care about the bashers but geeze! Live a little. You only live once!! For god sakes I am 281!! Try being that heavy!!!

Hope this helps add some perspective for you. See my previous comment on the OP weight gain of 4%. Now to do the math for you:

You are at 281 right now. If you gained 4% of your weight, it would equate to about 11 lbs. I'm pretty sure if you gained 11 pounds, you would be a little worried as well. :wink:
  • Flissbo
    Options

Once you're back at maintenance there's no such thing as a "cheat day." Eating over maintenance = weight gain.

hmmm, I never thought of it like that though as you say it's pretty obvious!! Thanks for posting :)
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Flissbo, you need to stop stepping on the scale every 5 mins. The human body can fluctuate 5 pounds give or take (water, sodium, bacon) you will fluctuate. If you stepping on it once a week u may see more consistant result?
  • tigersword
    Options
    Old habits die hard. The one key to remember about maintenance, and this makes it easier for me, aim for a weekly goal instead of daily. This is where intermittent fasting can be a great thing, especially Eat Stop Eat. You can Google it for all the info, but the basic premise of Eat Stop Eat is to mix in one or two fasting days into your schedule, based on need, desire, or convenience. And a fasting day just means skip breakfast and lunch.

So what that allows me to do, in say an extreme example, let's say I know I'm going out with friends on the weekend, and I know I'm gonna eat 3000 calories over maintenance because of it (beer, food, dessert, not unthinkable.) I might incorporate 2 fasting days during the week, and only eat a 500 calorie dinner those 2 days. Using a base of 2000 calories for maintenance, that means I've created a 3000 calorie deficit. 3000 under during the week plus 3000 over on the weekend evens out to normal maintenance.

Obviously those numbers are extremes, just for example, but the same concepts can apply no matter what the actual numbers are. Weekly planning is infinitely less stressful and easier to manage than a daily goal.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Flissbo, you need to stop stepping on the scale every 5 mins. The human body can fluctuate 5 pounds give or take (water, sodium, bacon) you will fluctuate. If you stepping on it once a week u may see more consistant result?
    She's talking about a 5 pound gain over 3 months, that's not just a water fluctuation.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just gonna say this. I honestly HATE it when people complain when they are 120 pounds, lower or even higher then that upto 150.. . You gotta be thankful that you are that slim! It shouldn't matter if you gain weight or not. Come on.. You won't look it. Believe me.. And I don't care about the bashers but geeze! Live a little. You only live once!! For god sakes I am 281!! Try being that heavy!!!
    And that's what I told myself...20lbs ago :wink:
    It takes work to manage your weight regardless of your size. I've successfully lost weight several times in my life, but have yet to be successful at long term maintenance.
  • Flissbo
    Options
    She's talking about a 5 pound gain over 3 months, that's not just a water fluctuation.

Yeah I don't think it's water cos I've just had a week off from exercise (apart from lots of walking on holiday) and the weight was still there when I got back. I was hoping it would be gone lol! Think maybe the days where I've gone over maintainance have done it. Either that or it's taking my body a long time to adjust?
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Old habits die hard. The one key to remember about maintenance, and this makes it easier for me, aim for a weekly goal instead of daily. This is where intermittent fasting can be a great thing, especially Eat Stop Eat. You can Google it for all the info, but the basic premise of Eat Stop Eat is to mix in one or two fasting days into your schedule, based on need, desire, or convenience. And a fasting day just means skip breakfast and lunch.

So what that allows me to do, in say an extreme example, let's say I know I'm going out with friends on the weekend, and I know I'm gonna eat 3000 calories over maintenance because of it (beer, food, dessert, not unthinkable.) I might incorporate 2 fasting days during the week, and only eat a 500 calorie dinner those 2 days. Using a base of 2000 calories for maintenance, that means I've created a 3000 calorie deficit. 3000 under during the week plus 3000 over on the weekend evens out to normal maintenance.

Obviously those numbers are extremes, just for example, but the same concepts can apply no matter what the actual numbers are. Weekly planning is infinitely less stressful and easier to manage than a daily goal.

I see the concept here indeed, I do not follow exactly above, but do zigzagging to allow for beer,treats weekend. I have maintained about a year. It is much harder then losing! And i am 117 and weigh in monthly, I never worry within 5ibs . I also did NRULES and increased cals. Check out the new rules group to get more info. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating:-)
  • tigersword
    Options

Yeah I don't think it's water cos I've just had a week off from exercise (apart from lots of walking on holiday) and the weight was still there when I got back. I was hoping it would be gone lol! Think maybe the days where I've gone over maintainance have done it. Either that or it's taking my body a long time to adjust?
    Again, it's not day to day, you have to think weekly. So yes, if you're eating at maintenance 5 days a week, and then eating more than that 2 days a week, then for the week you are over maintenance and will gain weight. Same if you eat at maintenance 5 days a week, then eat under 2 days a week, you will lose weight.

It's different when you are in a calorie deficit every day, so even when you go over on the weekend, you will still be in a deficit for the week, but once you hit maintenance, any overages will be just that, over.