Quit Smoking on Monday... 2lb Gain Today

Options
Yikes! I wasn't expecting a huge loss today, and I would have been fine with even staying the same, but 2lb gain???? OUCH!

I swear I was reaching for healthy snacks, carrots, apples okay.... the occasional sucker...

Sheesh, I'm gonna have to work hard this week!

Any words of advice???

Replies

• rach_00
    rach_00 Posts: 72
    Options
    Im in the same situation as you.
    Ive quit smoking today and im worried about the weight gain.
    All you can do is getting moving-alot more than usual I guess.
  • parailroad
    Options
    just started here today. cut back to 2 cigs a day since february and have gained 15 pounds, on top of what i already gained through menopause. made the mistake of cutting back to 900 calories and increasing exercise at the same time. my co-worker directed me to this site to get a better balance.
    from what i've heard from others more activity is really the key to losing or not gaining, when quitting smoking.
    good luck!
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 weeks ago. The first few days I made myself run up and down the stairs 10 tems whenever I felt the urge. Totally helped as I could barely breathed afterwards!
    Don't give up!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    its just water relax :smokin:
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking last august...I'm here because I put on 45 lbs from it. I wasn't exactly skinny as it was...but sheesh. Don't give up though and fight the good fight.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    The problem with weight gain after you quit smoking is that food is going to taste alot better to you. If you manage this with calorie control and exercise by using MFP you will be able to balance the new cravings that you are going to have. It's a process that is worth it considering the overall health benefits you are going to achieve by quitting smoking. You can do it !
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to quit this week....and I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN!
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 on top of what I already needed to lose. Its been 8 months. I know it is my eating habits though and I have been gaining and losing the same weight since I quit :( Eventually I will just get sick of the weight and hopefully it will come off!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Be strong your getting ready of a horrible nasty habit. It takes a while for the body to adjust. Food will taste better and you'll be much better off in the long run.

Think of this. Im allergic to Tabacco. Your doing me a favor also.
  • crazyjlyn
    crazyjlyn Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it is just water, we'll see what happens at next weeks weigh in.

I'm pretty much over the cravings, a few deep breaths helps.

I guess ill just keep fighting and knowing I'm doing my best!!!
  • pfunkmort
    pfunkmort Posts: 2
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for about 10 years and I spent about 8 of those years actively trying to quit. I tried everything there was, and it frustrated me to no end, and I got really depressed. But finally, I was able to do it. So, if nothing else, I'd stress how great it is that you're actually trying to quit and going through with it.

I also gained a little weight with it, but for me the answer was the same thing that helped me quit smoking in the first place. Any time I would have a craving (as time would allow), I'd just get up, take a couple deep breaths, and go take a walk. Breaking your routine, and getting out of the environments where you smoke helps a lot (at least for me) and walking helped me deal with the anxiety. By that same token, I dropped some weight when I did it as well.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting :) Though I have never been a smoker, I can't imagine trying to quit while also trying to lose weight is easy. Kudos to you, girl! You'll get rid of those 2 lbs in no time, just keep going like you're going. Make each day better than the one before it (or try like hell!) :bigsmile:
  • serek1
    serek1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel 'ya! I started smoking 26 years ago, and tomorrow will be my 2 week anniversary off cigarettes. I'm 47, a nursing professor (yeah...I know, right...) and was so tired of paying out the nose for cigarettes! I quickly escalated to a pack-a-day habit when I started (in the 80's in the Army), and have been there (occasionally more) ever since.

I've tried and failed before but this time I'm trying the medication, Chantix. So far so good! I haven't murdered anyone and I don't want to smoke. I started running more and lifting weights on campus the week I started the meds, and now I'm tightening up in a nice way (All my pants still fit...fingers crossed). One revelation that seems to have helped, is that smoking a pack of cigarettes burns about 250 extra calories a day. I factor that into my calorie diary every day (under the food option to enter just calories), and that hopefully covers the slowing in my metabolism. I'm really hoping to avoid the weight gain...that would definitely contribute to a relapse!
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    :happy: I quit smoking in November and I did gain alittle bit of weight afterwards - but I can work those pounds off - I can't work off lung cancer! I would rather work my butt off losing weight and have less of a worry about getting lung cancer. Plus I am saving SO much money by not smoking - use that to join a gym!
  • HeatherGTaylor
    HeatherGTaylor Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :happy: I quit smoking in November and I did gain alittle bit of weight afterwards - but I can work those pounds off - I can't work off lung cancer! I would rather work my butt off losing weight and have less of a worry about getting lung cancer. Plus I am saving SO much money by not smoking - use that to join a gym!

THANK YOU!! I have recently decided to quit smoking and was thinking is it worth it to gain weight if I quit but you just answered my question.