Diet alone???

Options
Has anyone lost weight on healthy diet alone? I don't always get to hit the gym/park/trail. I've tried workout dvd's and I can't give it my all because I live in an apartment on the second story and the floors are creaky. I have been pretty strict with my calories because I know I won't always make it to a workout. I do however try and walk around our complex with my kids but that is about it......So in short...I would love to hear success stories on people losing weight with healthy eating alone so that I know it's possible. Thanks!!!!! :)

Replies

• Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hey there, I'm also dieting by myself... No pale or group I'm in... I (try to) eat healthy and balanced... I'm counting calories but also stay under my goals for sugar, fat and carbs and also try to with cholesterol...

For "exercising" I walk everywhere I could take the bus... So that makes 15min per day as a gift :-) And I'm gonna start with the "30 day shred", because I live in a flat on the 5th floor and I don't want to bother my neighbours :-))

I've started my journey 16 days ago and lost 11lbs - not much but it seems to work out :-) Still a long way to go...
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike occasionally.... but my loss is mostly diet. I'm 26 inches down on top of my
    actual weight loss.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can lose weight with diet alone. Its 80% nutrition 10% exercise and 10% genetics. They don't have the sayings "you are what you eat" and "abs are made in the kitchen" for nothing! Just try to eat as clean as you can and have a healthy balance.
    Drink plenty of water too to help stay hydrated, curb hunger, and flush toxins from your body. And if your moving your body in some form each day, thats a bonus.
    You might find that as you get slimmer and healthier you'll want to incorporate more physical activity and thats a great thing!
    Good luck!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose the weight you want on diet alone. Walking is great exercise.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    POP pilates on youtube are free and shouldnt make noise that bothers the neighbors. I know pilates dont have a great calorie burn but it'll work the muscles
  • amberfarmer99
    amberfarmer99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The exercise does burn calories, but the weight loss is in the food. You can do it. I can exercise 2 hours a day and loose nothing, if I don't watch what I'm eating, and stay away from the food that I have always loved.
  • pinkcycleist
    Options
    Try to do other things like take the stairs if you have an office job get up and walk around for a few minutes though out the day on luch walk around, use your kids as wieghts possibly invest in a $90 bike to ride to and from work.
  • kelsafish
    kelsafish Posts: 39
    Options
    The exercise does burn calories, but the weight loss is in the food. You can do it. I can exercise 2 hours a day and loose nothing, if I don't watch what I'm eating, and stay away from the food that I have always loved.

I can personally identify with this. I have worked out hard at the gym and then I eat like complete crap so I never lose a pound. I think this is especially important when you're down to those last 10 or 20 lbs.
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes you can loose with just changing your diet, because, 80% of weight loss is what you eat and the other 20% is excercise, that's what i learned recently
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I also diet alone. It helps that my boyfriend and many of my friends/coworkers also watch what they eat. I don't actually know any of my mfp friends but they are all very supportive and have been incredibly helpful.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yes, I dropped the first 30 with diet alone. Wasn't even tracking at the time, just changing macro proportions. The last 20 I did a bit of strength training which helped it along, but wasn't really necessary.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I am down 17 lbs at my last weigh in a week ago in 9 weeks from diet alone. A little walking here and there and mowing the lawn once a week, but that is it. I have young kids and am busy with them all summer in the evenings so I struggle with finding time to exercise, motivation too, so I just move as much as possible, and count my calories. You can do it! Don't give up.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 90% diet, I hate to think of this as a diet but more of a lifestyle change.

Can you find a 2nd hand stationary bike? (I have one that folds up and use it on my cross training days.)
    I bought a small compact stair stepper at sears for 50.00 and it is awesome. Nordictrack brand.
    Check out your alternatives. Create your own workout routine that doesnt cause all of the creaking.
    Walking is WONDERFUL!!! it got me started and now I run.
  • ashleyfritzchampine
    Options
    I do the opposite of you....I workout more that I "diet" (though I definitely watch what I'm eating)....I know for my body to truly get to the place I want to be, I need to up my game when it comes to my "diet."
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I live in an old building too with creaky hardwood floors, I have an area rug and then an exercise mat and it's not so bad. I've never gotten a complaint about it anyways...You eventually find spots in the floor that are quieter. I've been able to do the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, not any of those crazy jumping videos though, I think that would be too noisy.
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes diet alone works! 2 years ago I had a freak swimming accident and broke my leg and dislocated my knee. After 3 surgeries my ACL and PCL are still torn. Needless to say, this has TOTALLY limited my exercise to walking only! Oh, not to mention 2 bulging disk in my kneck and 3 in lower back! Before this all happened I went to the gym 3 times a week, walked 2-5 miles a day and did WII fit all the time. I was really in shape. Now that All the above has taken place in my life, as I said, I am limited to walking (and that still causes pain everywhere) and I wear my knee brace when I walk at the track. I weighed 180 when I had my accident (I was dieting from gaining 30+lbs getting married and 20+lbs from having a baby) So, after about 6 months of reccuperation and getting back on my feet...literally...over the past 12-15 months I have gotten down to 148 and I am 5'9" inches and it looks good on me. My goal to begin with when I started my weight loss journey was 155lbs so I have exceeded that being almost completely sedentery. So, yes I am a believer that diet alone works BUT exercise just makes you feel much better. I would be exercising if I was physically able to! But I understand some people can't so I certainly don't bash the people that can't!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Because weight loss is mostly about food. Exercise helps and is great for you but losing weight has more to do with food than exercise.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    2 years ago i lost 40 pounds and was 3 pounds away from my goal weight.
    i didn't workout.
    i was still fat even though i had a good BMI.

tell your neighbors you'll be working out. they should understand.
  • Beth_Gorman
    Beth_Gorman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think diet alone works better for me. I'm actually going back to it to see if I start losing again.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do diet along, I can't exercise much due to health issues. But as long as I stay on course with my diet I lose
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!