Anyone else working out with your tweenager?

Options
I've been working out with my 13 year old daughter. She asked me to help her get in better shape. I'm 5'2 and 220 (down 10) pounds and she's discouraged that she 'only lost' 3 pounds so far. I think she's doing great. Has anyone else been in this boat and how did you help your child stay positive?

Replies

• merisendabills
    Options
    I haven't (don't have any kids) but would encourage her to look at her progress from all aspects, not just what the scale says. Have her take measurements, notice how her clothes fit, how she feels etc. It's not just a number on a scale!
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    At 13, her body needs different things than yours does...I'm not saying I know exactly what that is, but I'm assuming maybe more calories and more vitamin rich and healthier foods...no matter what, don't let her get discouraged...make her realize that you've been there before with her and you think she's doing good...try not to use any negative terminology.

I think it is awesome that you are helping your daughter. I am actually doing research in parental influence and how parents model and support their kids...so I say kudos for you for being an awesome role model to you daughter!
  • artishamoore
    Options
    I'm working out and trying to eat better along with my 13 year old daughter and 17 year old son. My husband and I are both 42 and I'm a breast cancer survivor. My kids are both athletes and have been bugging me to do better. As much as I hate to exercise, I have to say it's a lot more fun doing it as a family.
  • parnyparn
    parnyparn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I current work out with my 13 yr old we do Turbo jam, and a 3mile walk. She is my biggest supporter she is down 8lbs from when we started in April before I joined MFP to now.

She eats the same meals I eat so we keep each other in check.