Breakfast nd carbs - :(

Options

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs on a corn tortilla (16 carbs), but that's mainly just to soak up the runny yolk :) There's also low-carb breads you might try.

You could always skip bready substances entirely and lick the plate.
  • melbatoastrox
    Options
    A friend just turned me on to Carb Krunchers, http://www.carbkrunchers.com/ - they make rolls, bagels & bread low carb. I've only had their everything bagel but at 6.2 net carbs I'm sold. And they're actually good too. They come frozen so you pop in the microwave for 20 seconds, slice and toast it.

I've found that I am taking in too many carbs too, but I can't totally do without them, so these are a great alternative.

Nutritional Info:

1 Bagel Approx. 3.8 Oz.
    Vitamin A - 0%
    Vitamin C - 0%
    Calcium 15%
    Iron 10%
    Amount per Serving: (one bagel)
    Calories 135
    Calories from Fat: 18
    Total Fat: 2
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Carbohydrates: 13.7 gr
    Dietary Fiber: 7.5 gr
    Sugar: 0 gr
    Sugar Alcohol: 0.5 gr
    Protein: 1 gr
    Sodium: 180 mg
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For yogurt, try light, fat free. As for breakfast ideas:
    Egg white omelet with light meat (tuna, turkey, etc) and mushroom
    Cottage Cheese with berries
    Eggs and Bacon, of course.
  • tanyaevans2010
    Options
    You could always skip bready substances entirely and lick the plate.
    [/quote]

Thats too funny!!! I like that idea. !

But Eggs are the super food of low carb eating.! and I too have difficulty not having toast with my eggs.
    I have decided to do 1/2 grapefruit for breakast and greek yogurt.. Its much better then the two pieces of toast I have gotten into the bad habit of having every morning.. :)
  • tanyaevans2010
    Options
    Whats an Elimination diet??
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Whats an Elimination diet??

Elimination diet
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    An elimination diet is a method of identifying foods that an individual cannot consume without adverse effects.[1] Adverse effects may be due to food allergy, food intolerance, other physiological mechanisms (such as metabolic or toxins),[2] or a combination of these. Elimination diets typically involve entirely removing a suspected food from the diet for a period of time from two weeks to two months, and waiting to determine whether symptoms resolve during that time period. In rare cases, a health professional may wish to use an oligoantigenic diet to relieve a patient of symptoms they are experiencing.[3]
    Common reasons for undertaking an elimination diet include suspected food allergies and suspected food intolerances. An elimination diet might remove one or more common foods, such as eggs or milk, or it might remove one or more minor or non-nutritive substances, such as artificial food colorings.
    An elimination diet relies on trial and error to identify specific allergies and intolerances. Typically, if symptoms resolve after the removal of a food from the diet, then the food is reintroduced to see whether the symptoms reappear. This challenge-dechallenge-rechallenge approach is particularly useful in cases with intermittent or vague symptoms.[4]
    The terms exclusion diet and elimination diet are often used interchangeably in the literature, and there is no standardised terminology. The exclusion diet can be a diagnostic tool or method used temporarily to determine whether a patient’s symptoms are food-related. The term elimination diet is also used to describe a "treatment diet", which eliminates certain foods for a patient.[2] [5][6]
    Adverse reactions to food can be due to several mechanisms. Correct identification of the type of reaction in an individual is important, as different approaches to management may be required.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love eggs on toast for breakfast - but have only one slice of wholemeal toast - rather than the one slice per egg which I used to enjoy :)

A toast free option is to make a bed of spinach leaves ( I microwave some for 30 seconds) and top with a poached egg. It is strangely satisfying- and takes a while to eat.

Yoghurt with chopped apple is good. Also with strawberries/raspberries etc. ( I buy frozen berries now as they are so expensive to buy fresh. Works well with yoghurt ). Natural fat free or low fat yoghurt. Try to avoid the fat free fruityoghurts - as they are full of other stuff - artificial sweeteners etc.

This morning i had porridge. I don't alwys like it, but I feel very full and satisfied even after twohours. But that isn't going to help you with your carb issue.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning was yummy and low carb smoked ham or bacon, spring onions and tomato made into a 2 whole egg omelette

Total: 2g Carbs 248 Cals
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    No, you shouldn't worry about it! I eat carbs almost everyday for 1 month now, and i've nearly lost 10 lbs! :) You need a little bit of everything ;)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelette with low fat shredded cheese, sautéed mushrooms and cheese ,with 1 slice of 35 cal bread, light margarine, and sugar free apricot jam is my go to breakfast.

For the whole breakfast including the bread it is 13 carbs. I am not limiting carbs, however I am eating more whole grain and high fiber foods.
  • perthpog
    perthpog Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For a Low carb breaky i make the following (makes 12 portions);

• brown 1 x red finely diced onion with 6 x short cut diced pieces of Bacon (trim all fat)
    • Grate 1 x zucchini (squeeze off excess liquid)
    • After bacon / onion mixture has almost browned, add in the grated zucchini and brown together for about 4 mins
    • Once zucchini has softened in bacon / onion mixture take off heat.
    • I then spoon a tablespoon or so (approx. 1/3 of the case) of this mixture in to the bottom of 12 silicon cupcake cases (no oil required)
    • I then lightly whisk 10 eggs with some pepper and top up the cupcake tins with the eggs.
    • when filled, put in a moderate oven (approx. 160 - 180c) till cooked.
    • once cooked leave to cool.

These are great to reheat in the mornings or to have as a snack during the day.. when I’m desperate I sometime will have a couple with some salad for dinner they can also be frozen.

These have approx. 105 calories, 3 carbs & 9gms of protein each.
  • Gaz3376
    Gaz3376 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and Post workout is the time where some carbs are just fine.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    sandwich thins and southwestern egg beaters with a slice of fat free american cheese!! fast and yummy
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs

Phwoar.
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh, re: The Elimination Diet

I've just done a review of the supplements I take (to make sure I need to be taking them) and some of them in excess can mess up your thyroid and result in weight gain (iodine intake). It's an interesting exercise to do if you take supplements. I've been quite shocked by the research I've done on a few brands.
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

Autho I must admit I didnt think that bacon and sausages were ok to eat!

Right after course tonite i'll plan and go shopping!

I also enjoy the idea of yoghurt with something sprinkled on the top.....could anyone
    please tell me how to judge a good yoghurt! because I spent 30min last week looking @ them all in the supermarket and was
    going to myself ahhhhh?! And walked away with nothing!

for yogurt I have nestle soleil (its in yellow containers) and normally have fruit on top (eg frozen raspberries and a kiwifruit or apple)
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite balanced breakfasts is blueberries with museli with yoghurt. Pretty low calorie and carb (the museli all you need is like 30g it's not that high carb) The yoghurt makes it really tasty and with the sweetness of blueberries it's just amazing, feels quite solid when you eat it because the museli absorbs some of the yoghurt, definitely one of my favourites..it's that nice that I alternate between bacon and eggs on toast and this, that's saying something. I chuck a load of my protein powder into it as well now just to make it protein friendly :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs in just two slices of toast!!!! Crikey, I eat carbs with every meal. Porridge oats for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and then a good portion of pasta, rice or spuds (or maybe more bread for dinner)!

Omelette's were the best suggestion for keeping you carb free and satiated. Might get a bit boring after a while though. Good luck! xx
  • beachbabe9
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are great because you can prep ahead of time and grab them in the morning. I think it's advisable to have some kind of slice of bread or cracker in the morning, even if it's carbs. First thing in the morning it's actually good.

Hard boiled egg, banana, and a travel size cottage cheese + 1 slice bread or cracker is a great breakfast.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    At the moment for breakfast i'm having a handful of nuts (I go for something really fibrous like walnuts) and a piece of fruit.