Waking up at night hungry

Options
I started my weight loss journey about 5 weeks ago when husband went on a business trip. Lost 10lbs pretty quickly, now am waiting for more lbs to go away (and never come back :-)

Anyway, when I first started I didn't have this problem but in the past week, I had a few evenings when I was really hungry (after having eaten all my calories for the day - I am at 1220 calories/day not counting my exercise calories which I will eat back, at least partially) and there have now also been 3 nights that I woke up with a growling stomach.

I eat very healthy during the day - chicken/fish, peanut butter, veggies or salad, fruit, some carbs (whole wheat bread etc.), low-fat dairy products (yogurt..), good fats (avocado, olive oil). I drink a good amount, too, although not solely water (because at this point, it makes me gag but I am working on getting to "just plain water") - I drink extremely diluted grapefruit juice (essentially water with a bit of grapefruit juice), some black tea with lemon and a bit of sugar and occasionally a latte without sugar.

If I wake up, I try to ignore my stomach and go back to sleep. If that doesn't help, I get up. I have eaten: strawberries, carrots with peanut butter, bread, yogurt at night. And I drink some of my diluted water with grapefruit juice.

But seriously, what is the problem? Why do I wake up hungry, now after I was fine the first few weeks??

And any recommendations on what to do during the day to stop this, and also what to do at night when waking up?

Thanks!

Replies

• goddamnelectric
    Options
    Try cottage cheese. Casein protein helps muscles recover so it's good before bed. I usually have 1/2 cup after dinner.
  • Renee253
    Renee253 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have this problem too and it's frustrating because I do so good during the day and then wake up in the middle of the night starved and unable to control my cravings. I know this sounds cliche but everybody says to drin k more water and I finally started taking their advice. It seems to be helping somewhat but I have to get up alot a night to pee which can be irritating. I'm gonna try the cottage cheese thing and see if it helps.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a medium soft-boiled egg with a slice of Melba toast at about 9pm, and I don't get hungry at night anymore. It comes to about 150 calories. Hope this helps.