airplanes

Options
Taking my first plane ride next weekend. We are heading to Denver. I have never flown before and am so worried about fitting in the plane seats..and feeling bad for the person sitting next to me:( Trying to keep positive & look at the picture but man am I obsessing about it!

Anybody out there have the same anxiety?

Replies

• tooboogaloodoo
    Options
    Hiya hun, don't worry about it. Im 220lbs and 5'1" and I can fit without needing the extender belt. Yea sure its a little snug, but there are people bigger than me who seem to be fine with it. I have flown when bigger (about 240lbs) but I seriously wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps? :-)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you're truly big enough for it to be a problem, the airline will make you buy another seat, but you have to be really big for that to happen. There is one option though: if your airline has online check-in, you can check in and select your seats up to 24 hours ahead of time. Try to do that and book yourself a window seat; then you can lean over more and avoid coming into contact with the person in the middle (you could do the same with the aisle, but be prepared for people to be climbing over you to get to the bathroom). Really though, everybody expects to be uncomfortably close to their seatmates, so don't stress too much about it. :smile:
  • kris_joanna
    kris_joanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I fly a lot for work & some for pleasure & I understand your apprehension. I would try to get an aisle seat to give yourself a little more room. Some airlines (Delta & United) have the option for "comfort" seating. It's usually worth the extra $30-50 to upgrade to a slightly bigger seat & more leg room if you can. Otherwise, just realize that everyone is cramped, but you should still fit. Be brave & I hope you have a wonderful time!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had the same anxiety a few weeks ago but lucked out round trip with no one in the middle seat. Try for an aisle it has the most room. You may find that with the weight you have lost already, that you will fit much better. I don't know your stats but it definitely depends how you are proportioned. I actually fit pretty well and I still have around 100 to lose, the big thing for me was the thighs that tend to wander under the arm rest. If you are uncomfortable, get up and stand in the back for part of the trip. Go and have fun. I love Denver. I lived there for 6 years and miss it!
  • betinafrantz
    betinafrantz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If is a short flight (about 2h) you shouldnt worry!! But if its longer and you are really that unconfortable about not fitting or bothering who is next to you, you should probably see if the company offers this "comfort" seats kris_joanna mentioned before (:
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Try to get an aisle seat you can lean out for the trip.