A Problem with Fiber

Options
It's embarrassing, but because of all the veggies I eat, I have way too much fiber in my diet. And, we all know that a lot of fiber makes you gassy.

Thank goodness I work out in the basement alone is all I can say.

But sometimes, it still can be pretty embarrassing at work or in the room with my husband...ALONE if you get my drift...and all I can do is pray everyone will pretend they didn't notice a thing.

Any suggestions? LOL

Replies

• sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Make you husband eat lots of veggies. Then blame him.

If your veggies are a new eating behavior, over time your issue should subside. I eat lots of veggies and beans too and have my days. I just give my wife fair warning on bad days, but for the most part, it's slowed down as my tummy has gotten used to my diet.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bean-o ?
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Try a probiotics supplement. I used to be terribly gassy (i eat tons of veggies and beans, average 40-50g fiber a day!) and since I've added that I seem to break the cellulose down better and digest my food better with less "effect" if you get my drift.
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain... but, unfortunately, I actually feel pain sometimes (in my tummy). I've started popping Bean-o or a substitute to help my body adjust. It seems to help, but I still have farty days. :(
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Dutch Ovens ....

I heard they work.
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    There are two solutions. One for at home, the other for at work,

AT HOME:
    Step 1. Get a dog.
    Step 2. Blame the dog.

AT WORK:
    Step 1. Get a fart app on your phone.
    Step 2. Set the timer on the fart app, and place the phone in your co-worker's area. Let the hilarity begin.
    Step 3. The next time you set one off, blame the fart app.
  • barleespringers
    Options
    Beano or gas-x
    That's all I have to say!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Some vegetables are worse than others -- beans (not the green ones), onions, garlic. I'm not sure which other ones. I don't think it's the fiber, but I might be wrong about that. As the other posters have said, over time your body adjusts and you can take supplements.

I wonder of the supplements would slow your body's natural adjustment? I think it's a matter of your body starting to produce the enzymes that help with digesting certain things. For instance, if someone doesn't eat meat for a long time, and then starts again, it will often cause a tummy-ache because that person's body no longer produces enough of the right enzymes to digest the meat. Over time your body adjusts. It's rather miraculous really... all the things our bodies can do!

Added edit:

Oh, and as someone else suggested, cooking, especially long, slow cooking, can reduce the unwanted effect of some of these foods.

Fiber is good for you, so good luck!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    get... a dog, or if there realy nasty, a cat. also babys can easly be blamed for all flatulence. how ever if you cannot get any of these, barking spiders, frogs/toads, crikets, floor boards, and "the gie in our coset tapeing us" can also be blamed for them. just brace your self your husband/ compainy may deside to "return fire"
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    There are two solutions. One for at home, the other for at work,

AT HOME:
    Step 1. Get a dog.
    Step 2. Blame the dog.

AT WORK:
    Step 1. Get a fart app on your phone.
    Step 2. Set the timer on the fart app, and place the phone in your co-worker's area. Let the hilarity begin.
    Step 3. The next time you set one off, blame the fart app.

OMG You guys are hilarious! I think tomorrow when I make my grocery store run, I'll look for Bean-o.

What pro biotic supplements are best?