Two exercise problems...(Female Related)

Options
Two problems while exercising, that I've pretty much always experienced...

1) I get the worst headaches while exercising. Doesn't matter if I've eaten or not, they're still there. Taking a ibuprofen ahead of time slightly dulls it, but not much. It's like there's a huge amount of blood pumping through my head and it's entirely uncomfortable.

2) Holy black eyes, batman! I'm a large chested female and damned if they don't hurt after a bouncy workout. I got a special sports bra that I use, but I still feel the pull on those upper ligaments and the bouncing is entirely painful and annoying. Is there any special binding you can do, or am I going to just need to get another bra to wear over the one I currently have? I have about 100 lbs to lose, so I have a similar problem in my abdomen, but I wear a shaper that seems to help, albeit trap the sweat.

Any tips? The trainer at my gum had no idea. I try to stick to the elliptical because I can keep my upper body more stationary than if walking or jogging on ground or on a treadmill, but it makes me feel like a cartoon character running in place while my legs go in little circles...

Replies

• golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What is your heart rate? My wife doubles up to prevent bounce.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Have not idea on the headache thing... I would highly suggest getting your blood pressure checked by a physician.
    What type of sports bra do you use.. Moving Comfort has excellent support bras for larger breasted women doing high impact.
  • runcrissierun
    runcrissierun Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1 - exercise related headaches are very often related to hydration. Be sure you are well hydrated before, during, and after workouts. Depending on the duration and intensity (like a run lasting more than 45 minutes), you may need to have an electrolyte replacement - like Gu - mid workout.

2 - I am a large chested woman too! I've found great bras...they're not cheap at all - but they keep the bounce away (and I'm a runner, so I know all about the bounce!). Athleta makes great ones, as does Moving Comfort (my personal favorites). There should never be a reason to double up on bras - there are products out there that work great for women like us.
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I did read that if your gym is particularly hot and humid ( mine is!) that can be a cause of headaches when strenuously working out .... Not much help there sorry!

As to the boobage ... I am a 36E and I have just bought a shock absorber sports bra which are available in different "strengths" ( if you get what I mean!!!! ) it is amazing! Jiggle has been reduced hardly any! I went for the bra that was suitable for very vigorous activity (number 4) Over that I wear a really fitted breathable vest tee, gives a bit more support all round.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My friends that are larger in the chestal area than i usually wear 2 sports bras to hold those puppies in...

Headaches - are you actively drinking water when you are working out? Maybe make sure you get a good amount of water in before your workout and make sure you drink throughout...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) agree with one of the above posters - this may be a blood pressure problem and so definitely something you should discuss with your doctor...not get advice on from a bunch of strangers on the interwebs.

2) I'm a 36DD and have never worn an actual sports bra. I use the same bras I do the rest of the time because they're very supportive (firm cup) and don't allow the girls to jiggle around much (Cacique full support smooth). I even run in them. There's no rule that says you HAVE to wear a sports bra just because you're working out. Wear whichever bra works best and is most comfortable.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i wear a normal underwire bra AND a push up.

boobs sure do suck sometimes!
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If the headaches are blood pressure (I get a heart beating pulse in my head, and a headache sometimes), I find if I warm up very slowly, and ease myself into it, it eases off.

If worried, always see your GP. I also don't add salt to my food. I'm a soy sauce addict, and have cut that out too, it has helped tremendously.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My problem...it makes me pee my pants!
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What is your heart rate? My wife doubles up to prevent bounce.

Yes wanted to say the same. Double up on the sports bras, I did this the first month, you will sweat your guts out but reduce the size at the same time. Keep going on the elliptical, pretty soon you will be able to do other workouts, takes time but soon you will not have this problem. Plus your body will thank you for it, if you don't give up now.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For the first problem -

I do have super low blood pressure, usually 90/65 or so. My doctors have never been too concerned, just always told me to eat as much salt as I want. My resting heartrate is usually in about the 45-60 range, too, and when I work out I try to push it up to about 150 or so. This morning I was admittedly probably dehydrated, as I went right after I woke up and only drank half a bottle of water before getting there. I guess I'll try a Powerade Zero or some chicken broth before I work out next time.

Second problem - guess I'll be investing in another sports bra! Thanks for the suggestions.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just doing gentler workouts for now, like walking for cardio instead of using a machine? That may help with the headaches, and will certainly make things easier on the girls. You can always increase the intensity of your workouts as you lose weight and get more fit... or not! A good friend of mine lost a lot of weight, going from a size 24 to a size 4, with walking as her main source of exercise. She eventually added in some strength training and push-ups, but walking was her only cardio... and she's now been maintaining for a few years with the same exercise plan.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    >Have you considered just doing gentler workouts for now, like walking for cardio instead of using a machine? That may help with the headaches, and will certainly make things easier on the girls. You can always increase the intensity of your workouts as you lose weight and get more fit... or not! A good friend of mine lost a lot of weight, going from a size 24 to a size 4, with walking as her main source of exercise. She eventually added in some strength training and push-ups, but walking was her only cardio... and she's now been maintaining for a few years with the same exercise plan.

I tend to prefer the low impact of the elliptical on my ankle, as I have big problems with my peroneal tendon (I've had surgery on 1 ankle, looking at surgery in the next year for the other if it continues hurting) that acts up when walking or jogging. I never feel like I can comfortably go fast enough to get my heart rate up, either.
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had a headache in the back of my skull everytime I worked out. I drank about 20 oz while working out, nothing the rest of the day. I read about the headaches possibly being from dehydration. I started drinking 40 to 60 oz. of water all day and about 20 oz while working out. The first time I did this, no headache afterward and none since then. It has been about 2 weeks headache free and was the best advice I ever got on here.
  • rmil102
    rmil102 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean on the boob front - I'm a 34H and love running...just hate the jiggle! There are some good sports bras out there like the others say. Shock absorber do a special 'run' one that has special bits seem in to stop the jiggle associated with the running action.

Also I do find that mine don't move as much when running outside as opposed to running on a treadmill...I think it's because on a treadmill there's more up and down Movement in the same spot...which is different to when you're striding fully outside. Give it a go... I never need as much support outside.
  • rmil102
    rmil102 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean on the boob front - I'm a 34H and love running...just hate the jiggle! There are some good sports bras out there like the others say. Shock absorber do a special 'run' one that has special bits seem in to stop the jiggle associated with the running action.

Also I do find that mine don't move as much when running outside as opposed to running on a treadmill...I think it's because on a treadmill there's more up and down Movement in the same spot...which is different to when you're striding fully outside. Give it a go... I never need as much support outside.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I get headaches when I workout sometimes too. I used to get them every single time like you, but then I ended up upping my calories and that took care of it for me. Most likely you're not staying hydrated though...that can cause major headaches as well. So make sure you're drinking a ton of water and maybe even try drinking something to replace your electrolytes. You can also take a look at your calories and see if you need to adjust them a little.

As far as the boobs go, I don't have huge boobs, but there are certain workouts that I do that cause major bounce and pain so I just double up on my sports bra and that helps a lot!