Spin Class Anyone?

Options
Just wondering - I have never taken a spin class before, but since I hear they burn a TON of calories I was thinking of trying one tonight. Anyone have any advice, or tips? Like it - love it?

Replies

• Jenyphur
    Jenyphur Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to spinning...just started 8 weeks ago. My advice: bring a towel...you will need it. :) The first time I absolutely thought I was going to A) puke or B) die.

But now 8 weeks later, I am in love!!!

The key to enjoying spin is the instructor and the music. I find that if the music is great, I can pretty much do anything.

The other important factor...the restistance knob on the bike. It is your friend. It will help you keep to the beat. You will want to always turn it down, but don't! On the slower songs, it's there to help you in your climbing. You should FEEL the resistance. But obviously, I wouldn't worry about until later.

I burn between: 600-800 calories each 60 min class. :)

I have lost 15 lbs and 15% body fat in the past 8 weeks.
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to spinning...just started 8 weeks ago. My advice: bring a towel...you will need it. :) The first time I absolutely thought I was going to A) puke or B) die.

But now 8 weeks later, I am in love!!!

The key to enjoying spin is the instructor and the music. I find that if the music is great, I can pretty much do anything.

The other important factor...the restistance knob on the bike. It is your friend. It will help you keep to the beat. You will want to always turn it down, but don't! On the slower songs, it's there to help you in your climbing. You should FEEL the resistance. But obviously, I wouldn't worry about until later.

I burn between: 600-800 calories each 60 min class. :)

I have lost 15 lbs and 15% body fat in the past 8 weeks.

Wow that is amazing! Good for you. How often do you do it? I am at such a standstill in my weight loss. I was hoping this would help. Going to do it tonight! Thanks
  • trbaumann1
    trbaumann1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! But agreed, you DEFINITELY will need a towel and bring LOTS of water. Once you get the hang of it, you should try different instructors to see which one you like best; I only go to the classes taught by one specific instructor at my gym and it definitely helps with keeping motivation and energy. Also, you should go to the class a little earlier for your first time and they can explain the positions/how to set up your bike/etc to you.
  • jackie2866
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bought at Walmart for $16 a padded bike seat cover that just fits over the bike seat at the gym. I take it off/on and just keep it in my gym bag. It kills your butt the first time especially if you don't have a padded bike seat cover. Like the other posts, a hand towel and a bottle of water. You will sweat like you would not believe. In 45 minutes, I burn approximately 475 to 550 calories. Give yourself taking 3 classes before you decide if you like it or not. I am addicted, love it.
  • jackie2866
    Options
    Thanks - a lot of people say they are addicted. It would be nice to be addicted to something healthy for a change!
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I teach RPM (Les Mill's version of Spin) and I am so hooked on it. I teach 3-5 times a week and love every sweaty second of it. I agree with the other posters-water and a towel are a must. Padded bike seat will help but after a few classes your rear will get used to it and not hurt anymore. Be sure to let your instructor know you are new and have them show you how to properly set up your bike. Taking that time will give you a more efficient ride and, very important, a safer ride. Enjoy and good luck!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I love Spin! I actually take a STAR class (30 min spin with a 30 strength training) and it's been so much fun. I've gone down two belt loops since April.

Def. bring a towel, take it easy the first time and drink tons of water. LOTS OF WATER.

Also if you have any blood sugar issues eat a snack (protein bar, etc.) before. I didn't realize I HAD a blood sugar issue until I got off my bike and was out of puff/energy.

Def. get there early and if you like the class, invest in some PADDED bike shorts because your butt is going to SING tomorrow.

Have fun! I look forward to mine the way I used to look forward to cake..haha.

14906222.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Go an enjoy it, dont worry about keeping up at first, set your own resistance, but once you do a couple you will keep going back.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love it just kills my knees
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love going to spin classes if I get a chance. I'd always go with my friend at my college's gym. The instructors are always so helpful your first time, and anytime you go. Bring a LOT of water and a towel (if you like). I'm sure you will enjoy it :]
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said...

Lotsa Water, Towel and Get there early for assistance on setting up bike properly.

Aside from that, have fun and listen to your body by going at your own pace. It's a great workout, great fun.

Enjoy
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It took me ages to pluck up the courage to spin, but I did...thought I was going to die the first time...but went back for more. I love it! Best decision I ever made and has rocked my weight loss! The first time take it at your own pace, let your instructor know you are new and don't worry if you can't keep up....it won't be long before you are at the front of the class, in your own world, burning off those calories!

Have fun...you won't regret going! :flowerforyou:
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try to go at least 4 days a week. I love it. I too have a padded topper for my seat but you can also purchase cycling shorts that help out as well.

Yesterday I burned over 500 calories in 45 minutes, my best burn yet!

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get hooked :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Why not go ride outside?
  • jenniprr
    jenniprr Posts: 119
    Options
    I started going to spin classes 2-3 times per week about one month ago. So I am still a newb. But I am loving it! It's very heard and I sweat a lot! I even bought a sweat band for spin class LMAO. Lots of water, don't go on an empty stomach. Oh and your undercarriage WILL hurt for the next 2-3 days. By class 3 you won't experience that *kitten*-gina pain anymore:laugh:
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm a newbie! I'm a couple months in, and I really like it! BUT I have a really great mellow instructor (he doesn't yell things like FEEL THE BURN! LOL) and most importantly, I have padded shorts.

Bike seats are NOT COOL. lol
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I am starting that once I have my new work schedule. I ride the stationary bike now, but I think the spin class will be lots harder.
  • jackie2866
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I went last night and it was tough - but good. Burned about 550 calories in 50 minutes according to my HRM. Pretty cool and the music was great. Only thing - my knees hurt and I don't know why. Maybe my form was not right. I never usually have knee problems. Will def go again (with padded shorts) ouch!:sad:
  • Jenyphur
    Jenyphur Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you gave it a try! My butt and inner thighs were SOOO sore the fist 3 times....then all I was fine after that.

As far as the 'why not go outside?' question......I live in AZ and right now you can't really go outside unless you want to burn the insides of your lungs. LOL

Actually, I am not very 'road savvy' and I think i would be too worried about getting side swiped by some crazy AZ driver. Plus I love turning the music up REALLLY load and having the fan on me. :)

I go at least 3-4 x a week. Yesterday, I actually went TWICE. lol It's a long story but I went in the am and then in the afternoon with my daughter. 465 calories the first time and 735 the second. The difference? The instructor.