advice

Options
What is some advice you would give about exercise and/or nutrition to someone who is trying to lose weight? Just picking some brains here. :)

Replies

• fitandstrongmommy
    fitandstrongmommy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i think the thing that works is eating every couple of hours and taking your measurements. I have also had success with taking pictures once a week it really shows you the progress that you have made
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more.
  • krismonaco
    krismonaco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Count calories and try to be healthy--don't get overly concerned with all the other stuff, as long as you stay under your calories for the day you're good.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on the scale. That discouraged me the first time, but I wasn't paying attention to the inches I was losing. And if you slip up one day, don't let that get you down...it is just one day and it won't make or break your diet.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Protein at every meal.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i think the thing that works is eating every couple of hours and taking your measurements. I have also had success with taking pictures once a week it really shows you the progress that you have made
    this
    Also... eat clean. Cut the junk.
  • missartthang
    missartthang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try not to obsess over the scale. In fact, I don't even own one! I pay attention to how my clothes are fitting and have a "goal" shirt or a "goal" pair of pants...every month or so I try them on...I'm working out more than ever in my LIFE so things are changing...i also have to remind myself that this is not a "quick fix" to get skinny...it took many years to get this size, it will take some time, self-love and genuine hard work to make the change-hope this helps! :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    For exercise, make sure you're really pushing yourself (as long as you don't hurt yourself). Don't be one of those people who spend an hour on the elliptical without breaking a sweat.

And, do something you really enjoy! Moving around should be fun.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet (even these forums), in magazines, or in books. Being published does not guarantee accuracy. For example, some will say meat is bad for you while others claim carbs are the devil's spawn. Some people say only eat clean (or 0 refined sugar or processed food), others say moderation in everything. There have been some serious "discussions" (arguments) in the forums about these and other topics. Go ahead and read as much as you want, but be critical of everything, look at the sources, and find what works best for YOU. Losing weight is not a one-size-fits-all kind of deal.

The other advice I have is to make this something you can commit to on a long term. If you have a very strict diet or exercise regimen that drives you nuts and you stop as soon as you reach your goal, chances are you'll gain it back. If you go with something more flexible, you'll probably lose weight more slowly, but once you get there, you can make a few changes to maintain, not feel like you're going to be deprived for life, and maintain your healthy lifestyle and weight.