1200 calories per day

Options
1200 calories
I dont understand - if i eat less than this then it tells me not to do it (as my body will go into starvation) but it seems that you need to be within 10-20 calories of your goal to succeed?
I want to lose 5kg - what do I do?

Replies

• swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group. It's a great group. 1200 is way too low for most people.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question..... yes 1200 is the lowest calorie amount a health adult should eat. I don't think 20 cals under will kill you though....what am I missing?
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group. It's a great group. 1200 is way too low for most people.

This
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    I get this warning a lot too. Its to make sure you don't eat an unreasonable low amount of calories for a prolonged period of time because it may not give your body all the nutrients and energy it needs to keep everything functioning.

Try to eat 1200 of good foods. If you end up less at the end of the day and you don't feel hungry, don't eat just to reach the calories. For example, yesterday I reached 880 calories in the evening. When I came back from my workout in the evening I just didn't feel like anything at all. Earlier that day I had muesli and pasta and spinach and fruits. That's a good clean diet so no need to add more. But it doesn't mean I consistently eat at that level.

So basically ignore the message but don't lower your target to 1000 or below, because they have a point with their warning.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    My *breakfast* was 1620 cals......I don't know how you do it.....
  • sunshinebee
    Options

Woah. What does that involve?
  • heavenlacey
    Options
    Hi, I am the same, thats what i have got per day, I going to go the whole hog tomorrow and see what happens !!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options

8oz wheat penne rigate
    8oz chicken
    8 mayonaise packets
    Crushed red pepper flakes
    Basil
    Oregano
    Parsley flakes

I don't eat breakfast lunch dinner, I eat whatever I fancy the time I fancy it :)
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you're a small sedentary female, 1200 or thereabouts is okay. At that amount it will take me til october to lose 12lbs because my maintanence calories for my weight are only 1613 so i cant easily do the 500 cal deficit.

However for a lot of people this is going to be too low, find out what your maintenance cals are and subtract 500 to lose 1lb a week. You should only aim for 2lb a week if you can have a 1000 deficit and still be eating a healthy amount, which for a lot of people will be a minimum of 1200, hence why it has the warning if you go below that. There's no magic number for everybody but it's a generally recommended amount.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

8oz wheat penne rigate
    8oz chicken
    8 mayonaise packets
    Basil
    Oregano
    Parsley flakes

I don't eat breakfast lunch dinner, I eat whatever I fancy the time I fancy it :)

I think I love you. That or insanely jealous.
  • rossanapfcl
    rossanapfcl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd be sick. But what works, works. i had porridge, strawberries and a coffee. Thats just fine for me!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

This

this x 2
  • Stuartw31
    Stuartw31 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can make it up with exercise - so eat 1500 calories, burn 300 calories exercising = 1200 daily calories with no warning message
  • rossanapfcl
    rossanapfcl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose 3kg in about 5-6 weeks. 2lbs a weeks.

Im eating 1200 pretty spot on every day and really healthily on the whole. The weight loss feels slow and i dont know what my maintenance amount is - how do i find that out?
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options

This

I concur! I eat 1800+ calories most days and still lose weight.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options

This

Yes!!

I hope you are also NOT working out and eating only 1200 calories...
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options

8oz wheat penne rigate
    8oz chicken
    8 mayonaise packets
    Basil
    Oregano
    Parsley flakes

I think I love you. That or insanely jealous.

yeah im the same! think its more jealous though!lol! eat whatever whenever, love it!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I normally end up eating around 1700 cals a day and lose weight but I do exercise, so my net is still around 1200
  • hwillia1
    hwillia1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

This

I concur! I eat 1800+ calories most days and still lose weight.

Is that your net calories? I'm just increasing my calorie intake now as I have stopped losing weight.
  • kjones_87
    kjones_87 Posts: 2
    Options
    On a day with no exercise eating 1200 calories you shouldn't but your body into starvation mode, however if your only eating 1200 calories and then burning additional calories from exercise then you need to up your calories in. Or you do risk starving your body. Everybody is different though too and I agree with the others, some people have crazy high metabolic rates and will need more calories each day.