Help I'm under on calories by a lot!!

Options
So I am allotted 1200 calories per day based on my weight and how much I want to lose. So I just logged my dinner for today (the last thing I was going to eat today) and I am under by 823 calories!! I had a breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee, and a snack and am still under! I worked out today and burned 600 calories so MFP applies this to my daily calories but am I really supposed to eat 1800? Is it ok to be this far under or should I up my calorie intake on days I work out like this? I'm just a little confused : )

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's ok for just one day but I wouldn't make it a habit.
  • mmmicheller
    Options
    I've been like this for the past week. I seem to only be eating under 1200 calories even when I'm trying to eat as much as I can. I've been working out too so my average net calories has been below 1200 since friday. -sigh-
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    you need to make your diary public so we can see. You're not trying to eat your work out calories are you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Step one: grab spoon
    Step two: grab peanut butter jar
    Step three: insert spoon in peanut butter jar
    Step four: enjoy.

I do this all the time
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I do this all the time

I do this all the time, too .... even on days where I shouldn't...
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What he said.

And yes, it's fine to eat 1800 calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Btw, the majority of women i work with eat 1800+ calories.
  • etay888
    etay888 Posts: 17
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "eating my workout calories". MFP tells me "you have earned 600 calories from exercise today" This is why I am confused- do I stick with my original 1200? Because MFP automatically adds these 600 to my daily calories which usually I do not eat- then goes on to tell me I am eating too few calories...
  • etay888
    Options

I do this all the time

Haha this is great!
  • etay888
    Options
    you need to make your diary public so we can see. You're not trying to eat your work out calories are you?

I made it public, took me a minute to figure it out lol Hope this helps!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    On days that I'm hungry, I eat my exercise calories *points to the peanut butter post*

If I'm not hungry, I just let it go :)
  • cdowling04106
    Options
    I had the same issue today. Fell short by 450 calories of my 1500 a day allotment. Guess I can steal a few of the kids fries!
  • rasja
    rasja Posts: 17
    Options

I do this all the time

I keep ending up way under calorie-wise also, so I was just looking up Jif extra crunchy peanut butter to see if I should eat 1 or 2 tbsp!
  • rasja
    rasja Posts: 17
    Options
    On days that I'm hungry, I eat my exercise calories *points to the peanut butter post*

If I'm not hungry, I just let it go :)

You bring up a good point. I keep ending up way under calorie-wise, but I'm not hungry.

Right now, I'm not hungry and I have 528 calories left for the day. I already jogged today, but I was going to head out into the garage and get on the treadmill to walk, too, which will increase my calorie deficit.

I think I'm going to stick with your line of thinking--if we're not hungry, we're not hungry. Why eat then? Why try to meet the daily limits? I was just thinking about eating peanut butter to do so, but that doesn't really make sense if I'm not hungry.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "eating my workout calories". MFP tells me "you have earned 600 calories from exercise today" This is why I am confused- do I stick with my original 1200? Because MFP automatically adds these 600 to my daily calories which usually I do not eat- then goes on to tell me I am eating too few calories...

Following MFP, it is set up to include a deficit. When you add exercise, it adds calories as you should eat more while exercising, so your body doesn't catabolize lean body mass (aka, losing muscle) as it can lead to a slower metabolism. Additionally, it's muscle easier to lose muscle than body fat and fat is what makes the body looks ugly, squishes/bulky. This is why you hear the term skinny fat. Many peoples (especially cardio *kitten*) tend to lose weight but not fat. For women, it would be a person with normal range weight and 25% + body fat.

This is a huge fight on this board about eating them back. Some suggest listening to your body, if you are hungry eat them, if you are not then dont. The problem with that method is your body can't tell how many calories you eat, but rather quantity. Others like myself, believe in fueling your body so you can burn more fat than just weight. This is why I suggest eating 50-75% of your exercise calories if MFP is the one suggesting.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I have couple suggestions.

Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim) - use whole or 2%
    Light Mayo - use regular mayo
    Newman's Own - Light Ceasar Salad Dressing - use regular

Also, don't be scared of adding healthy oils and more protein to your menu. HTH.
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Also, don't be scared of adding healthy oils and more protein to your menu. HTH.

^^ This. Also I think that you should never be eating less than 1200 calories. Not everyone on MFP likes to eat back their workout calories (heaven knows that I do) and I think that is generally fine but eating less than 1200 calories is just not healthy. Your body needs this basic level of carbs, fat and protein to carry out basic functions. Over time, you are more likely to be losing muscle than fat when you are at a calorie level that is so low that you are bordering on starvation mode (this doesn't happen overnight).

Again you don't have to eat all of your workout calories back but you should be aiming to at least hit 1200 everyday.
  • etay888
    Options

Wouldn't this just up my intake of calories and not add to overall nutrition? I do light of these three things because the regular versions have sooo much fat. I will just up the calorie count with veggies and lean protien
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Except for one day, when I went over calories for a little bit, I've basically only been eating half my exercise calories back. Averaging total caloric intake of 1450 or so. I'm older and small, and too afraid to eat all my exercise calories myself, plus I feel OK on what I'm eating, really, not starving at all!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    This may be useful too. I was looking at the correlation between calories and body fat. And what I came up with was if you want to have lower body fat, then you need to fuel your body. It is my experience, most people need more than 1200 calories, especially if exercising.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results&page=1#posts-5425208