Getting enough calories

Options
This is a problem I never thought I would have. We have been going through a pretty stressful time the past couple weeks which has made me just not feel like eating. There were a few days where I only consumed about 400 - 500 calories which is know is TERRIBLE and would never do that on purpose.

But now things are getting better and I'm getting my appetite back, but it takes nothing to fill me up. I feel full and satisfied all day so I don't want to stuff myself and stretch my stomach back out - my silver lining to all this is that it was a great jump start to losing some weight! My clothes are actually big on me and people are constantly telling me it looks like I have lost weight. I am trying to eat nutritious things and as much as possible without stuffing myself. I am only averaging about 900 calories a day though. I know the body needs 1200...but if I'm not hungry....??

Advice?

Replies

• Bump. Having the same problem.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Start making stir fries with a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil.

Peanut butter and nutella - bam, instant calorie rise.

It's good that you recognise the problems with VLCDs.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    *shutter*

i cant stand the thought of eating less than 1400 per day...

i'll start by saying THIS- never NET below bmr! for example my bmr is 1430 so if i burn 500 then i eat at least 1930!!

and if you need ideas, my diary is opened :) good luck!
  • strongkate
    Options
    I have a similar question. Just started MFP yesterday and didn't eat 1200 calories so got a message saying that not consuming enough could cause my body to go into starvation mode and prevent weight loss. Also, if I exercise, which I am doing to build muscle, I have to eat more to get to the 1200 calories. Since I am trying to consume fruits and veggies and lean meats for nutrition, it is hard to eat so much. It is tempting to just eat the high calorie yummy junk I like in order to get the calories, but that doesn't make any sense to me.

So this reply doesn't help at all with your concern. I hope some people will give us both advice.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i eat what i need no more. i feel fine with it or i would eat more. my diarys open.
  • ErinMS04
    ErinMS04 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I love the peanut butter, avocado, etc. ideas. I KNOW I need to eat more, but at the same time I don't want to just go crazy and gain back everything I lost. If I can gradually work my way back up to where I should be, I think that would be best.

My thing is, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. And if I am still hundreds of calories away from my goal, it doesn't make sense to force food if I'm already full even though I know I need to be closer to my goal. I will try peanut butter and some different things tomorrow and see if that gets me closer.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I love the peanut butter, avocado, etc. ideas. I KNOW I need to eat more, but at the same time I don't want to just go crazy and gain back everything I lost. If I can gradually work my way back up to where I should be, I think that would be best.

My thing is, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. And if I am still hundreds of calories away from my goal, it doesn't make sense to force food if I'm already full even though I know I need to be closer to my goal. I will try peanut butter and some different things tomorrow and see if that gets me closer.

welcome to my life! I don't want to force myself to eat but I'm eating about 400 calories under my goal...
  • ErinMS04
    ErinMS04 Posts: 9
    Options

welcome to my life! I don't want to force myself to eat but I'm eating about 400 calories under my goal...

I'm glad I'm not alone! It seems like such a crazy problem to have! I guess I'll just work on finding more high cal things to add.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    nuts
    avocados
    peanut butter
    full fat cheeses and yogurts
    olive oil!!....it's 119 calories for just one tablespoon
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Intuitive eating is great in theory, but a lot of people find that when they are consistently under-eating, their appetite adjusts so that they no longer feel as hungry. Then when they eat more, after a while they get hungrier. So it might feel like you're forcing yourself for a little while, but you should soon adjust.

Also, don't forget you can drink your calories. Milk, for example. Cutting out liquid calories is a popular way of cutting down cals, so doing the opposite could be a good way for you to increase yours.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I munch on almonds to keep my calorie count at 1200. :) I also buy Luna bars-- my favorite is Nuts over Chocolate. A lot of protein, a bit of sugar, and 180 calories. Not the worst snack, and it helps up my number as well. It's hard when my lunch and dinner usually net to around 450 - 500 max. :/ Makes it hard to find room for the other 800 calories!! :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

Intuitive eating is great in theory, but a lot of people find that when they are consistently under-eating, their appetite adjusts so that they no longer feel as hungry. Then when they eat more, after a while they get hungrier. So it might feel like you're forcing yourself for a little while, but you should soon adjust.

Also, don't forget you can drink your calories. Milk, for example. Cutting out liquid calories is a popular way of cutting down cals, so doing the opposite could be a good way for you to increase yours.
    Excellent advice, well said.
  • Sounds just like me! there are days i am like 500 calories under my goal but I am just not hungry!