"Secret Calories"

Options
Hey everyone, I'm watching a BBC show called "Secret Eaters" and it shows people who eat "secret calories" (calories they're completely unaware of because they don't realize it's more than a bite or so). It's really interesting and it makes me soo glad that I'm totally aware of how many calories I eat. I was wondering though, does anyone here have a tendency to eat little bits throughout
the day? I'm just wondering if there're really a lot of people who eat those "secret calories". Oh and I really recommend watching the show, as well as other BBC diet shows like "Supersize vs Superskinny". They're actually pretty interesting and they're filled with diet tips.

Replies

• loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    Yea I watch that and find it so unbelievable that people can not understand why they are so big when they are constantly shovelling biscuits etc into their mouths, but maybe that's se i'm 'obsessed'with logging every morsel that passes my lips!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My yoga studio has a bowl of animal cookies, I had 2 and immediately recorded it in mfp.
    Then I went to Whole Foods and tried some food samples, I did quick add calories for that because while I honestly don't know how many calories my sampling was, I just wanted to add something.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I totally used to be like that. Snatch a chocolate from the dish, and another, and another. Once day a co-worker kept track and I ate 17 Hershey's Kisses. If you had asked me I'd have said I ate three or four. Same with snacking from the kitchen at home. It can add up to many hundreds of calories a day.

Because of this habit, I had to make a rule: No food goes in my mouth until AFTER it's logged (I use my iPhone). This makes me aware of every bite I'm eating.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yeah some people who just eyeball it tend to vastly underestimate how many calories they've eaten (unless they've been doing it for a long long time). All the more reason to measure things out. Not to mention that there's a psychological factor where people are more inclined to log during the days that they actually followed their diet.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I assume I eat about 15 extra calories a year from bugs crawling in my mouth when I am sleeping..lol
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    those handfuls of pretzel m&m's don't count because I'm only eating a few at a time...x10 oops.. lol
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I used to grab little things here or there. Now I think "Do I really want to log that?". If the answer is no, I don't eat it.
    So, to answer your question, yeah, I think a lot of people are like that.
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i love supersize vs superksinny! its so inspirational! accept it bums me out because i eat less than those superskinny people, yet they are so much thinner than i am! o____O
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of cherries that call my name every time I open the refrigerator.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I totally used to be like that. Snatch a chocolate from the dish, and another, and another. Once day a co-worker kept track and I ate 17 Hershey's Kisses. If you had asked me I'd have said I ate three or four. Same with snacking from the kitchen at home. It can add up to many hundreds of calories a day.

Because of this habit, I had to make a rule: No food goes in my mouth until AFTER it's logged (I use my iPhone). This makes me aware of every bite I'm eating.

^Agreed. Love the mobile app, especially when eating out. It helps me make wiser decisions! I've learned to not accept the kind co-workers shared sweets. I say "No thank you" to so many things just so I can keep calories for dinner.
  • AddictionForBeauty
    Options
    Yeah, it's weird to watch people guess calories, especially since a lot of the time I know exactly what it really is..
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I assume I eat about 15 extra calories a year from bugs crawling in my mouth when I am sleeping..lol

i hate you (not really).