Opposite "Diets"

Options
My boyfriend and I are both trying to get healthier. I need to lose excess fat (approx. 30 lbs) and gain muscle, while he is trying to gain weight (approx 40lbs). We are both going to be starting P90x as well as he does more weights and I do more cardio so the exercise portion will meet both our needs. I was wondering if any one has suggestions as far as the nutrition part goes. It seems to be difficult to figure out as I need low calorie options and he needs higher calorie options. We both want to eat healthy, but I do not want to eat where the amount is limited (due to higher calorie options) and he is having difficulty getting the amount of calories he needs from my low calorie options (too much to eat).

Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat! I want to lose 20-30 pounds and my boyfriend desperately needs to gain so he can get some muscle. I make my low calorie/healthy dinners and he eats them with me but also eats additional food with it and he will take bigger portions of meat and less veggies. He also drinks protein shakes for extra calories. I encourage my guy to eat more for breakfast and lunch (when we aren't together) so that he won't need to eat a lot around me. He's also taken a liking to bison. Good luck!!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Still eat the same meals and take appropiate portion sizes for yourself. He obviously taking more than you. Then he also should be snacking on calorie dense foods through out the day. Nuts/nut butters, fruits ie: bananas, avocado, rice, pasta, full fat proteins, etc. Good luck!
  • HolyJellyfish
    Options
    My BF and I are also on opposite diets. I typically cook healthy meals for myself, and just give him a larger portion. It definitely cuts down on kitchen duties.

For example - A typical breakfast for me would be two scrambled eggs, 1 oz cheese, cup grapes, toast with peanut butter.

I'd make the same for him, except add a sausage to the mix.

Hope that helps! <3