A dudes war on fat (70 lbs down with pics)

Options
Well, after a couple hours spent here, reading everyone else's story, I feel inspired to get on and share a little about myself.

My whole life I was uncomfortable with my weight, always feeling like I'd been dealt a bad hand, and that someday things would magically work themselves out. My mom always told me that I would "grow out, then up" and that I was just at a phase where I was chubby, and so I looked forward to the day when I would wake up and the fat had magically disappeared. But alas, it was not to be so. Every year I told myself that something would happen to make me change, and nothing ever did. I finally got to the point where I went to serve as a religious volunteer for my church for two years (yup, a Mormon missionary. I wore the white shirt and tie, the bike helmet, the whole kit-n-caboodle). It was a great experience for me, and I was excited to go, because I figured THIS would be the experience that would carve all the fat off me without me lifting a finger. Y'know, dressing in church clothes and walking or biking around for two years...how could one possibly stay fat under these conditions?

oh my friends...I found a way.

The exorbitant amounts of food I was eating was counteracting my exercise so that I was slowly still gaining weight. THEN I got moved to place with an unexpected luxury....a car. At this point, I'm sure my body was like a hot air balloon and my inner fat kid was the man in the basket, fueling the fire and inflating my fat. I topped out at around 280 (i don't recall my exact weight, I was in denial) and have never felt more disgusted with myself.

After a few failed attempts to start exercising in the mornings, I was paired with another missionary who is, to this day, a very dear friend and inspiring role model. He had gone through this same struggle, with the odds stacked higher against him, and had still come out on top. He had lost 130 lbs before starting his missionary service, and had converted himself into a veritable fitness guru. He tried to motivate me to get out and run with him, but I was simply too lazy. I had no faith that any effort on my part would yield any results, no matter the energy or time invested.

It was at this point that the tables turned. My family and friends lived in UT, while I was being a missionary in Texas, and not having seen any of them for over a year, I was receiving a lot of correspondence from them in the form of letters. One beautiful girl, whom I care very much about and to this day is my best friend, wrote me a letter and told me that she was worried about me, and my health habits. When she suggested that I lose weight, that was the wake up call I needed. I started running the next day, and I have never looked back. I go to the gym six days a week, I've been using MFP for about 4-5 months now, and I ran a Ragnar race last week. It's been such an incredible journey and I'm never going back to the way I was.

suitbeforeafter.png

ragnar.jpg

beforeandafter.png

Replies

• johnodriscoll3
    Options
    sorry the pics are too big haha, right click on them and click view image and they'll come right up
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Congratulations! You are an inspiration!
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    You looked a lot like Peter Griffin in that bottom photo.

Well done on the weight loss.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We all have our own breaking points man. Its funny where we find our inspiration from. I hope you stick with it!
  • Ratherbebikin52
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! And CONGRATS!
  • Srmmelson
    Srmmelson Posts: 31
    Options
    I lost like 30 lbs on my mission...but it was because I was walking all of the time! (Caracas Venezuela) When I got back home I was still eating all of the food, with none of the walking. I ballooned up, but now I'm starting to get back to where I was before my mission, and I would like to get to the point I was on my mission. Good Luck on your journy and feel free to add me if you would like!
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Keep it up and be Proud!!! (Coming from another Utahan!)
  • jessicaram2011
    jessicaram2011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Way to go Elder, Coming from another member:smile:
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    Well done, Sir! Best wishes and thanks for sharing!
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Well done!!
  • Mexrose
    Mexrose Posts: 46
    Options
    Best of luck to you! The pics look amazing.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress!

From my own experience, once you have that personal motivation to get fit and healthy for yourself, the motivation to take active control of where your health is heading, the actual doing it is pretty easy. When you want it badly enough, nothing can stop you!
  • Lalala_Liz
    Lalala_Liz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You look great!!
  • bleistiftspitzer
    bleistiftspitzer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well done! I can see a huge difference!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC! Great job!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What a handsome man! Congratulations, you are very inspiring!
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Well done!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    good job looking sharp buddy
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    You looked a lot like Peter Griffin in that bottom photo.

Well done on the weight loss.

LOL.. that made me giggle

As for OP, great job on the weight loss!!
  • CloudX
    CloudX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great job! Did you happen to serve in the Dallas, Texas mission? I have several LDS friends, many of whom served in that mission. Great job on the loss, keep it up!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!