Make them run for it

Options
I finished my first 5K race May 12th but was suffering with a knee injury, I took a month off to recover and started running again last week! I am now focusing on another race on Labor day but it is longer than 5K, it is about 5 miles. It is not a 10K it is the annual Bridge Run, so it is about 5 miles give or take. I have been running 15 minutes, about 2 miles and don't know where to go from here. It was so easy before my injury, I did the Coach to 5K training program. So helpful tips or websites to look at would be appreciated. These 2 weeks I wanted to see where I am at, so next week I will start my interval runs and hills. But as for my long distance run and such would I start at 2 miles and work myself up to 5 miles? Thanks ahead of time =)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Why not do C210K? That should work well for you.

Also, you're doing 2 miles in 15 minutes? That's a GREAT pace. You might want to slow down a bit as you add distance.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Why not do C210K? That should work well for you.

Also, you're doing 2 miles in 15 minutes? That's a GREAT pace. You might want to slow down a bit as you add distance.

I will look at C210K, I thought about it but I might have to adjust it a bit. Thanks =)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at the C210K program but training for a 5 mile or 10K is going to be pretty similar, in fact the additional aerobic capacity gained training for a 1k (6.1 miles) can only help.

As you're coming back from an injury I'd suggest slowing down the pace too. 7.5 minute miles are pretty fast for training.

For your longer runs start where you're comfortable (if it's 2 miles great) and build distance each week. Keep in mind that your total training volume should not increase by ,ore than 10% week over week to reduce the likelihood of injury and if your therapist gave you any specific exercises when you were rehabbing the knee keep doing them.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Runners World has great training tips and schedules...

Rule of thumb is incease your distance 10% each week, don't run more than 2 consecutive days and definatley cross train/weght train...

You have plenty of time for training, so I agree, don't push to hard to fast. Slow your pace down a bit and go for distnace, than you can bring your speed back into it.

Make sure you have well fitted running shoes on...
    Most of all, just have fun!
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    I haven't looked at the C210K program but training for a 5 mile or 10K is going to be pretty similar, in fact the additional aerobic capacity gained training for a 1k (6.1 miles) can only help.

As you're coming back from an injury I'd suggest slowing down the pace too. 7.5 minute miles are pretty fast for training.

For your longer runs start where you're comfortable (if it's 2 miles great) and build distance each week. Keep in mind that your total training volume should not increase by ,ore than 10% week over week to reduce the likelihood of injury and if your therapist gave you any specific exercises when you were rehabbing the knee keep doing them.

Awesome thanks! I appreciate it so much, this injury I thought set me back but it hasn't that much. I didn't think I had enough time but it sounds like I do.
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Runners World has great training tips and schedules...

Rule of thumb is incease your distance 10% each week, don't run more than 2 consecutive days and definatley cross train/weght train...

You have plenty of time for training, so I agree, don't push to hard to fast. Slow your pace down a bit and go for distnace, than you can bring your speed back into it.

Make sure you have well fitted running shoes on...
    Most of all, just have fun!

Thanks for the tips. I usually run 4-5 times a week. I really listen to my body, especially my knee and so far I haven't been in any pain. I might cut down to 3 times a week so I can weight train 2 times a week but I will adjust that in a week or so. I love that I am back to running and really enjoy that at the moment. I am always worried about pace, so I am really going to have to work on changing that mind set. Thanks again for the tips!