Push Ups . . .

Options
JediSwan
JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
Okay so tonight is Chest, Biceps and Triceps (I think) with my P90X Phase 2. I see its mostly push ups.
I am horrible at push ups. Now I see there are all kinds. I have wrist issues and they hurt after a while so
I have to be careful but I can do them.

Anyone have any tips on how to make push ups . . . not easier but more bearable.

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    well you can modify them by going on your knees until you're strong enough to do full pushups. Also I would suggest getting wrist supports if your wrists bother you.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If even knee pushups are too hard on your wrists, try doing them against the wall, or on a low table.
  • JediSwan
    Options
    Oh I may try the low table thing. That may help. My end goal is to do them on the floor without my knees.
    Right now I try first without knees, then go to my knees. I can't keep up with the program all the way but
    I try my best to so that's what matters I suppose.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Oh I may try the low table thing. That may help. My end goal is to do them on the floor without my knees.
    Right now I try first without knees, then go to my knees. I can't keep up with the program all the way but
    I try my best to so that's what matters I suppose.

It is. If I'm doing a video and I can't do all the pushups, I'll do as you do, and then when I absolutely can't do any more pushups, I'll try to hold a plank until that section of the video is done. Core work is just as important as arm work when you're trying to be able to do more pushups.
  • hwibowo
    hwibowo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of wrist-related injuries? If not, perhaps the muscles around your wrists have not developed yet. Keep doing it. As weak muscle fibers get damaged in the process, the body will replace them with stronger ones. Assuming you consume enough protein.

The most important thing about those kind of workouts is to get through the program with correct form. My group x instructor told me that it is better to perform the exercises correctly and stop if you can't keep up than get through the exercises with wrong forms.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all this info...great post. I am doing push ups too and experiencing the same thing in my wrists.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a lot of push ups I found my wrists and hands were a lot more comfortable when I used my pull up bar that also doubles as a rest/stand for push ups. You can buy pairs of push up stands, you may find they help.
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    I heard that push up bars are suppose to be better on ur wrist however, they do make push ups hard because u get a broader range of motion. and its ok if u struggle doin push ups...its about the process...i struggled terribly w/ pull ups now i can easily do 10-15. u just build the muscle and work ur way up :D
  • hwibowo
    hwibowo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a lot of push ups I found my wrists and hands were a lot more comfortable when I used my pull up bar that also doubles as a rest/stand for push ups. You can buy pairs of push up stands, you may find they help.

This +1

Those will help minimizing the stress that is applied to your wrists and performing push up like it is supposed to.
  • neverbythenumbers
    Options
    I have some early stage carpal tunnel issues with my wrists, and have found that hand placement is very important when I do push-ups. I tend to favor my hands farther apart than the standard form, and some other people I know do them on their fists instead of their palms.

It's all about finding what works for you, and working your way up slowly. Six months ago I couldn't do five full push-ups in a row, and now I do two sets of twenty-five three nights a week. Good luck!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hate press ups and am rubbish at them. PT has set me a routine I do every other day where I use the Smith machine and press 10 with bar at hip level (I am tall), and then I drop a level do 8 and so on down to 2, and then a final press up on the floor. Early days, but I think I am improving. My wrists hurt at first, but seem to be strengthening.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Go to http://hundredpushups.com/ there is a schedule to slowly build you up to doing more pushups.
  • JediSwan
    Options
    I tore a ligament off my wrist a few years ago and had it fixed. Its just sore every now and then but I have to be
    careful. I did so many push ups last night. I surprised myself. I did them with good form and my husband, too eagerly I might add, critiqued my form and made sure I did them with the right posture, etc. I did not have to resort to using the table or wall.
    I'm getting there.

I am going to see about borrowing my dad's push up bars. he said it makes them harder but I just want to see if it helps my wrists.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i'm sure others have said this, but modify them to start on your knees. also, ring rows will really help you improve your push ups. when i first started i couldnt even do one push up, even modified. but after working with the ring rows i was able to build up more upper body strength and now i can do a full plank push up. granted, it took about 6 months though.