Working vs SAHM?

Options
Do you think it would be easier to stay thin as a working mom or a stay at home mom? Before I got pregnant with my son, I worked in a doctor's office and lost about 15ls within two months of working there. Now that I am a SAHM, I have to workout a lot and try to eat right just to be at the same weight I was when I was working and eating anything.

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have done both and it doesn't make a difference. What you eat and how much activity you get does.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Probably have more to do with your age and metabolism. And the fact that our body changes due to the pregnancy. Just my guess.
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I thought that being at home would give me more time to devote to health and fitness, but it had the opposite effect on me. Staying at home, I gained about 15 pounds before I realized it. Then the second child came and more weight. I never got the "breastfeeding weight loss" or the "running after toddlers weight loss"....

But, yea the situation doesnt really matter as much as how you adjust to it.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids so I am speculating, but I think it would depend on your situation. However for me I would definately have an easier time training if I were a SAHM, but I think I'd find it harder to eat right if I was spending so much time at home. So it probably cancels itself out :)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am not a mother yet but I'm not currently employed.. I love having time to exercise and what not... but when I'm home all day by myself and I get bored I want to eat... so kicking that habit it sort of difficult. Maybe if I actually did house wife type things.. but who knows
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    I have been both a SAHM and a working mom. Gained weight in both situations. At home when I was bored I would wonder to the pantry all of the time. I now work at a desk job and at first struggled with the sitting there all day routine. I would get really snacky at work and wonder into the cafeteria for some chocolate.

It all comes down to how well you watch what you eat. You can count calories and eat healthy in both situations. I also think that working at a desk is no excuse not to lose weight. I try to take the stairs at work, park as far away as possible, take walks on my lunch, and workout when I get home even though I would rather sit around and be lazy.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The summer I was a Nanny I used to make lunch eat my lunch with the kids then when cleaning up eat their leftovers. I can't abide waste, but I figured out that I should make myself a half portion to start. Then eat the kids leftovers.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Working = skinnier
    Working = sane-ish
  • Estella25
    Estella25 Posts: 6
    Options
    Definitely more weight gain as SAHM.

But that is because hubby thinks I am 'on call' 24/7. I have a hard time leaving the house without the kids to work out (I do go for walks with them but I used to work out at the gym every day, and that is not happening anymore!).

At night after cleaning up the kitchen and doing other household chores I am too exhausted to exercise.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've done both I was a stay at home mum till my youngest went to full time school (I did evening classes to keep me sane) I don't think it really makes a difference. For instance with my first I lost my baby weight plus more within 4 or so months but with my second I really struggled. Being a SAHM I found I had more time to exercise (nap times or whilst they were in nursery) but now I have to do my workouts early in the morning before they get up. I think it's all down to organisation really x
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think SAHM is easier because you have more time to prepare healthy meals (I am mostly a SAHM, I only work out of home about 3 days a month and then work from home probably about 7-8 days.) On the days I am away from home, I end up eating worse, especially if I am with others. When I workout I do it in the evening so my husband can go with me (he has a day job) so that doesn't really make a difference.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have done both, i have been a stay at home mom now since jan and i find it so much harder. i found at work i moved more and then my meals were more planned out and we didn't have restaurants, etc nearby so you HAD to pre plan you meals and snacks and make sure you brought enough... at home i figured i would have so much more time to exercise as i could pick what ever time i needed/ wanted but it is not happening like that. It is also alot harder to get motivated to exercise...