Help, please check my diary

Options
Hi all,

I started this weight loss journey in April 2012 and rather than go on a diet, I simply changed the way I eat. I gave up smoking in March. I limited the junk food and swapped for fruit / low calories snack. I started by doing JM 30DS Dvds and started jogging/walking for over 3 miles since May.

So far I lost 6 lbs, 1 inch on waist and 1 inch on hip, but these losses are recorded in early May so I have not lose anything for over a month.

I do not drink as I am allergic to alcohol (seriously!) so no empty calories for me. I am mearsuring most of my food (i.e. rice and meat) and reduced the portion size, I have not reduce any steamed/boiled vegetable as the calories are really low and I need something to fill me up. My daily goal is 1700 cal and try not to eat back all working out calories.

Can someone please let me know I am on the right track?

Replies

• sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Bump
  • Molzz95
    Molzz95 Posts: 11
    Options
    This worked for me: But changing your diet round a bit? I've heard that after you've lost weight for a few months it gets harder for your body to lose more? I went and ate under 1000 calories a day and lost about 3lbs but then on my birthday week i was going out for dinner and eating around 1500-2000 calories a day and ended up losing another 3lbs. Obviously you can't do it as all the time as you would just yoyo diet and obviously that drastic amount wouldn't help. But try a day every 2 weeks or 1 weekend a month where you give yourself a little treat.

Also exercise helps a lot? It's so easy to burn calories just by walking! I went London for the day and was walking for about 5 hours at a 2.5 pace I burned about 500 cal!
  • RavenSimone90
    Options
    I agree, swich up your calories each day and don't eat less than 1200 calories. Also try different exercises. By the way your cats are soooo cute
  • wendydav3
    wendydav3 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi, I don't know what your sugar intake is like but if you are taking in more than what your body needs the sugar turns to fat. It could be that you are taking in too much. You can check it on the Daily food log by changing your food settings to record sugar at the bottom where you have your calories and fat. Also be sure you change up your exercise. After so long your body gets use to doing one particular exercise and builds muscle. You stop losing so much weight during this time. If you change it up, you keep your body guess and keep losing weight.
  • sodaisy
    Options
    Thanks Raven, my cats are my world! :-)

I stopped tracking sugar because by having semi skimmed milk, 1 kiwi, 1 orange and 1 nectrine a day will push my sugar level way over! As for the exercise, I am doing the DVD in bad weather and jogging/walking in sunny days.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Ok, so I did check out your diary(s). A few suggestions to give a try...

1.) START WEIGHT TRAINING (and I totally mean this!) Also, focus on eating more proteins and less carbs, especially on those days - when you do cardio, though, you definitely still need carbs!
    2.) Start HIIT training - it's fairly simple, and it works WONDERS.
    3.)Don't log your cleaning calories, unless you are literally breaking a sweat. I was logging cleaning for the longest time, and just recently stopped. You don't need to eat back those calories... they're in your daily activities, at least in my opinion!
    4.) DRINK MORE WATER! You should be aiming for OVER 8 glasses a day. A lot of the weight you have may be water weight. Not drinking enough water can also slow your metabolism, believe it or not! Plus, your body holds on to water when it feels it isn't getting enough.

I hope some of this helps!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whats your height and weight? We can look into your calories.
  • sodaisy
    Options
    I'm, 32, 5'3 and weight 149 lbs. My TDEE is around 2200 and my BMR is around 1450.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would say that instead of running 3 miles, start doing sprints. In a nearby park, set two markers (a jumper and your water bottle for example), sprint the distance. Jog back. Do 10 pushups. Sprint the distance. Jog back. Do 15 situps/crunches. Sprint the distance. Jog back. Do 10 burpees (or other exercise). Keep this up for 20minutes. Go for a light jog then do it again.

Also, as someone else said, start weight training. I take it you're in the UK? Look on gumtree for cheap gym memberships. I found a Black Label Fitness First membership for 50pounds a month (twice actually).

I'd try and reduce the ham and cheese and maybe limit your fruit intake to only 2 pieces a day. Have a ryevita with cottage cheese instead perhaps. Also, whenever you have fruit, have a few nuts to keep your blood sugar stable (only a few though - maybe 6 because they are hiiiiigh in calories)
    Try and keep the rice intake down. This includes rice crispies - they're not the most nutritious cereal. Oats are good or try All Bran. A poached egg and piece of wholemeal or multrigrain bread is also GREAT!

Perhaps limit the naughty foods to a couple days a week.

Maybe reduce the amount of calories to 1500.

Have you got a heart rate monitor? Are you sure you are burning that many calories? I found the exercise calories defaulted in MFP were too high - I use a HRM and although it's not 100% correct, it's much more correct than MFP.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 137ish pounds (62kgs) and I have my calories set at 1200 (lightly active). (Having said that I am ALWAYS over calories no matter how healthy I eat and then I binge or get depressed.) I'm starting to think that maintaining healthy living is a lot more attainable than calorie counting and being under a certain number.)
  • sueb12345678
    sueb12345678 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    save for reading later
  • GraceEMyers
    GraceEMyers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly well done for starting on your weight loss journey, it is easy to become fixated on numbers but you have made a lifestyle change and you need to remeber this going forward.

Looking at your diary it seems that although you are keeping your calories at around 1700 you are still eating quite alot of food, it might be benificial for you to cut down on the amount of snacks and consider using those calories in more substancial meals to keep you fuller for longer.

Also it may be worth you weighing out and calculating your calories abit more, there are alot of things i noticed in your diary that if you were to not weigh them out correct could easily add a couple hundred calories onto your daily amount and then hinder your performance. I am quite lazy so do not like to measure things out all the time so to compensate for this my daily goal is set at 1200 calories with the expectation that I will not measure things out correctly and this accounts for that fact. You still have to be careful not to go overboard though and it may be worth just investing in measureing cups and a good kitchen scales.

The last thing i think may help you is to make sure you do not eat back your excersise calories, I think if you are going to excersise then you should reap the benifits of it and not just do it so you can have addidtional things to eat in the day.

Hope this helps!!

:)
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Look at your full report. Your sugar is usually high and your fiber, low. You're doing a good job getting your protein. Try to keep carbs closer to 100 and you will lose. I follow the paleo diet which means I cut out most breads, cereals, bagels etc and that made a big difference for me. I can have steel cut oats or quick oats for breakfast instead. Bananas have a lot of carbs- eat once in awhile. Add more berries instead. Good luck!
  • mdc617
    mdc617 Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats on the many things you have accomplished!!! You have taken huge steps in your journey! You seem to be doing everything correctly.

I think when we make changes in lifestyle, even when they are for the good, our bodies respond in odd ways. Your body is just now starting to adjust to a healthy lifestyle. In the beginning, your body lost, now your body is saying "what in the world is going on here" - maybe I should keep what I have. Hang in there, this struggle is just a part of your journey.

I hope you find these words encouraging - that is the way they are intended!! Hang in there!!!

Just remember, we didn't get this way overnight so we won't change overnight.

:happy:
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    try zig zagging your calories over a seven day period it will stop your metabolism from stalling and eat some of your exercise calories back don't let your net calories fall below 1200 except on a couple of days if they are followed by high calorie days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2200, then you should be eating at 1800 calories (20% below TDEE). Doing this should give you enough cushion to enjoy food without exceeding calories. Another option to look into, if you tend to eat a lot more at night, is look to do interim fasting. It's designed where you eat all your calories in a small window (4,6 or 8 hours). So you can fast from 7pm to 11am, and then eat all your calories from 11am to 7pm. Or a 20 fast, you wouldn't start eating until 3pm. With IF, you still have to eat 1800 calories, just in a smaller window. It's hard from some (like myself) but for many people it works well.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions:

1. Strength training! I've struggled with my weight all my life. I am now doing TRX straps for my workout. It has done more for me in 3 months than anything else I've ever tried. And it keeps your metabolism revved up for hours afterword.

2. Lots of real, fresh food; tons of fruit, veggies, lean meats, and water! I am following a specific plan that emphasizes 35% protein, 40% carbs, and 25% fat every day. When I don't stay to close to those percentages, I don't lose as much. The protein helps keep you full, and keeps your metabolism going.

3. Calorie cycling: Do a couple of days of lower (depending on your Height, etc.) calories, then one day of a few hundred higher. This keeps your metabolism revved up and you're not stuck in one calorie range every day.

I don't know if this works for everyone, but I have lost 15 pounds in just under 3 months. That is not extremely fast, but at 59 years old, and 4'10", it is the best I have done in years!

Hope this helps.