Macros for Fat Loss

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
What are the optimal macros for fat loss? I was contemplating 40c/40p/20f or 40c/30p/30f?

Should I watch anything else like sugar or sodium or anything like that?

Replies

• strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It varies. For me, it was 50p/30c/20f.
  • robharlan
    robharlan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good question, I usually try to do a 30/30/30 then let the other 10 fall where it may, usually most of it ends up in the protein though.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Hmm.. with 50% protein wouldn't you have to up the fiber somehow too? I thought most fiber comes from carb rich foods.
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing 40/40/20 and 1300 cal/day, in accordance with a plan I am following from bodybuilding.com. I know a few others that follow this ration also. Check out Bodybuilding.com, it's a great site.
  • judyelawson
    Options
    Non starchy vegetables have fiber and minimal carbohydrates. Fat loss will happen quicker if you eliminate blood sugar spikes from simple sugars such as sodas, juices, candy, chips, white bread products, white flour pastas, etc. These cause an increase in blood sugar which cause a spike in insulin. Output of insulin causes the body to hang on to fat around the waist. As a female our hormones are effected by simple sugars also, which eventually have the same effect as excess insulin production. I do 45/30/25 just making sure my carbs are complex grains, non starchy vegetables and 2 fruits per day. I am a registered dietitian and was certified by ACSM as a personal trainer. Therefore, I am always researching the newest research and discerning what is real and what is not.
  • strikerjb007
    Options
    Hmm.. with 50% protein wouldn't you have to up the fiber somehow too? I thought most fiber comes from carb rich foods.

No. You are trying to lose weight not gain. Besides, you won't be on this for too long. Fat will melt fast. But you have get your fibers from veggies and such. If you choose the right carbs, you won't need additional fiber.

My fiancee goes more like 45-40% protein 30%carbs and 20% fats. She drops weight weekly. And the right weight too. Meaning, fat.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Non starchy vegetables have fiber and minimal carbohydrates. Fat loss will happen quicker if you eliminate blood sugar spikes from simple sugars such as sodas, juices, candy, chips, white bread products, white flour pastas, etc. These cause an increase in blood sugar which cause a spike in insulin. Output of insulin causes the body to hang on to fat around the waist. As a female our hormones are effected by simple sugars also, which eventually have the same effect as excess insulin production. I do 45/30/20 just making sure my carbs are complex grains, non starchy vegetables and 2 fruits per day.

Yeah I've already cut out that stuff for the most part and it made a difference so far. I had 2 cups of blueberries last night and that added so much sugar and carbs!! I think fruit is simple carbs right?
  • strikerjb007
    Options
    Non starchy vegetables have fiber and minimal carbohydrates. Fat loss will happen quicker if you eliminate blood sugar spikes from simple sugars such as sodas, juices, candy, chips, white bread products, white flour pastas, etc. These cause an increase in blood sugar which cause a spike in insulin. Output of insulin causes the body to hang on to fat around the waist.

And that is all everyone on this thread really need to know about weight loss. I agree with you 200%.
  • judyelawson
    Options
    You are right, two cups of blueberries is too much for one meal or snack. Each cup has about 18 - 20 grams of carbohydrate almost all of which are simple sugars and some fiber. They have great antiaging antioxidants so dont cut them out completely.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Non starchy vegetables have fiber and minimal carbohydrates. Fat loss will happen quicker if you eliminate blood sugar spikes from simple sugars such as sodas, juices, candy, chips, white bread products, white flour pastas, etc. These cause an increase in blood sugar which cause a spike in insulin. Output of insulin causes the body to hang on to fat around the waist. As a female our hormones are effected by simple sugars also, which eventually have the same effect as excess insulin production. I do 45/30/25 just making sure my carbs are complex grains, non starchy vegetables and 2 fruits per day. I am a registered dietitian and was certified by ACSM as a personal trainer. Therefore, I am always researching the newest research and discerning what is real and what is not.

Stop making things up

Also protein spikes insulin...
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    I have mine set to 60% P 25% C 15% F ......not sure if this is a good rate but I lift weights alot and dont want to lose muscle
  • onikonor
    Options
    I'm currently doing 40/40/20 and 1300 cal/day, in accordance with a plan I am following from bodybuilding.com. I know a few others that follow this ration also. Check out Bodybuilding.com, it's a great site.

Yeah I'm trying for a similar ratio but always end up going on fat. I have to see what I can cut out from those foods. I'm also on around 1350 cal/day but I another ~300-500 daily from exercise which I don't always eat back.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Stop making things up

Thank you.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Stop making things up

Yeah, well, I happen to be a real rocket surgeon, so there.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    "real rocket surgeon" - is that any relation to a "Rocket Scientist" ?

or was that "tongue in cheek" - just wondering.....
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    In my research of people that lost weight (and kept it off) I couldn't find one macro that everyone agreed upon.

I found out that the best thing to do is whatever feels good enough for you to stick to a reduced calorie diet is the best thing...

For me it's been 60c/20p/20f, been doing that for 3 years while maintaining this loss and still have gained lean body mass.

When I drop lower on carbs I find I want to kill people and diet is the least of my worries. :)

But again, each person is different, I would suggest you experiment with a few, start with 40c/40p/20f
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Some people will say, "It doesn't take a rocket scientist..." and others "It doesn't take a brain surgeon...", so the jokey way is to say "rocket surgeon".
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

Some people will say, "It doesn't take a rocket scientist..." and others "It doesn't take a brain surgeon...", so the jokey way is to say "rocket surgeon".

ahh...gotcha - thanks.

I have heard the Rocket Scientist version - but not the Brain Surgeon version. :)
  • onikonor
    Options
    Seems I did good on my ratios today even though somehow I'm off the totals assigned by MFP

MFP set to 40c/40p/20f or 169c/169p/37f

I ended up with 44c/41p/15f or 145c/136p/50f

Now my ratios are good but I'm over in grams on the fat again??? Which number is more important ratio or total grams? Help please :(
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1) Meet your calories for the day.

2) Meet your protein for the day. (1g/ goal weight lbs is the rule I like)

After that, ratio matters jack for weight loss. high carb, low carb, balanced carb, whatever. Long as your calories and protein needs are met, your body will take care of the rest. Read Lyle Mcdonald on this subject, goes into detail on this quite a lot. And there has yet to be a study showing 'optimal fat loss ratio' that I've seen other than the above 2 rules.

Exception being some sort of medical issue... But thats rare.