How quickly did you lose the first 50lbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    So, if you've lost 50lbs or more would you mind posting 1) your age bracket 2) how long you took to lose that first 50 and 3) what type of plan you were using.

I'm 32

Took me about 6 months. I started in October but i wasn't really serious until about November or December.

I just made sure to log all my foods and exercise on MFP and try and maintain a calorie deficiet. The more I did it the better I got at it.

In January I signed up for a gym and I usually do cardio 5-6 days a week and strength training around the same, alternating between my upper body one day and lower the next.

I take multi vitamins and fish oil and have a whey protein isolate shake after my workout. Seems to be working pretty good.

At my current rate i will have reached my goal and lost over 100lb by the end of the year.

I am planning to get some tattoos and go skydiving as a reward for reaching my goal.
  • NotParis
    NotParis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 35+, SW was 288 and am 5'10" tall and the first 35 pounds came off in the first 8 months, I counted calories and worked my butt off (literally) but after that, the next15-20 pounds have taken longer. The one thing I would say about exercise, is that you have to push yourself to a point that you never thought you would get. If you can take classes or work with a personal trainer, do it. SOmeone else will push you past your comfort zone and that is when you start to drop the weight. There have been many occasions where I absolutley thought I was gonna die, but you know what, I didn't and I am stronger because of it!

Once you get physically fit it is harder to lose the weight. It has been 2.5 years since I started and I am down 50 pounds currently but admittedly, I did stall out the summer of 2010 and 2011, I find it so hard to lose in the summer! You know, camping, BBQing, boating, drinking, burgers, brats, potato salad. It didn't take you 8 months to put all this weight on, don't expect to lose it all in a short period of time. I can do things now that I NEVER thought was even physically possible for me. Cycling classes, ran my first 5K this spring, weight training, it is really about how good you feel. Right now, even at my CW I feel fantastic, but this summer I am working my butt off (once again) to try to break through this plateau.
  • cksmummy
    cksmummy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Super losses there guys, keep that motivating news coming! BUMP!
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have lost 59 since I had my daughter on January 10th of this year...I breastfed her the first 3 1/2 months so the first 30 I lost just fell off. Now as far as the other 29, I most always eat under my daily allowance, drink LOTS of water, and very seldom exercise....(sad to admit!!) Oh and I am 31. Also, here lately everyday I play Wii bowling for atleast 30 mins. As far as getting out and walking or using a machine, going to the gym, or workout DVDs, I don't do any of that! Good luck! :) It IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm almost to 50 lbs lost. I'm 28, and I started in August of last year. However, I kind of took October through mid-March off (gained and lost the same 5 lbs due to a complete lack of motivation). I try to stay around 1200 calories a day, and I started working out on June 1st (with the 30DS). Since I started working out, I'm eating closer to 1300-1400/day with a cheat meal once a week.

Good luck to you!!
  • samakain
    samakain Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm not at 50 yet (but I can see it in the near distance!)

1) I am 31yrs old / 5'11"
    2) I started losing mid February (started at 357lbs)... so I should hit 50lbs gone in the next two weeks (I'm averaging 3-5lbs lost per week fairly consistently)
    3) I started by cutting out pop and most junk (and fast food). I started walking about 2km twice a week and am now up to 4-5km and I try to go 4-5 times a week. On May 15th I was rushed to the hospital with gallstone pancreatis so had to drastically change my diet from then on. I now eat very clean (no processed food at all, fruit, veggies, fish, water and a bit of pure apple/orange juice - no dairy). I had my gallbladder removed on Friday (the 15th) so am very slowly introducing things like boneless, skinless chicken. My lifestyle change (especially with food) has been surprisingly easy - although I didn't have a choice so I guess that's why. I fluctuate in daily calories but stay anywhere between 1200-1800/day with A LOT of protein from fish). I find the high protein keeps me full (that and the water consumption).

Best of luck to you :) You can do it!!
  • littlelady1950
    littlelady1950 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi i am 61 years old have lost 40 lbs since 26th Jan 2012 have been sticking to around 800-1000 cals per day do loads of walking learned to swim lots of dancing with my little grandaughters just feel very energetic now, love MFP its like my bible. Eat loads of good healthy veggies not so much meat and drink plenty of water. Love it......................
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    22, took me 3 months. Came off pretty easily by just maintaining a strict diet and lots of exercise.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am 39 and also started at 300lbs (and i'm 5'10"). It took me 18 weeks to lose 50lbs. I just followed MFPs settings, stayed under my calories and walked on my treadmill alot! It is definitely do-able!! I have progress pics in my profile if you'd like to take a peek. I post them every 2 months (except the last one was at the half way point which was a little shy of 6 months). You can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and I started the beginning of January. I've lost 47 lbs. in almost 6 months. My plan is I swim 60 minutes 3 times a week and walk inbetween or light housework, gardening, ets. I try very hard to stay in my calorie range even with some less that healthy food. I just count it. I have not deprived myself just used smaller portions.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm new around here and needing to hear some success stories. I am around 300lbs so loads to lose and I desperately want to lose at least 50 by the end of the year. Big problem is my mental block. I don't believe it's possible.

So, if you've lost 50lbs or more would you mind posting 1) your age bracket 2) how long you took to lose that first 50 and 3) what type of plan you were using.

My kids thank you and so do I!!!

I am in my mid 20s. I haven't hit 50lbs yet :\ I started at the end of january and had lost 27 by the time the end of april rolled around...and then I plateaued. finally lost 3lbs in may, and plateaued again. so now i'm re-assessing and hopefully i'll start losing again so.
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am 18 and started at 310 pounds. i lost the first 50 in 5 months with at least 90minutes of exercise per week and staying under 1600 calories. you can totally do it before years end! heres my progress:

frontcompare.jpg?t=1339534734
    backcompare.jpg?t=1339534683
    sidecompare.jpg?t=1339534790
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am 35 years old and I started last Jan/Feb and I lost 50 pounds by my 10th anniversary cruise at the end of July! So it took me about 6 months to lose 50 pounds. I exercise 5-6 days a week ( started out just working out a little and worked my way up using Zumba, Chalene Extreme, Turbo Jam), I eat 1200 calories a day, lots of water and low carbs and mostly before 2pm:-) it is now over a year later and I still work out most days, have completed Chalene Extreme & P90X and ran 3 5K's! I have lost a total of 73 pounds and maintaining my weight very well but I am having trouble getting the last couple of pounds off:-)

It is totally possible for you to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year, it you work hard you probably do more bc you will lose a lot in the beginning! You can do this!!!!!!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi There! Congrats on starting ! You are sooo worth it! I fficially ostarted in mid-December at 295 pounds but unofficially at Dec 1st.) My highest weight was likely higher as in Dec. of 2010 I weighed 301 and didn't try and weight loss between those times. I'm sure I've lost more than60 pounds now! Ihave lost an average of 10 pounds per month fairly consistently. I average about 1400 calories per day and exercise somewhere between 300-500 per day depending on my arthiritis that day. I can't believe how steady the loss has been, but i must say, it feels slower this month.. but still losing! I only weigh-in every 5 weeks . You can do this!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am 21
    Took me 4 months to loose 50 pounds (well 48.5)
    Started Feb 22nd and today is makes 4 months
    Did it eating less and becoming more active!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!