Water - The benefits?

Options

Replies

• vesperpt
    vesperpt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is to get a litre of water in before lunchtime, at the very least. I have a busy work day, so in between clients I can scoot to the staff room and drink some water. It keeps me going on crazy crazy days!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Your body is made up of a large amount of water. It needs it to function properly. Too little water can be harmful in many ways. Kidney infections are common when not enough water is consumed. Your body also retains water when it is not getting enough. This causes you to swell and hold on to water weight.

Too much water can be equally harmful. Everything in moderation!

And I think you mean bladder infections. Kidney infections aren't common, period.
  • stacy_7171
    stacy_7171 Posts: 21
    Options
    From the Web site: http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/nutrition-diet-weight-loss/nutrition-and-diet-tips

It is vitally important to drink plenty of water as part of a healthy diet to nourish the entire body, which is comprised of about 60% to 70% water. Drinking water to stay well hydrated allows nutrients to travel to the major organs in the body, helps remove waste and helps protect joints and organs.

Water is also important for the spine and back. For example, intervertebral discs consist largely of water (at birth, discs are about eighty percent water, although this usually declines with age). Therefore, keeping the body well hydrated by drinking water regularly is important to nourish the spinal discs and help keep them healthy.

It is generally recommended to drink at least 8 large glasses of water each day as part of a healthy diet. In addition, it is important to drink water continuously through the day rather than drinking only when thirsty. Drinking enough water to stay well hydrated also helps with maintaining optimal weight or achieving weight loss as necessary.

My two cents:

1.) I'm not a fan of flavored water, so I use a lemon or lime wedge to flavor the water. It adds a little kick to the water.

2.) You will urinate frequently initially, but it does taper off. For me, the frequency decreased within a week or two.
  • paleotony
    paleotony Posts: 1
    Options
    Did anyone here mention metabolism?? Every chemical reaction in the body requires water and one of them (the breakdown of fat) is important. Drink more water, improve your ability to break down fat. Increasing lean muscle mass slightly will help
  • FitLink
    Options
    Your body is made up of a large amount of water. It needs it to function properly. Too little water can be harmful in many ways. Kidney infections are common when not enough water is consumed. Your body also retains water when it is not getting enough. This causes you to swell and hold on to water weight.

Almost no one is dehydrated in a first world country. If you're not thirsty and you're not ill, you're extremely unlikely to be dehydrated.

I don't agree with this....75% of North Americans are dehydrated. Read this article. http://stevemark122000.hubpages.com/hub/Dehydration-Affects-More-than-270-Million-People-in-North-America

The Mayo Clinic says differently. What makes this guy with a blog a more credible expert than the Mayo Clinic on medical issues?
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Almost no one is dehydrated in a first world country. If you're not thirsty and you're not ill, you're extremely unlikely to be dehydrated.

I don't agree with this....75% of North Americans are dehydrated. Read this article. http://stevemark122000.hubpages.com/hub/Dehydration-Affects-More-than-270-Million-People-in-North-America

The Mayo Clinic says differently. What makes this guy with a blog a more credible expert than the Mayo Clinic on medical issues?

Well you seem to know everything, so everyone should just listen to you!
  • FitLink
    Options
    From the Web site: http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/nutrition-diet-weight-loss/nutrition-and-diet-tips

It is vitally important to drink plenty of water as part of a healthy diet to nourish the entire body, which is comprised of about 60% to 70% water. Drinking water to stay well hydrated allows nutrients to travel to the major organs in the body, helps remove waste and helps protect joints and organs.

Water is also important for the spine and back. For example, intervertebral discs consist largely of water (at birth, discs are about eighty percent water, although this usually declines with age). Therefore, keeping the body well hydrated by drinking water regularly is important to nourish the spinal discs and help keep them healthy.

It is generally recommended to drink at least 8 large glasses of water each day as part of a healthy diet. In addition, it is important to drink water continuously through the day rather than drinking only when thirsty. Drinking enough water to stay well hydrated also helps with maintaining optimal weight or achieving weight loss as necessary.

My two cents:

1.) I'm not a fan of flavored water, so I use a lemon or lime wedge to flavor the water. It adds a little kick to the water.

2.) You will urinate frequently initially, but it does taper off. For me, the frequency decreased within a week or two.

Actually, the average woman needs 2.2 liters (about 9 8 ounce cups--men need more like 13 cups) of water from all sources to be healthy. That includes water in food and all beverages.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • stacy_7171
    Options

My two cents:

Clarification: I'm not a fan of *plain* water (although I am getting used to it.)
  • FitLink
    Options

Well you seem to know everything, so everyone should just listen to you!

I cite sources that are considered medical experts. Why not answer the question? What are this guy's credentials that make his information more credible than the Mayo Clinic's?
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the info guys. It seems I should really up my intake just for overall health reasons anyway. I'll just have to spend a week on the toilet lol :)
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic has also answered a lot of questions. May explain why I am always so tired!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the info guys. It seems I should really up my intake just for overall health reasons anyway. I'll just have to spend a week on the toilet lol :)

I would rather spend a week on the toilet than 3 weeks having surgeries for kidney stones!!

I was like you last year. there were times that I only drank 1 glass of something all day, I knew I should drink more, but I couldn't be bothered. Then I landed in the ER with a 14mm stone. In 3 weeks I had 3 surgeries--all requiring being NPO after midnight and general anesthesia. I was on an obscene amount of antibiotics which caused me gastrointestinal issues. After several diagnostic tests, the urologist came to the conclusion that I was chronically dehydrated. More tests revealed that I need to drink 4L a day to be hydrated. So I drink...and I pee..and I drink some more....
  • GingerBarber0308
    GingerBarber0308 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

You would be surprised at how many folks are actually dehydrated even in this country.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Fat passes out of the body by peeing or sweating! If you don't drink enough water, you can't pass the fat :)
    OMG! Wrong. Just wrong!
  • stacy_7171
    Options

Actually, the average woman needs 2.2 liters (about 9 8 ounce cups--men need more like 13 cups) of water from all sources to be healthy. That includes water in food and all beverages.

Thank you! :smile: I've seen the recommended water intake vary by source, even some people saying that you should drink so much water per pound of weight,even. It can be confusing. For me, I try to drink a gallon of water a day. Any less, and I feel too thirsty. Again, that's just what I do, and I'm not a medical or nutritional expert.
  • FitLink
    Options

Thank you! :smile: I've seen the recommended water intake vary by source, even some people saying that you should drink so much water per pound of weight,even. It can be confusing. For me, I try to drink a gallon of water a day. Any less, and I feel too thirsty. Again, that's just what I do, and I'm not a medical or nutritional expert.

That is 2.2 liters FROM ALL SOURCES, you know. Most food is mostly water, and that counts toward the 2.2 liters.
  • FitLink
    Options

You would be surprised at how many folks are actually dehydrated even in this country.

No, I wouldn't. Very few people are. If your urine is clear to straw yellow, you are unlikely to be dehydrated.

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    And I think you mean bladder infections. Kidney infections aren't common, period.

Lol. Actually, they are. Maybe I should have used the blanket term- UTI, or urinary tract infection. If a bladder infection goes untreated, and they often do, the infection can travel to your kidneys. But we are off track here. Drinking water is beneficial for your body. Period. :)
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fat passes out of the body by peeing or sweating! If you don't drink enough water, you can't pass the fat :)

MayoClinic.com notes that waste material produced during the conversion of body fat into energy, specifically water and carbon dioxide, leaves your body through urine, sweat and exhaling.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/325306-how-does-fat-leave-your-body-when-you-lose-weight/#ixzz1yRAAmSSc

This is what I read because I was wondering where the weight (fat) was going.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Um. No. Not at all. That would be some really greasy pee and sweat.