Under-eating - do you comment or not?

Options

Replies

• Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I eat very low calories but it isnt because I do it on purpose or am trying to starve myself. I am just not that hungry. I have tried for the last week to eat more but gave up when I made myself sick with stomach pains. Plain and simple you should not eat if you are not hungry. Also it isnt technically considered starvation mode unless you are eating less than 50% of your daily requirement. On average I eat 1000-1100. So that is not bad at all.

People are always saying that you will lose muscle but that is only true if you are thinner. You will lose fat and not muscle if you are obese, according to studies. It is also known that it is difficult for a body to go into starvation mode unless your body is close to 5% body fat for men and 10% body fat for women. I dont buy into the whole starvation mode BS. Here are some good sights that explain that it is nothing more than a myth.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
    http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @bazaar82 and @mkambalimath Your cases of course are perfectly understandable. I realise anybody commenting on your food intake would be annoying for you for that reason and they certainly shouldn't do so if they knew your condition. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess there's defo a need to be at least weary about commenting.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I wait and see if its a habit, if it is I make a small comment that I've noticed and hope everything is okay, some comment back some don't some delete me. Either way it straightens itself out, I don't want habitually low calorie eaters as friends, I'm here making a life change and I along with anyone else I know isn't going to be able to maintain a lifestyle of under 1200 calories.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    No I don't. They can read like we can and find the information. If they ask for advice or opinion then that's different.

Same here.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No one has the job of food police. I wouldn't run around with the intent of being the diary monitor. But If I was doing seriously something that would hurt me in the long run, I would hope that someone would bring it to my attention. So If I happen to notice a bad trend going on with someone I see regularly, I will find find a way to slide a comment in. Maybe say things along the line of: "I'd be falling down from exhaustion if I exercised that much on so very little food. Fuel in, energy out and all that jive. Geez, aren't you starving?" Then it is likely okay to ask if they know what their BMR and TDEE is with out offending them.

There is also the 'blunt' approach, which is a lot more fun for you, but less appreciated and excepted by the others and may get you deleted! :bigsmile:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I see a few people that are eating ~1200 calories and they don't have much to lose. I don't support it but I'm not their mother either. They can read the information that's out there regarding eating and building muscle. If it really becomes a bother to me, I just delete them. Plain and simple.
  • foreveryounique
    foreveryounique Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some of us...especially us noobs don't really know any better. I just started last Wednesday and I was by both MFP and a nutritionist that I should stick to 1200. I admit, I have gone under, not massively under, but it wasn't like I told myself, hey, let's under eat today.
  • longtemps
    longtemps Posts: 2
    Options
    glad someone saw and spoke up, thanks
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I will tell them a few times what they are doing is wrong and if they don't take the advice I defriend them.

You are who you hang out with and I don't want to hang with unhealthy people.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @bazaar82 and @mkambalimath Your cases of course are perfectly understandable. I realise anybody commenting on your food intake would be annoying for you for that reason and they certainly shouldn't do so if they knew your condition. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess there's defo a need to be at least weary about commenting.

I think that's all we are saying- u don't know people's situations, so perhaps a simple 'is there a reason your low on cals' would suffice? I have no issues with people asking, it's more the ones that challenge you straight up (luckily none of my friends do). There the same issue on the boards - people instantly shout starvation mode, emwl etc - and don't know the background, there's evidence of it on this thread. I can't imagine it's all that helpful to be told your wrong if you do have a disorder - in fact it's probably worse.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    No, not unless they ask for advice. It's not my job to police their eating. It's their body.

I do think it's funny that people get yelled at for not eating enough, but when someone is over their calories significantly for days on end people just say " great job, you needed a treat week!" ._.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No, not unless they ask for advice. It's not my job to police their eating. It's their body.

I do think it's funny that people get yelled at for not eating enough, but when someone is over their calories significantly for days on end people just say " great job, you needed a treat week!" ._.

I've seen plenty of people criticised for going over their goals, or not eating "clean" enough.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I will tell them a few times what they are doing is wrong and if they don't take the advice I defriend them.

You are who you hang out with and I don't want to hang with unhealthy people.

No, you are who you are. Not who you are around.
  • ToriKern
    ToriKern Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! You have to fuel the body!!!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    hey if people want to screw their bodies up by eating grossly under what they should be who am I to judge or say anything? I'm worried about ME....that's all!

Inspiring.

--Prahasaurus
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are all correct ; however , some people have different journey . After my bariatrkc surgery ( LapBand), I am supposed to eat between 700 and 900 Cal. I am under my surgeon and nutritionist supervision . I eat balanced meals, all necessary vitamins and supplements. Just a week ago, my nutritionist suppested to up my Cal intake to 1000 ( I am 1 lb away from my goal). I feel great, energized, I exercise daily . But again , remember that I am different than majority people on this site. I am just trying to explain than donor rush to judge .
    Thank you and good luck on your journey !
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    I think it's up to them what they do. I don't comment because we don't know the reasoning behind it. Sometimes I don't meet my 1,200 because I am too busy to log everything and estimate the cals using quick tools. I also find that days when I exercise a lot I don't eat them all back as I am not hungry. Other times I might not be feeling that great. I don't think it is fair to comment unless you know why.

Having said that I deleted someone off here once who was constantly eating about 600 calories a day (without exercise - with it was about 300) I just couldn't watch them destroy themselves.
  • gusgrace06
    gusgrace06 Posts: 27
    Options
    If I see that people are eating less than 1000 calories in a day I do comment, some of them like myself might have been busy and didn't eat. Some might not have realized how horrible it is for them to do that. I average between 1300 and 1500, but I'm also a big girl. I don't delete them who knows they might need help.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I really don't like to comment unless someone specifically asks my advice. The main reason I am here is to get myself healthy and if I can help and encourage others along the way so much the better. That being said, I don't want to be distracted from what I'm doing by worrying about what someone else is not doing so I prefer my circle of friends to be similar to myself in terms of our goals and how we go about attaining them.