5ft ladies, what is your calorie number?

Options
1200 calories is way too little for me, I am starving with this amount, but am only 5ft. I feel that I am the only person in the whole world that can't do this. I weigh 167lbs and am suppose to eat this amount to lose weight. I feel like a total failure. Thats why I can't do this counting calories.

Replies

• MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    According to MFP my calorie intake daily should be 1390. I get between 1200-1500 a day (after exercise calories are taken into account).
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and my goal is 1250. However, depending on how much i exercise means I eat more. Yesterday Ibuned over 600 caloriesd and ate about 1600 calories. Before i started exercising my goal was 1150- 1350.
  • rejie1
    rejie1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is way too little for me, I am starving with this amount, but am only 5ft. I feel that I am the only person in the whole world that can't do this. I weigh 167lbs and am suppose to eat this amount to lose weight. I feel like a total failure. Thats why I can't do this counting calories.

Know the feeling, but after exercising you can do it because it will ask you to make up that amount to stay at 1200. I am 5ft and 1/4 inch ( I make everyone add, lol) My calorie number is 1200. Been doing this since the beginning of may and started at 208 and now am holding at 198. Upped my exercising hopefully that will kick it off also.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and am supposed to eat 1200. But I have to eat more than that, so I exercise at least 400 calories worth every day to "earn" more food. The combined total of about 1600 has been working for me (and I'm OLD -- almost 49).
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1200. I find the best way to keep on top of my calorie count is to LOG LOG LOG everything I eat. It really helps me to be accountable for what I am consuming, and realized "how many calories" vs the "quantity" of food.

Try to find some low calorie snacks that you like, so that when you feel just plain hungry, you have on hand things that will help cut the hunger while not hijacking your calorie count. Some ideas:

Hard boiled egg
    Quaker caramel rice cake
    Orange
    Apple
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Lettuce (as much as you want!) with spritzer dressing

If you don't learn to count your calories, then how do you plan on getting control over your eating? If not calorie counting, then there are other types of plans that might work, such as pre-packaged food plans (Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc), or alternative ways of measuring your consumption (Weight Watchers, etc).

You CAN succeed if you want to .... now it is just a matter of finding which system works best for you. Good luck.
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0, and I was netting around 1200 calories a day, while eating back most of my exercise calories. I've been fighting with the same few lbs, and seem to remain hungry so I'm attempting to up my calories up to 1300-1400.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200. I HAVE to exercise at least 400 calories every day and eat them ALL back or it's just not enough eating!
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' and my HW was 167. Currently I'm 140. I feel hungry on 1200 also, so I try to do some kind of exercise every day that allows me to eat around 1500. Don't give up! Just move/exercise more so you can eat more. It will work. Please don't give up. Add me if you'd like. :smile:
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5". I get 1300/day. I exercise everyday so that gives me 200-400 more. I'm losing 2.5/week on average.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and MFP set me to 1200 as well. I did NOT eat back any of my exercise calories which in my opinion put me into starvation mode which then resulted in NO weight loss for a long time. I just couldn't wrap my head around to eat more calories when I exercised. For me, It was a big mistake.

I have since found my TDEE and did a 15% cut off of that and I aim to eat 1400 calories a day. On days I have BIG workouts I always net my bmr so I eat more like 1500-1600 calories.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was only allotted 1200 cals too, but I started at 110 lb., only trying to lose 5 lb. This seems too low for your current weight. Perhaps 1400 is more realistic. Maybe you can change your weight loss to 1 lb per week and get more cals that way. Plus, if you exercise it says you can eat more!
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    Options
    I am about 5'2 give or take a pinch ;) and i can go anywhere between 1200-1500 and not feel hungry. for me it all depends on if im in a snacking mood or not. I have found that if breakfast has a lot of veggies and protein i wont eat as much crap during the day
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and MFP put me at 1200. I tried that for a while, but was getting frustrated going over too many days and wanted to quit. Instead, I manually changed my calorie allowance to 1350 and felt much less restricted. (It's likely still fewer than what I was eating before MFP, and mentally I could handle it better.)
  • Ashly744
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and MFP put me at 1200. I tried that for a while, but was getting frustrated going over too many days and wanted to quit. Instead, I manually changed my calorie allowance to 1350 and felt much less restricted. (It's likely still fewer than what I was eating before MFP, and mentally I could handle it better.)

Does MFP let you manually change your allowance or do you just ignore MFP when it tells you that you went over 1200? I got the big ole red numbers yesterday because I decided to try eating 1400 instead of 1200.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Does MFP let you manually change your allowance or do you just ignore MFP when it tells you that you went over 1200? I got the big ole red numbers yesterday because I decided to try eating 1400 instead of 1200.
    You can change it. I think it's under the "goals" tab. I'm sure someone else knows exactly how, but it would take me a few minutes, and you can play around with it as well as (or better than!) I can.
  • Ashly744
    Options

You can change it. I think it's under the "goals" tab. I'm sure someone else knows exactly how, but it would take me a few minutes, and you can play around with it as well as (or better than!) I can.

I found it! Yeeaahh. Lol :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11 and 165 lbs - it gave me 1200 too. This was too low for me, and made me ill.

Helloitsdan ran my numbers for me, and I manually changed my goal to 1600.

That was 24lbs ago so I need to change them again now.

I'd go here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

put your current weight as your goal weight, so you get your current estiamted TDEE, and then cut 20%.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i am 5 feet tall. i am very sedentary.
    800-1400. i don't count cals though. just carbs.
  • ELBeliles
    ELBeliles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and MFP allotted me 1200 calories a day when I was trying to lose 2lbs/week for my wedding. I almost broke trying to keep up with the exercise I needed to make sure I didn't go over that. I had to exercise intensely every day or just not eat much. It was really hard for me to stick to and the pressure was unbearable. But now that that's over with, the 1390 I'm allowed seems like a good number. I exercise six days a week and it's working for me. Depends on what exercises you're doing and what times during the day you're eating.