Chantix Success

Options
A couple weeks ago I had posted a board post about wanting to quit smoking and I wanted to say that I officially consider myself a non-smoker! Chantix truely changed my life and even though I had tried the patch, cold turkey, etc but I have never had better results. As someone who smoked a pack a day for a long time (I started smoking at 12) and then cutting back some after my daughter 3 years ago, I had resigned myself to never being able to overcome my addiction. As of right now I have been:

Smoke-free: 23 days, 13 hours, 17 minutes
Saved: $41.22
Not smoked: 118 cigarettes

And will never smoke again! It can be done :)

Belinda

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO - amazing accomplishment girl. Did Mike do it too? Super proud of you!!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Belinda I love you and am so proud of you!!!!

To those of you who may be considering Chantix...Belinda didn't even need the full pack she was given to quit. Only about half of it. She gave me the rest and I am doing GREAT with it!! No more cravings. I've had NONE of the side effects EXCEPT nausea, BUT that was only on the very first day that I took it.

During my first week on Chantic, I still allowed myself one cigarette per day. Even though I wasn't really crazing them...I'd still do the one out of habit. I started week two yesterday and yesterday was my first 100% cigarette free day! That's how it's gonna be until I finish the pack of Chantix!!

I know some people may be cautious to try it because of the supposed side effects. Maybe try it for a few days and if you experience unpleasant side effects...then just stop taking it! It's worth a try.

Love it and highly recommend it!
  • Kelogik
    Kelogik Posts: 58
    Options

He quit the same time I did, but went cold turkey instead of taking the Chantix.
  • JHPlunkett
    JHPlunkett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I used Chantix to quit using tobacco almost 2 years ago. Sometimes I still have a craving during a really stressful time or when I'm really bored, but I have a great support system that keeps me on the right path! You can do it!
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great job, Belinda! That's outstanding.
  • Rylie324
    Rylie324 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Way to take your life back!!
  • commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep it up!!!

I've been slowly reducing my smoking for a few years now, and I'm down to around 3 a day (unless there's alcohol involved!). I'm wondering if Chantix is ok to take for people who don't actually smoke that much...I keep hearing about people who smoked a pack a day using it, and I'm worried it'll be too high a dose for me or something.

I'm aiming to quit in the fall, but never seem to be able to get over that 'before bed' smoke! Any advice would be super helpful.

Congrats again on your awesome accomplishment! It's HARD, and you're doing it!
    -C
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about people who smoked a pack a day using it, and I'm worried it'll be too high a dose for me or something.

Don't assume that! Talk to your doctor!!
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My brother used it to quit. It was the only thing that helped him. He did have some strange vivid dreams, but I think that was the only side effect he had.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success:drinker: .

I quit smoking at the end of January (used the patch for the first few weeks) and its such a relief to be free of that bad (and expensive) habit!!

I tried Chantix a few years ago and had incredibly violent, realistic and disturbing dreams..it wasn't for me, but it definitely does help some people.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

He quit the same time I did, but went cold turkey instead of taking the Chantix.

Awesome, I am so proud of both of you!!! What an accomplishment.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! So happy for you!!!!
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's so great it helped!!!

I quit officially in January. I always stop when I'm pregnant, but I had started back up after i went back to work. I quit cold turkey, but I'm a masochist and have to make things hardest on myself, lol.

I'm so glad Chantix helped you, everyone I've met in person that has taken it has stopped bc they couldn't handle the horrible dreams. My dreams are bad enough as it is, so I think I'll keep with my cold turkey method, lol!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i didn't use chantix but i quit smoking 5 years ago (relapsed for a few days a couple times, oops)
    but i've been smoke free for over a year!

to be honest, it was easier to quit smoking than to quit carbs! (i did cold turkey)
    but either way, i quit both, so excellent job everyone.
  • jill_65
    jill_65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    good job...:)....quit on january 1st 2012...i just stopped didnt use any aids......fought with myself a few times about going to the 24hr garage for cigarettes but didnt... down side was the weight gain which im dealing with now...:)...so i class myself as a non-smoker too...... was asked in work if i was going for a cigarette and felt good telling them i didnt smoke..:)
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix with zero side effects. Didn't even finish the first pack and I've been smoke free for about 3 years now. My hubby just finished his a few months ago and is doing great not smoking. He still wants one when he drinks though. He however did have strange dreams but that's about it. He had to go the whole course of the meds too. Chantix may not be right for everyone but it worked for us.

Oh and great job!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I kicked a 17 year 1-2 pack a day habit with Chantix. Three months on it, one round, done! Miracle pill as far as I'm concerned!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! It's been just over 9 years for me.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    One year, 9 months smoke free. I used a book called Allan Carr's Easy Way. I would not have believed a book could do a thing to help you quit smoking. But, it just changes the way you think about it. I tried a hundred times to quit that 30 year, pack a day habit. Only the book worked. It's 15 bucks or something like that. And it's the closest thing to a magic bullet I have come across.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!