Egg white eaters

Options

Replies

• Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ahh right thanks. I don't have a dog and I couldn't bear to throw away such nutritious food.

And you're right, the cartons are really expensive, so I guess I'll just treat eggs like steak, eat fewer and make it count when I eat them
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    MOst certainly,my pups get the yolk. When its breakfast time they follow me to where i eat and line up to wait(Ihave 4 shih tzus) they love it l I of couse cook it. lol
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I boil them. Drop them in simmering water for a few minutes until they're solid. Then I sprinkle them over salads, or mix them together with greek yogurt when making tuna salad. You can also freeze them for use later (in cooking/baking), but only if you stabilize them first. For sweet yolks add sugar or honey, and for savory yolks add salt. You can divide the stabilized yolks in an ice cube tray and freeze them, then baggie them up for later.

I tend to keep my yolks, since they're full of choline - which is a good thing. I just don't eat 50 of them at once. :)
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I save coupons and buy the cartons on sale when I can. Usually I can find them at target or Walmart or on sale at the supermarket.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Be careful when giving your dogs egg yolks! Yes it makes their coat shiny and appears to have many exterior benefits but too many can be very harmful!! Limit the amount you give or you could end up with one very very sick pup!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use the liquid egg whites. It's so much less in calories I can eat twice as much. I mix it with peppers and onions, spinach and tomato, Salsa, or bacon bits and cheese if I want to be bad.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    We get lots of farm eggs and I toss those gorgeous orange yolks. I eat one once in awhile for a treat, but it's not a big deal to me to toss them.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat one yolk out of three eggs, for the nutritional value, but I toss the rest. It's wasteful but there's no one else around to eat them. Maybe when I get a dog...
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I toss them out :/
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'm bad...I throw them out.

me too..

I also buy a lot of Crystal Farms liquid Egg Whites
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I just recently started buying just the egg whites (Eggland's Best 100% Liquid Egg Whites). I really like egg white omelets so I use them to make my breakfast :)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said!! I mostly but the carton of egg whites but if not I give it (I only eat 1 or 2 eggs a day) to my dog, set it aside for the kids french toast, or use them in our hair!! My husband hates waste so I rarely throw them out!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg, and add a little bit of egg whites from a carton :)

ETA: Eating egg whites without the yolks is disgusting.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I throw them away
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    apparently if you cook them you can give them to your dogs or cats they are good for their coats.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it's a bad thing to eat the yolks....Is it really that terrible? I usually just make egg salad with them or have bfast eggs.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What would be cool is this:

1. Save all the egg yokes not used throughout the week.
    2. At the end of the week make a delicious omelette.
    3. Find someone that's homeless, hungry, etc and give them the delicious omelette and a 5 spot.
    4. ??????
    5. Restore a little bit of faith in humanity!

Or toss'em, lol! Personally, I eat the whole thang (rick ross voice) UNGHHH!
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It has been discovered that Yolk has a lot of good nutritious value and it is good to have yolks, but of course in moderation. So people do not throw away all the yolks !

Like a few in this post said, I suggest eating atleast 1 yolk out of 3 eggs, that way you do not get too much cholesterol but still manage to get the good side of it.

I personally bring both whole eggs and 100% egg white cartons, depending on the recipe I am making, and the time of the day that I am consuming it, I choose whether to put the yolk or not :)

Hope that helped !
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used to eat just the egg whites, but found them bland. Switch to whole eggs and havent looked back. I eat 12 whole a day, come at me cholesterol.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I usually keep a container of egg whites at home as well as a carton of whole eggs for when I want those. You can also use your egg yolks on your plants (just mix with a bit of water and pour it on the soil), it provides them lots of nutrients! As a side note, you can also use your egg shells with your plant soil or mix it in with compost.