How many calories do you eat in a day?

Options
I seem to only average around 750 to 800. Don't freak out - I know I should be eating more but I'm not hungry. Does anyone else have this issue? Will eating more help me to loose more weight? I seem to be coming to a stand still.

Replies

• LittleTrish
    LittleTrish Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I seem to be consuming a similar amount, my calorie intake should be 1200 per day but I seem to eat under 1000 calories in a day. I don't feel hungry enough to eat snacks in between my meals and I do try to drink more fluids. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i was really low for like a week or two, so i started eating more nuts.

if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-2000 calories a day

Forget the low fat diet crap. Eat full fat cheese,yogurt, milk. Eat avocados and nuts

Please don't starve yourself
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It seems like we are on the same wave length anyway at least.

I guess I'm just concerned with damaging my body like many people say I will on threads... I am just not hungry!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8, Male 200 lbs and I eat around 1800-2300 a day
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you do it. I eat at least 2000 calories a day.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are you guys losing weight on those low calories?? How quickly?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you're having an issue reaching your calorie goal because you're not hungry (which I usually have a hard time believing since most of us are here because we would eat too much), then try to eat foods that are more calorie dense. Such as nuts, avocados, peanut butter, eggs, etc.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Yes, eating more will help you lose more. You should use a TDEE calculator, and put in your goal weight - then eat that number of calories per day, because that will be your maintenance calories when you lose weight.

I currently eat around 2100 - some days I'm like 500 over, but others I'll be 500 under, so it all balances out over the course of a week.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I try avoid fat... but Carbs I couldn't give up, i know they are probably bad but Jacket potatoes etc fill me up... and i don't crave Chips then!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-2000 calories a day

Forget the low fat diet crap. Eat full fat cheese,yogurt, milk. Eat avocados and nuts

Please don't starve yourself

^^ this. changed my goal to 1890 a few weeks ago :drinker:

Forgot to add that I'm female, 5'7" and about 193 pounds.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000 calories every day. I tried the low calorie when I first started, because I didn't know any better, and I was full enough on that, because my body was used to eating low cal. Once I started reading more, and realized the harm I was doing in the long run, I began to eat more and now I'm hungry all of the time. I think my metabolism is working like it should be. There really is no need to eat so low. It's just not good for you.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Where can I sign up for the body that's satisfied at 800 calories a day? ;) My goal is set around 1400 and its often a struggle to stay there. When I exercise, I eat more. I just try to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry. Snacking at work can be an issue for me because I feel hungry often. Are you exercising much? The more you move, the calories your body needs and the hungrier you'll feel. Eating less than 1200 isn't healthy for most people.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Eat? Between 1300-2000. Net? 1300.
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 3
    Options
    The issue with eating such a low number of calories is that your metabolism can slow down as your body goes into "starvation mode". This will lower your overall BMR and therefore the impact of eating more than that will make you gain weight much faster as your body will simply store the extra calories as fat. Much better, IMO to eat around 500kcals under maintenance (calculate your BMR and apply the Harris Benedict Equation to work out your maintenance calories) and do exercise to reduce overall net calories. It's easy to add more calories - just eat more olive oil, nuts etc that are quite high in Kcals but healthy at the same time.

I'm a male, 6'0 current weight 15st and I'm eating about 2000 kcals per day and working out 6 times a week. Currently losing about 1.5-2 lbs per week.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1900-2200 calories per day and I am losing more than when I was eating 1200 calories per day.

And I am no longer constipated, I feel fantastic, sleep better, I'm happier, my workouts are better and I feel stronger etc.

On 1200 I was miserable, weak, constipated all wanting to snack all the time.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

If you eat low calorie long enough you won't be hungry, that doesn't mean its ok.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm a female, 5'7", 145-148 lbs and I eat around 2300 calories every day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Between 1400 and 1900 depending on exercise.
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat betwee 1600 and 2000 calories a day, depending on who much I exercise. I would be cautious eating so few calories. They say not to eat fewer than 1200 calories for a reason. Even if you are not trying to lose weight, certain nutrients are needed for your body to function best. I don't believe your body can get all that it needs at 600-800 calories a day.

There are many low volume foods that can get you what you need if you truely are not hungry but want to make sure you are eating a balanced diet. Someone else already mentioned nuts. Also, high protein granola, avacado, etc.

Never feeling hunger is a sign that you are either eating too much or too little, ironically.