clean eating vs naughty eating

Options
If i stay within my calories, would it MAKE A DIFFERENCE to my weightloss and shape if i have "naughty foods sometimes"??xx

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    It's nearly my TOM and i'm ravenous!
  • joeystilley
    Options
    It depends on your body but for me i can eat whatever i want as long as im under my calories.. i have ice cream almost every night.. give it a shot and see what happens
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a difference. Some of the fittest people on this site are "dirty" eaters like me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenism
    jenism Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    IMO I don't think it'll make a huge different if you stay within your calories/macros. I don't limit myself eating clean, it just isn't sustainable for me. To keep myself from falling off the wagon I find I need to fit in some pizza and cheeseburgers on occasion. You just have to watch out, those "bad" calories add up fast!
  • liannadear
    liannadear Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes! It would make a big difference. 1000 calories of vegetables, lean meats, and fruits is different than 1000 calories of fast food. Your body would feel noticeably different, depending on what you eat.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but I eat a pint of ice cream a night. Calories seem to be what mostly count for me. All that said - I do like the way I feel with the rest of my diet being lean meats, veggies and carbs - versus, say, fast food
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a "dirty" eater.. and I'm doing just fine.

Nothing says you have to eat clean or dirty.. and you won't die if you eat a bit of junk every now and then. As long as it fits in your calories for the day, you'll be ok.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Yes! It would make a big difference. 1000 calories of vegetables, lean meats, and fruits is different than 1000 calories of fast food. Your body would feel noticeably different, depending on what you eat.
    Subjective. Scientifically and physiologically the body breaks down food to the simpliest components and then is absorbed by the body. So whether you ate fruit or a candy bar, the sugar in both is absorbed the same.
    How you "feel" differs from person to person.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Subjective. Scientifically and physiologically the body breaks down food to the simpliest components and then is absorbed by the body. So whether you ate fruit or a candy bar, the sugar in both is absorbed the same.
    How you "feel" differs from person to person.

IDEA Fitness member

agreed. and i feel like crap after i have junk food. i'm so lazy and sluggish all i wanna do is be a couch potato. so bad for me.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    <
    eats dirty. Chocolate syrup, whipped cream, ice cream....Wait. What was the question?
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    All this talk of naughty, dirty and whipped cream is distracting me. :laugh:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If i stay within my calories, would it MAKE A DIFFERENCE to my weightloss and shape if i have "naughty foods sometimes"??xx

the operative word here is SOMETIMES. I think you will be happier on a daily basis if you pick cleaner foods. for example:

A Mcdonalds Angus bacon &cheese burger is 790 calories....my breakfast of 2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, and a tortilla is ~340 calories. My huge lunch salad with cucumber, mushrooms, cheese, avocado and shaved turkey is ~410 calories. That means I ate TWO meals for 40 less calories than JUST the burger.

That being said, Friday I had enough calories to get a Giant roast beef at Arby's for lunch. I took the top bun off, and although I got a combo I only had like 6 fries. I had more than enough calories to splurge on that AND a salad from Wendy's for dinner! Then Monday when I got on the scale I had gained .8 pounds ( they are gone now, and they took .4lbs with them)
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fast food is also packed with sodium and you may see a immediate gain on the scale, but it is most likely just water weight, assuming you didn't go WAAY over your calories or anything.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Outside of how you feel and how you perform, and assuming you're talking about incorporating "some" treats into an otherwise nutritious diet, it's not going to matter and I'd say this method is "usually" superior.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You need to eat dirty now and then. Enjoy your life.I just wrote a thread on this. Look at calories as your ally to help you meet a goal, you will find yourself naturally making healthier choices, but at the same time won't beat yourself up over enjoying "dirty" food:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/639986-calories-are-my-ally-not-my-enemy
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Naughty eating is more fun. I always plan in something naughty or I'd go insane and go binge.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I also think it depends on your body. I couldn't lose weight staying within my calorie range and exercising so I started eating clean and am now losing steadily. Plus, my nails are strong for the first time ever! My hair seems to be growing faster, my skin's clearing up and I fee, better in general! :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I need to be naughty one day per week - a total food orgy.
    I binge like a government mule.
    The food Nazi's hate that I do this and talk about it. And they seethe over the fact that I lost over 70 lbs eating like this.
    Results trump anybody's argument.
    And the truth is that my "free day" has become less and less of a binge sometimes.
    I just don't desire those things as much.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    No. "Junk" food eaten within calorie limits is no different to natural food eaten within calorie limits when talking about weight loss only.

When talking about health, that's another discussion entirely.

There's another factor to consider though - "junk' food is usually more energy dense and sodium-packed than natural food. So if you eat it, you generally have less food to eat through the day to keep yourself satisfied... which means you'll probably have to go over calorie limits just so you're not hungry. A lot of us have learned that sometimes that naughty food just isn't worth it because a plate full of good natural stuff is the same calories as that one little cookie, and we'd rather eat more.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-cat-loves-food.jpg