Morning workout...do I need to eat?

Options
I've just started my weight loss...well let's see...my life change since my ultimate goal is to change my life and not just lose weight...and I'm pretty new to the entire "exercising" thing.

So, I'm asking for help. I've started the Couch to 5K program on Monday 11/9 and I'm wondering if I need to eat something before I get on the treadmill. I get up at 4:30am to work out for the half hour. I eat breakfast after working out and taking a shower. I live about 45 minutes away from my job and have to be there by 7am. I prefer to work out in the morning and can't seem to work out in the evenings...to busy and I love cuddling with my boyfriend on the couch watching movies!! Hence the reason I'm changing my life and doing the COUCH to 5k.

Anyways...any insight to when & what I should be eating before/after a workout would be great. Something I don't have to cook would be even better. I'm not a morning person at all, so this getting up at 4:30am thing is a huge deal for me.

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I run better on an empty stomach. So, I don't eat anything before I work out in the mornings, but that's just me.

I would think a banana for other fruit would be a good starter.
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't run as far if I eat before my workout. I get cramps and feel blah.
    I eat after and it's fine.

sometimes if I'm starving I'll grab a mouthfull of natural reduced fat peanut butter, or 1/4 of an apple.
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    I always workout before eating breakfast.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I would just listen to your body. I would make sure that you drink some water before you work out like at least an 8 oz glass of water and then get on the treadmill. If you aren't hungry then workout and then eat a good breakfast. If that is working out for you then great. However, if you are feeling like you are ravished after working out and you are eating too many calories throughout the day then I would try to eat something small before a workout and then eat a normal breakfast afterward. I find that oatmeal feels me up and it only takes about five minutes in the morning throw in some fresh blueberries and it makes it sweet and yummy. Just listen to your body and do what works for you. Try a few things and see how you feel throughout the day and which one makes you feel better. I don't always eat before a workout. If I am doing a swimming workout I always eat some protein before swimming and a small snack afterward otherwise I eat too much because swimming will make you extremely hungry. Hope this helps!! Congrats on making the decision to start!!!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of glycogen and fatty acids available to fuel a 30 minute run even if you haven't eaten since dinner. Water is important to sip before/during/after the workout.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, but from what I hear, you should eat something half hour before you actually work out, so you'd have to get up at 4:00 AM :yawn: I wake up that early as well for my work out and I never eat anything before hand because there's no time and I usually do like a 6-7 mile run in the morning. I eat breakfast when I get home after my workout, which I think is better, because your body is still burning calories after you work out. Good luck on your journey! :drinker:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I don't eat or even drink more than an ounce of water before running. I can run 13 miles that way without any trouble. I do usually drink about 8 oz during the run, but that's it. I really think it's an individual decision based on what your body needs
  • becca0903
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info! It looks like the consensus is exactly what I've been doing...eating after I workout. I do drink water before I get on the treadmill...a little during...and a lot after. Thanks again!!

285221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's completely up to you. I like doing morning workouts on an empty stomach and refueling afterward. Drink water before and during, of course. :)