Cardio before or after weight training?

Options

Replies

• Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    I usually do cardio first for 10 minutes, then go into weight training. Between sets I jump rope or do jumping jacks. Then after strength its back to cardio for 30-40 minutes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would think if you're working hard enough, it would simply be unsafe to be working with the weights you should after doing cardio. Depleting your ability to perform explosive movements before doing weights doesn't sound like a great idea.
  • kekine
    kekine Posts: 2
    Options
    thank you for your precious informations,I know it's gonna be benifit for me.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As a certified fitness trainer, I would get the question from clients and gym members, when is it better to do cardio? Before or after weight training? It's very simple, cardio after weight training. Why?

In order to get the maximum benefits out of your fitness plan for both muscle retention and fat loss, cardio training must be done after weight training.

It's really not an opinion but purely physiology in the how and when our body pulls energy from three sources within our body. The glycogen stores within the muscle tissue, muscle tissue itself, and the fat cell.

If you execute cardio before your weight training, two things happen:

1. You utilize the glycogen (energy) stored in the muscle tissue which you actually need to help get you through your weight training program (muscle contractions);

2. You possibly eliminate your bodies opportunity to utilize (burn) the energy in the fat cell which is mostly what we strive to achieve.

If you change to this combo:

1. Warm up on cardio for 5 minutes;

2. Execute your weight training program (glycogen is used to perform the muscle contractions);

3. Execute your cardio training program (glyocen stores are at their lower points from the weight training allowing the body to go to the fat cell for energy, thus shrinking the fat cell on top of the muscle;

4. Stretch

You are also giving your body the opportunity to allow the enzymes in the muscle tissue to increase which helps to increase your metabolism which in turn helps you burn fat more efficiently even while your body is at rest; you are giving your body the opportunity to shrink the fat cells down ultimately helping the muscle tone to shine through.

Also, remember that if you have been executing cardio before weight training and you are over training by going beyond th 65-75% on your maximum heart rate called the anaerobic training zone, your body could start using your muscle tissue for energy which can reduce your metabolism and increase your bodies ability to store fat.

So, cardio after weight training. Do that one change, and you will see results.

Been looking for a way to change up my routine. I'll try this. Thanks.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm going to try this as well.
  • missa526
    missa526 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm totally going to change my routine!
  • michellegrant1
    michellegrant1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    this has been really interesting to read actually, ill remember this!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have heard this before , but always do the opposite, because while i am doing cardio i am thinking and pushing myself to go into the weights room.
  • dongskie
    dongskie Posts: 1
    Options
    hmmm this is interesting. i've been doing the other way. cardio first then weight training next. i'll try this and let's see what will happen. :-)

thanks for the info.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been doing it backwards then...thanks for posting. I will start with weights tonight first. I was always afraid I would not have the energy to run the treadmill if I lifted first.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Also, remember that if you have been executing cardio before weight training and you are over training by going beyond th 65-75% on your maximum heart rate called the anaerobic training zone, your body could start using your muscle tissue for energy which can reduce your metabolism and increase your bodies ability to store fat.

Is it ok to go over that 75% if you are doing cardio after weight training?
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As a certified fitness trainer, I would get the question from clients and gym members, when is it better to do cardio? Before or after weight training? It's very simple, cardio after weight training. Why?

In order to get the maximum benefits out of your fitness plan for both muscle retention and fat loss, cardio training must be done after weight training.

It's really not an opinion but purely physiology in the how and when our body pulls energy from three sources within our body. The glycogen stores within the muscle tissue, muscle tissue itself, and the fat cell.

If you execute cardio before your weight training, two things happen:

1. You utilize the glycogen (energy) stored in the muscle tissue which you actually need to help get you through your weight training program (muscle contractions);

2. You possibly eliminate your bodies opportunity to utilize (burn) the energy in the fat cell which is mostly what we strive to achieve.

If you change to this combo:

1. Warm up on cardio for 5 minutes;

2. Execute your weight training program (glycogen is used to perform the muscle contractions);

3. Execute your cardio training program (glyocen stores are at their lower points from the weight training allowing the body to go to the fat cell for energy, thus shrinking the fat cell on top of the muscle;

4. Stretch

You are also giving your body the opportunity to allow the enzymes in the muscle tissue to increase which helps to increase your metabolism which in turn helps you burn fat more efficiently even while your body is at rest; you are giving your body the opportunity to shrink the fat cells down ultimately helping the muscle tone to shine through.

So, cardio after weight training. Do that one change, and you will see results.

Been looking for a way to change up my routine. I'll try this. Thanks.

FYI, I did what you suggested today, and I had great results. My muscles felt way more fatigued than usual, but I had more energy during my workout than usual. My arms were so tired that my hands were shaking when I tried to take a drink from my water bottle. So much so that I could barely take a drink without it splashing all over. In the last few months I've noticed that I felt completely drained of energy after working out, but my muscles weren't really all that tired. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm hoping I'll see some results and changes in my body after doing it this way for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Completely agree! If You do both together then strength train best when it's before cardio.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I did cardio and strength combined this past month- I cant post the image here but u can see the difference in a month :)

http://bluemorpho1247.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/the-difference-it-makes/
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thanks for sharing
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I do both!
    I like intense cardio first thing in the morning in a fasted state. People blah blah blah and argue, but I seem to lose more fat doing this. Results are all I value.
    Later, after breakfast, I strength train - usually calisthenics.
    In the early evening I play tennis, bike or swim or something.
    All of my exercises are things I enjoy; life is to be lived.
    Good luck with your program:flowerforyou:
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do cardio in the morning and weight training at night, so there is 10 hours rest in between and I am eating plenty of protein and drinking a protein shake either before or after weight training. Is this ok or is it still bad to do my cardio first???
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Great information, thanks for sharing!!