You ever actually calculate the calorie content of....

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
The meals you used to eat when you were getting fatter?

I just went through all the fastfood places and calc'd all the food I would get as a "damn i have no time I must eat meal"

It was all north of 2k calories and some north of 3k calories....in one meal!

For the nights I would go to the bar I would eat ~2200 calories during the day, then add in 1k to 1500 calories of alcohol followed by drunken jack in the box which was another 3k calories

Sodium content north of 10k mg

IN ONE EFFIN DAY I WAS TAKING IN 6700 calories....NO WONDER I LOOKED LIKE THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!!!!!!!

That was some depressing research.

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I recall one day a few years ago when I waited too long for lunch, I did a not-so-good thing. I was starving. As a result I got a medium pepperoni pizza, an order of wings, and an order of cheese bread..all of which I ate myself. At the time I realized it was, of course, excessive, but I didn't care.

Now I care.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My favorite restaurant meal is 1500 calories. A Philly Cheesesteak sandwich with fries. Yum. YUM. I haven't had one in maybe a year, but I do indulge every now and again. Only now I don't think I can eat the whole thing... last time I ordered it I ate half the sandwich and most of the fries.

But back in the day... my early 20s... I would eat the better part of a medium pizza, a coke, a bag of chips and a pint of ice cream in one evening. That's obscenely messed up... and that's after having maybe a Starbucks frappuccino during the day, and maybe a pastry at breakfast.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My at home meals were usually pretty good but I use to enjoy eating out at least once a week and now when I go out I have a lot better perspective of how much food restaurants put on the plate and how many extra calories a restaurant item has verses the same dish I could make at home. I will say it has saved me some money just watching other people eat.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes. For me, ignorance really is bliss. I can't eat something (even on a cheat day or when I'm on maintenance) that has 1k + calories in it and little to no nutrition value. I looked up everything I used to eat at restaurants and even the ridiculous servings I would make at home. Now I am very aware of how much it is even when I don't count. If I am caught out and have to eat the "old" way, I go for less (like a whopper jr no cheese instead of a whopper w cheese or a veggie delite sub instead of the monster I used to eat) or I only eat some of it (when we hit a real restaurant, I save half for another meal).
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    haha i'm totally there with you! i could drink my body weight in alcohol, and since getting married a year ago (the thing that made me start gaining weight) me and my husband could down one of those big bottles of wine... like three or four nights a week. wtf?! and i totally get the drunken jack in the box! my favorite drunken meal was the #5. i feel like i'm eating more food now volume wise, but just soo much less in calories.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes. For me, ignorance really is bliss. I can't eat something (even on a cheat day or when I'm on maintenance) that has 1k + calories in it and little to no nutrition value. I looked up everything I used to eat at restaurants and even the ridiculous servings I would make at home. Now I am very aware of how much it is even when I don't count. If I am caught out and have to eat the "old" way, I go for less (like a whopper jr no cheese instead of a whopper w cheese or a veggie delite sub instead of the monster I used to eat) or I only eat some of it (when we hit a real restaurant, I save half for another meal).

So true... Even when I think I want to splurge, I just can't do it. I still track everything and watch my calories pretty carefully. "He CAN be taught!!" =)
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    I HAVE done this. I was shocked.

It's so funny looking at what I eat now, and how much I eat compared to what I used to.

The one thing that stays in my brain that makes me go :noway: how was that even possible?!?

My typical dinner now

3oz of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Oven Baked w/ Lemon Pepper
    1 Cup of Boiled White Rice
    1 Cup of Steamed Green Beans - Fresh

My 'dinner' at Chili's

Chicken Fajita Nachos (the full appetizer)

Bacon Cheeseburger - Medium cooked - American Cheese - Mayo - Ketchup

Steak Fries - Ketchup

Corn on the cob - seasalt - Butter

Molten Cake - Full serving

All while drinking about 5-6 glasses of Dr. Pepper
    All together roughly about 5,610 CALORIES!!!!
    FOR ONE FREAKING MEAL?!?
    When I found out, it was a life changing moment.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever actually had so much in one meal.
    The worst is when my boyfriend and I would get Pizza Pizza. We'd split an extra large pizza, but I honestly never ate half of it in one sitting. I'd have a slice or two for the next day. But we'd have that half moon cheesy bread which is DELICIOUS but sooooo bad for you LOL.
    My meals used to be WORSE but they were never terrible :p I'm just kinda short, I can't eat a whole lot.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I had always though it was the pizza that was making me fat lol...Cause I can down half a large no problem in one sitting.

However I think that was my "healthy" meal in the old way of eating. 6 slices of pepperonit was only 1200 calories....compared to the 3k behemoths of a meal lol
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I tallied up what I used to eat on a normal work day... and it was over 3,300 calories for the day. And I was doing that five times a week. I can't even imagine what I was consuming on a weekend. It's no wonder I was a 100 pounds overweight! :frown:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I rarely had fast food, in fact, in the last 8 years, the only fast foods I would class as fast foods that I have had were 1 fillet o fish, a spicy beanburger and mcflurries at mcdonalds. I had Pizza at Pizza Express sometimes when at my mothers which is not attrociously bad... you can watch them prepare it in the kitchen and the highest calorie pizza is under 1500 I think for the whole thing. I tended to have one that was around 900, and nowadays I have their leggera which is 500 and has a whole cut out of the middle and salad.

I think the worst things I ate were the 200g bags of chocolate buttons and the mcflurries, both of which I had on a regular basis. I otherwise stuck to baked potatoes and sub 500 calorie fish or vegetarian microwave meals from Marks and Spencers.

These days, I try and avoid microwave meals as far as possible, no matter how short the ingredient list, and eat piles of vegetables, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, salmon, cottage cheese, beans and sometimes a vegetarian oven bake product. I often have 300-400g vegetables with my dinner. But I still have the odd mcflurry and the odd pizza and yes, even a slice of cake if I cycle somewhere for the day.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    i just did this for fun to see what i was really eating before starting to lose weight. back in my last quarter of college i ordered domino's a LOT. it was one of the only food delivery services where i lived and when i was writing my thesis i just didn't care, i wanted my tank to be full so i could keep researching and writing.

my typical order would be a brooklyn style cheese pizza and bbq wings with ranch.

12 bbq wings: 750 cal, 48 fat, 1,950 sodium
    ranch cup: 200 cal, 21 fat, 340 sodium
    3 slices pizza: 1,230 cal, 51 fat, 2,760 sodium
    ____

Total: 2,180 cal, 120 fat, 5,050 sodium

HOLY CRAP!!!!
  • bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here was my normal day at work everyday for almost a year...

BREAKFAST:
    McDonalds
    Sausage McMuffin with egg (450 cal)
    Hashbrown (150 cal)
    Large Sweet Tea (280 cal)

LUNCH:
    McDonalds
    McDouble (390 cal)
    McChicken (360 cal)
    Medium Fry (380 cal)
    Large Coke (310 cal)

TOTAL: 2320 calories

This was not including any little snacks during the day and didn't include dinner in which I normally had more than one plate full. No wonder I put on so much weight! Its hard to believe I am now eating almost 500 less calories in an entire day than I was for breakfast and lunch alone!
  • alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Worst binge eating episode ever?

Whataburger - Double Meat with Cheese & Bacon
    Whataburger - Large Fries
    Whataburger - 44 oz. Coke
    Taco Bell - Cheesy Gordita Crunch x 2
    Taco Bell - Crunchy Taco x 3

Grand Totals for this Meal:
    Calories - 3420
    Fat - 172
    Carbs - 355
    Protein - 123
    Sodium - 5106

Yes, all this food in one sitting. For me, all 5'1" of me. Why do I remember this meal from 4 years ago? Because I was caught with all the wrappers. I had never been so humiliated in my whole life. The level of shame and self-loathing was unbelievable.

Now that I just counted all that up AND posted it, I feel better - like coming clean about having a massive addiction. I just want to give 22 year old me a really big hug and tell her that life will get better.
  • LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    Options
    That take guts to even post that! I easily could have put that down a year ago! Amazing what the totals are when you actually add them up! Good luck to you!

Worst binge eating episode ever?

Whataburger - Double Meat with Cheese & Bacon
    Whataburger - Large Fries
    Whataburger - 44 oz. Coke
    Taco Bell - Cheesy Gordita Crunch x 2
    Taco Bell - Crunchy Taco x 3

Grand Totals for this Meal:
    Calories - 3420
    Fat - 172
    Carbs - 355
    Protein - 123
    Sodium - 5106

Yes, all this food in one sitting. For me, all 5'1" of me. Why do I remember this meal from 4 years ago? Because I was caught with all the wrappers. I had never been so humiliated in my whole life. The level of shame and self-loathing was unbelievable.

Now that I just counted all that up AND posted it, I feel better - like coming clean about having a massive addiction. I just want to give 22 year old me a really big hug and tell her that life will get better.
    [/quote]
  • ultim8fury
    ultim8fury Posts: 42
    Options
    My regular saturday night pizza +sides came out at 3000 and I did that at least once a week and sometimes more.

In fact, I felt so guilty when doing it more than once in a week, I would order from different pizza companies on different nights so I didn't appear to be as fat and lazy as I was.
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread. The more you know!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    When I think about the soda ALONE! Refill after refill of coke. ZOMG! LOL

*sips my 1 90 calorie coke can for the day*
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to love a nandos - assuming that it was automatically healthy because it is grilled chicken - but I would get a chicken pitta, garlic bread and chips = 1024 calories!! That was just for dinner, I could probably eat a footlong subway with a cookie for lunch as well and still be hungry.

Another thing I knew was far from healthy was dominos pizza.. Whenever I would go round my boyfriends I would order a small pepperoni pizza (6 slices), garlic pizza bread (4 slices) and a bottle of coke = TOO MANY CALORIES TO THINK ABOUT
    To top it off I would usually eat a tub of ben&jerrys half baked ice cream to myself = BAD TIMES

I haven't ate pizza since beginning of January .. I occasionally (once a month) eat a nandos still but as long as I can fit it in my calories and have worked out like crazy that day! I haven't ate ice cream in about 8-9 months
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The meals you used to eat when you were getting fatter?

I just went through all the fastfood places and calc'd all the food I would get as a "damn i have no time I must eat meal"

It was all north of 2k calories and some north of 3k calories....in one meal!

For the nights I would go to the bar I would eat ~2200 calories during the day, then add in 1k to 1500 calories of alcohol followed by drunken jack in the box which was another 3k calories

Sodium content north of 10k mg

IN ONE EFFIN DAY I WAS TAKING IN 6700 calories....NO WONDER I LOOKED LIKE THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!!!!!!!

That was some depressing research.

duuude! that was me exactly hahaha including the late night drunken jack in the box! so funny. yay for changing. :)