Any other roller derby people?

Options
13»

Replies

• aurorabdcrg
    Options
    Your avatar is freaking AWESOME!!! Is that your team's logo?
  • aurorabdcrg
    Options
    My last post was directed at stephanie... :)
  • slammy1079
    Options

Nice to meet you! I'm with you, losing weight has already helped me so much on the track and it's made losing weight *exciting* - never thought I would ever utter anything close to that.

At first I didn't eat my exercise calories back, but then I hit a plateau so I started to. After a lot of failed diets, I've learned that my body holds weight at low calorie ranges (ie not low enough to cause actual starvation). Plus, I'm not going to complain about getting to eat 2k+ calories a day on average and losing.

As far as cross training, we do league training sometimes, but there is more of a focus on individual training because of the nature of the area and the availability of space. I personally do HIIT cardio and full body strength training a few times a week (compound exercises with free weights).

Hey! I should say that the key has been not eating and drinking back the calories in beer and other foods that sound delicious after practice. :) I haven't been eating all my exercise calories back on a 1,200 net calorie plan, but I feel like I've started plateauing so I'm going to try eating them back and see if that helps!
  • Sforrest45
    Sforrest45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started in January for the Appalachian Hell Betties!
  • jennhron
    jennhron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been skating with the Boulder County Bombers in Boulder, CO for about 4 months now... I love it! I am curious as to how many calories you all are finding are burned during practice. We have phase 1, phase 2, and WFTDA levels. I'm now in phase 2. Some of the sites I found say that derby practice burns about 600 kcal/hour. Do you find this to be true?
  • slammy1079
    Options
    I have been skating with the Boulder County Bombers in Boulder, CO for about 4 months now... I love it! I am curious as to how many calories you all are finding are burned during practice. We have phase 1, phase 2, and WFTDA levels. I'm now in phase 2. Some of the sites I found say that derby practice burns about 600 kcal/hour. Do you find this to be true?

Best thing I ever did was get a heart rate monitor. I don't wear it in bouts but I do wear it for practice and scrimmage. I generally burn 600-800 calories at any given two-hour practice. Endurance practices where there's more skating and less talking are on the higher end. Scrimmages (at least when we have a full team!) and team practices are fewer because we stop and chat about strategy or take turns on the track simulating jams and whatnot.

My HRM is by Polar and was the best $90 I ever spent! I just wear the watch up above my wrist guard in practice. Only once so far has a teammate hit me hard enough for the chest strap to come undone. :)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get into roller derby!

DO IT! I promise it will be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself.

This! You really won't regret it :flowerforyou:
  • cindylou617
    cindylou617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Former Derby girl here.
    I am looking to get back into it when my 17 month old gets a bit older!
  • BettyGauge
    BettyGauge Posts: 2
    Options
    I started playing roller derby October 2007. I LOVE it. Took a year off to run the team bench due to pregnancy. I have now joined a new league Niagara Roller Girls.

We practice right now 2 times a week for 2 hours. Other training that I do is running 40 mins 4-5x a week, weight training 5x a week. Sometimes I will through in a boot camp class or a boxing class to change it up a bbit. I also skate on my own 1-3 times a week for an hour. Skating does not feel like a workout cause it is so much fun.

I am going to see about that Polar HRM that was posted above, I'd really like to see what I burn.

Happy Skating!!!!
  • klybarger3
    klybarger3 Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't play Derby but my daughter is a zebra connected with a local team - Molly Roger Roller Girls here in Central Florida. If I were only 20 years younger I'm pretty sure I would have played.

PS - She's going to Rollercon this summer - anyone going?
  • VenomdePlume
    VenomdePlume Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey... I'm a derby girl from New Zealand. I've been on here for a while, but have just decided to take it more seriously. Great to see other derby girls here too!!
  • ceeceechester
    Options
    I love roller derby but need to find a team near where I live :( if anyone knows of one I live in Golborne, warrington, UK I would super appreciate. I don't want to be a lonly roller anymore :(
  • merd0210
    merd0210 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I play with the Des Moines Derby Dames going on 3 years now and LOVE it. It is actually what made me want to get in better shape and be healthier and I now feel better than i ever had.
  • KeisterBunny
    KeisterBunny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work for Mad Rollin Dolls out of Madison WI. And I skate for Mad Wreckin Dolls, the recreation league...Yay derby!
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Me me! I've been skating for a little over a year with Oklahoma City Roller Derby. Made their B team in March but haven't played in much bouts due to knee pain and now plantar fasciitis. So I've taken the last month off and am on a mission to get myself in better shape for next season.
  • radiantbaby
    Options
    I'm currently just in the rec league for the Atlanta Rollergirls, but I'm hoping to test for fresh meat at the end of this summer and hopefully (*fingers crossed*) get into the training program (which is the track to being drafted at some point). Changing from a very sedentary lifestyle to a more active one, plus dealing with a few health issues has made progress not as fast as I would prefer, but I'm trying to keep positive as I love derby so much. :)

- Nicole (Nitro Nina)

18439007.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm in the training league of North Texas Derby Revolution in Denton, Texas. We Have a three step grouping in this league, and we advance at our own skill, and readiness. I'm in 2 of 3, and am gearing up to do my 25 in 5, 1 foot weaves on both feet, and toe stop runs in all directions plus some in order to advance to group 3. I love it, and can't wait to be good enough for contact!

Cheers to all,
    Randi
    *****derby name in process with Two Evils ;)*****
  • Cmill52
    Cmill52 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you still do roller derby? Alway sent on tv but never seen it live. Glad you have a passion for contact, and this is coming from a old football player.