Fitness with your dog?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    To the vet who posted...

When I said 'nothing more than 3-milers initially', I meant to say we worked up to that and up until she was about a year old we never took her out for anything longer. Of course we didn't start her off at 3 miles and the distances she runs now were built up to gradually. We have a very good vet who always comments what a fit and healthy dog she is. She has no problems with pads, knees or hips. I NEVER run on asphalt on concrete with her.

Re: the leash. I'm in the UK, there are no leash laws. I run with her off-lead on trails and woodlands, so she can't get run over by a car because cars can't drive there. I will carry on having her off-lead where appropriate because she is a collie-cross from working collie stock and NEEDS to run, sniff. If she were always kept on the lead she wouldn't be the happy dog she is now.

I agree about how awful pincher collars are though.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    This is her...

556512_10151055580928619_1089571696_n.jpg

535756_10150922357623619_1994827382_n.jpg

64101_10150738538723619_474884896_n.jpg
  • thenataliej
    thenataliej Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Re: the leash. I'm in the UK, there are no leash laws. I run with her off-lead on trails and woodlands, so she can't get run over by a car because cars can't drive there. I will carry on having her off-lead where appropriate because she is a collie-cross from working collie stock and NEEDS to run, sniff. If she were always kept on the lead she wouldn't be the happy dog she is now.

The same here. My girl is Collie X Spaniel(we think lol) and I can't imagine not letting her of the lead to run and run she does. I only put her on the lead to get from home to the fields and whenever there is any horses near by (she LOVES horses) or when she tries to go home with her new friends :laugh: I squeeze my walk/run program into our walks so it works for both of us.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I run a lot with my 65lb amstaff. Such a big lug. I walk him at first so he can become attentive and watch my movements, but after that we keep a nice pace. He's going on 11 years in doggy years so I take it easy with him. We use to bike for miles, but now we just keep a light jog. I use Mushers paw protector wax on hot days when we run on the cement. Helps keep his pads from tearing off.

I also skateboard with my beagle. He likes to give it his all right out the gate for about a half mile and then he goes to his beagle ways and starts sniffing everything
  • merisendabills
    Options
    I'm a vet, so I'm gonna come in on the dog side of things. Whether or not you run is totally up to you. Running with your dog can be great, but they need to be trained just like a human. Whoever suggested starting out at 3-milers got lucky that they didn't end up with injuries to their dogs' feet - I've seen plenty from folks who have been runners & adopt a dog and just start taking them out. Start with short distances (1/4 to 1/2 mi) and slowly work up. Their foot pads need to toughen, their joints need to develop more lubrication, their muscles need to strengthen, and their heart & lungs need to expand capacity. Just like you. Also keep in mind that not every dog is a runner. Some don't enjoy it, some have ailments (such as heart murmurs or bone diseases) that make it not a good idea, and some are just too tiny to keep up. A terrier chihuahua cross is probably taking at least 5-10 steps for every one of yours. They may cover the same distance, but they're working a heck of a lot harder.

As for the pulling, please don't use a pinch collar. They can actually damage the underlying tissue, and there are a few important things that run through the neck like the windpipe and the jugular veins. Try the running leashes recommended or a Gentle Leader. That one takes more training for the dog, but is well worth it in the end.

Oh, and KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH. I know some folks live in rural areas where they don't encounter many vehicles or other people or animals, but it only takes one time. I've euthanized plenty of dogs the first time they were hit by a car, and have stitched up many a dog after their first fight (even euthanized a couple of those).

This!
    Also, if your dog is pulling on its leash either get some self help training or a couple of sessions with a dog trainer. Many breeds are quite willful -- bully and terrier breeds in particular -- it is part of their "charm.' I don't run with my pitbull but I do walk briskly. Bonnie walks briskly AT MY SIDE where she belongs on a leash and gentle leader. If a pooch is pulling on its lead, it is stressed; and it's not enjoyable for either of you.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try some of the gentle leaders. My dog has more of a terrier build than a chihuahua's. He's a medium sized dog, I'd say. And I definitely agree about working up to long distances, I don't think I can even run further than a mile right now.

This is Gordie, short for Gordon Freeman, looking a little guilty because I caught him chewing on my underwear.

tumblr_lz5l1fAJG11rppbj3o1_500.jpg
  • merisendabills
    Options
    Here's a picture of him near the time when I first got him. Left home for less than an hour, and when I came back he had destroyed the couch!

tumblr_lz5k7tiqib1rppbj3o1_500.jpg

He's gotten a lot better since then.
  • High_D
    High_D Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a Belgian Malanois mix (very similar to a German shepherd). Being a sheperding dog, she needs LOTS of exercise. When we attended obedience school they recommended the Gentle Leader. For our walks, I've combined this with a retractable leash. I allow her to go as far in front of/behind me as the leash allows. When I give the gentle tug it's time to slow down/move on. Right now we only walk slightly more than a mile (due to my arthritic hips).

When we get home I give her a piece of ice to help cool her down and hydrate her.

I would think that the breed(s) of your dog will keep you from running though since they are so small.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here's a picture of him near the time when I first got him. Left home for less than an hour, and when I came back he had destroyed the couch!

tumblr_lz5k7tiqib1rppbj3o1_500.jpg

He's gotten a lot better since then.

This made me chuckle mainly because my jackapoo has the same guilty look (he's one for shoes not couches thou)
  • azbutterfly1324
    azbutterfly1324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs (golden retriever/german shep mixes) that I run daily with. I had to hire a trainer to help me teach them to heel at my side. I never thought in a million years, they would do it, but they do. I don't even hold the leashes. They are attached to my belt and run at my side the entire time. If they start to get ahead of me a little or are not where I want them, I tell them to heel and they adjust. They have a 'spot' where they are trained to be and they adjust as my speed increases/decreases. The trainer was expensive but worth every penny! People stop me all the time and ask my how in the world I get my dogs to do that (one is just a puppy and he's actually the better of the 2!). I could have never ran with them pre-trainer :)
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My border collie loves a run with me, but our Kings Charles Spaniel's legs are too short so a run soon tires him out

Don't judge a dog by the length of its legs alone! My Papillon is only eight pounds, but he *loves* when I'm training for the Breast Cancer Walks and we work our way up to 15 to 20 miles at a time! Sure, he takes more steps than I do, but he's also carrying a lot less weight. Papillons are agility champs and little dogs like rat terriers and basenjis can be great runners too!

Just make *sure* you build up gradually -- just like a person can't run very well or far the first time they try it, a dog who's not used to keeping a steady pace needs to learn how and build muscle and stamina. You can also work on "heel" while you're building up, so that by the time you're doing real running your dog knows not to get underfoot! They also need to toughen up their paw pads -- I see dogs every summer who have huge blisters on their pads that leave a big ulcer behind, or wear off the pads from running on sidewalks or tennis courts.

And this time of year, watch the temperature! Dogs can't cool off as well or as fast as we do, and it's easy to over-exert them without even realizing because they're so eager to keep up with us. Talk to your vet and make sure you know what to watch for and what to do if your dog shows any sign of overheating. Believe me, prevention is a lot better than trying to get hold of your vet while you're on the middle of a run and your dog collapses!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have a 6yr old Labradoodle with more doodle than lab in the legs....he has super long legs, and loves to walk/run. He used to pull me all over the place (was actually not enjoyable to walk with) until i got him a Harness. That gentle hug calms him right down, and he walks great. I've not run with him before, but maybe i'll try...maybe we could work up to it together.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a 3yo Goldendoodle (Standard Poodle x Golden Retriever) and she is AWESOME! She is ready to go at any moment's notice, but can also totally chill out on the couch. She is WAY more SP than GR, so has a lot more energy and endurance than a GR.

I did c25k with her, so she trained and gained endurance right along with me. She also goes out on trail rides with me when I'm on my horse. We hike those trails as well, and she is off leash there - we are on a private farm with very few people and only 1 other trail rider, and over a mile from any road. Now we speed-walk (4 - 5 mph) for about 3 miles every morning.

The most essential thing is training. I got my girl as an 11wk old pup, and I instilled leash manners immediately. Her left shoulder is always at my right knee; never in front, behind, around, etc. She is allowed to look around at things, she is NOT allowed to stop, pull, rush ahead, etc - she is ALWAYS at my right knee. She goes on a harness and for most of the workout the leash is held loosely in my hand, with her at my knee. I have made sure that her obedience and recall are 100% - and because of that she is a respectable citizen and gets to go with me just about everywhere. She does every 5k or 5k+ with me, and I always get tons and tons of comments on how well trained and good she is. :)

polovitchj - LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of your doodle!!! :) Mine is a blue (black turning a blueish grey).

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I do make sure to give my girl 10-15 minutes of free time in our fenced in back yard. She quickly figured out that we don't stop on our walks, so she better potty before we go. She also gets free time when we get back.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

64101_10150738538723619_474884896_n.jpg

LOVE!:love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    5510021.jpg

My babies. My Aussie has a heart defect so cannot run far or she goes all wonky and passes out. My black lab is a runner! She makes me move pretty durn fast but I am training her to slow down and run on my right. I am hoping we can do the pooch to 5k!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    This is me with Eddie at the 20km endurance trial for the dogs (we trained up to it and they get vetted a few times during it to make sure they are hadling it ok) Molly is behind Eddie, my friend rode with her for me so I could get both of their titles at the same trial!

They did brilliant!

[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Shoemonster/weight loss/182331_10150841611303301_101301293300_9504799_448010483_n.jpg[/img]
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    This is me with Eddie at the 20km endurance trial for the dogs (we trained up to it and they get vetted a few times during it to make sure they are hadling it ok) Molly is behind Eddie, my friend rode with her for me so I could get both of their titles at the same trial!

They did brilliant!

[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Shoemonster/weight loss/182331_10150841611303301_101301293300_9504799_448010483_n.jpg[/img]

Ahh LOVE it! They look so happy. A working dog needs to work.