Use of oil in food

Options
Olive oil tends to take up the bulk of my calories. Oven roasted vegetables, salads, even plain skillet cooked foods all require some amount of oil. I use 3 tbs for 3 different dishes, that close to 400 calories.

How do you cook your food and keep your oil consumption to a minimum?

Replies

• antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34
    Options
    For the skillet you could put your olive oil in a bottle, so that you can mist it over the pan rather then pour alot on. Or you can get low fat cooking sprays?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I should try that. My concern is that with sprays, it becomes more difficult to keep track of how much oil is really being used.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You're probably using a lot more than you actually need to. I only need one teaspoon of olive oil to roast an entire bundle of asparagus.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yeah but the calries and fat in a spray is so minimal that if you over or underestimate its not a big deal. I use sprays for pan cooking, i do use butter or olive oil for roasting potatoes and such. you can also use broth and cooking spray for roasting.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I use Pam sometimes. I think there's an olive oil version. With olive oil, 1T seems plenty for all my uses. Are you sure you're using 3? That's quite a bit.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You're probably using a lot more than you actually need to. I only need one teaspoon of olive oil to roast an entire bundle of asparagus.

I agree. A little bit goes a long way.

I'm sure you already know though that healthy fats are good so don't eliminate it completely.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

This

I used to use cooking spray until I realized that I'd rather eat 3T worth of olive oil than partially hydrogenated soybean oil
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Old trick - for oils that you put on prepared food (salads), you can get away with 1/2 amount, if you cover it and shake it.

For roasting or grilling, you don't need much - use a basting brush and go fairly light on it. You can dilute with lemon juice (or any acid) if you need more liquid.

For frying, use a small amount and then add some water halfway through to keep it moving.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I use a single teaspoon when I use it and for roasted veggies, I use olive oil cooking spray.
  • destinedwi
    destinedwi Posts: 11
    Options
    I just use pam sprays.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I appreciate the replies since this is my first post and while I am excited to be here, it's also daunting.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    get a really good set of non-stick pans. Most of the time you don't need any oil
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11318517

I picked one up at world market, and I've had it for about two years now. It cuts down the amount of oil I need to use by SO much! I highly recommend it. It's great for misting fish, too.. instead of brushing oil on.

Good luck!
  • Lidenbrock
    Lidenbrock Posts: 47
    Options
    If using oil - rapeseed or olive and basically pour teaspoon on then use paper towel to wipe off - effectively leaving only a very thin film on pans. Having said that if you keep temperature low and use non stick pan (good quality) don't need any oil at all.
  • GISFWCoachChris
    Options
    You might not want to. I have found that I personally improve my body composition (muscle to fat ratio) when I don't cut back on good fat sources. Just be sure that your total calories are in the 1300-1600 calorie range if you are trying to lose weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If using oil - rapeseed or olive and basically pour teaspoon on then use paper towel to wipe off - effectively leaving only a very thin film on pans. Having said that if you keep temperature low and use non stick pan (good quality) don't need any oil at all.

You do realize that people use oil for things other than keeping food from sticking to pans, right?
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    if you buy a spray, look at the ingredients.

many of the grocery store sprays have many extra ingredients that you may not want.

Try to find one that is only a vegetable oil spray.

decent info:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/survey-do-you-u-1-162069

I should also say I am a chef and use oils in a variety of different capacities. Also, in my diet, 60% of my calories are from fat.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As others have said, non-stick baking trays and pans are great as you need far less fat. Also think about different ways of cooking - steaming is fab as are the George Foreman grills. Salad dressings can still include oil but just increase the amount of vinegar you use instead (white or red wine vinegar is good for taste). American mustard and Greek yogurt are also good for bulking out salad dressing with minimal calories.

Personally, I find oil in food helps curb my appetite, tastes good and does have nutrients (especially olive oil) so I don't worry too much about having it in my diet. I still use oil but just make sure it's all accounted for in my calories.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Only oil I used is on my egg to scramble them. Most foods I place in the oven with no added oil or I boil it. When I boil chicken, I leave a bit of the broth and mix in my spices or sauces that I may be using to add flavor
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I just don't count the calories from the olive oil. Come in under my calorie target every time.