Should a morbidly obese person eat back exercise calories?

Options
Any feedback is appreciated.

I've been following the MFP diet plan and exercising for over 13 weeks, now. Eating back my exercise calories has worked just fine for me, up until a month ago. In the past 3.5 weeks, I've only lost 1.2 pounds. However, I added strength training to my exercise routine right around the same time my weight loss has slowed.

Your thoughts? I really want to get back to losing 2 pounds a week.

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do and sometimes don't. It really depends on if I am hungry or not.
  • shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer for you, just a thought or two, Perhaps you are building muscle? That may play in there somehow. The eatting back the calories always throws me for a loop. To be honest, for myself I'd rather not eat them back.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Your only going to get more confused now. Some think you should some say no. Here's my opinion...If your calorie intake is on the higher side I'd say no don't do it. But if it's on the lower side like me then I'd say yes.

I will say if you've stalled out then you need to change it up some. Change what you eat, when you eat and even your exercise. Raise your calorie intake or lower it whichever YOU want. And I stress you because of others saying your going into starvation mode so you must eat more( silly people).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You "might" have gained a litle muscle but what's more likely the cause is water retention. When you change your activity in any way (more time, more intensity, more weight, etc), this causes damage to your muscle tissues which is usually felt in the form of muscle fatigue and soreness. While this is happening, those muscle tissues are retaiing water as part of the healing process and therefore you weight loss may stall or slow until your body gets used to it.

There's no way to say for sure how long it'll take for the body to adjust but it's usually the same as any other changes - could take a week or two, could take a month or two. Be happy that you're still losing and that you're getting fit and stop worrying so much about hitting that absolute goal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you just started strength training you could be building some muscle, depending on how little you had to start with. But you will almost definitely be storing water in your muscles as they repair. Water = weight, so that is why your loss has slowed. But probably your fat loss has not slowed, and may have increased. Give your muscles time to adjust and you'll probably start losing at the desired rate again.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    However, I added strength training to my exercise routine right around the same time my weight loss has slowed.

Your thoughts? I really want to get back to losing 2 pounds a week.

I would think you are adding more muscle and muscle weighs more. How do you feel is the big question. If you are hungry I would think your body is saying it needs a little extra otherwise if your not hungry don't eat.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like a broken record, but I don't see it mentioned yet on here. Are you doing measurements? Cause I agree, with the added weight training, there's probably water retention. So I'd bet you're still losing fat, just holding in some water. Measurements will usually show what the scale will not.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I don't eat them all back. Usually I will eat back maybe a quarter of my exercise calories. I lose pretty steady at about 2 to 3 lbs a week.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm also a stickler for thinking, if you're hungry, eat, if not, then don't. I think it's also according to how much you're burning during a workout. I always make sure I net at least 1200, no I don't really believe entirely in the starvation mode thing, it's just a good number for me lol On hungrier days I net more around my BMR.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat my exercise calories back and sometimes I don't. It really depends on how I feel and how much my body needs the fuel. With that being said if I do eat my exercise calories back I try to make it a healthy protein. As others said your muscles may be just retaining water from the change in your routine. Finally, if you are really worried is there someone at the gym you can speak to? Or did you tape yourself prior to starting the weight training. Sometimes when working out hard the tape measurements are the best to go by - you may not be losing weight but you are probably losing inches and at some point that will show back up on the scale. Good luck and whatever you do don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you've stalled, you may be overestimating your calories burned. Thats ok, its something we all do. I would eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all. And see if that gets you back to losing 2 lb/week.

I am currently in a stall myself, with about 5 to 7 lbs left to go. I know I need to incorporate more weight training in my routine. Im just having a hard time doing it. I'd rather be outside on my road bike instread of in the gym.

If my weight loss is on hold until fall, I could live with that.
    Maybe then, I'll feel like weight lifting more. Who knows?
  • BDS33
    BDS33 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm also a stickler for thinking, if you're hungry, eat, if not, then don't.

I totally agree with both of your posts....
    From previous weight loss journeys, I have found that many times I had lost inches when I wasn't losing pounds - and, If you're not tracking your measurements, it can be discouraging...
    I have just started with MFP & find that there are times at the end of the day when I have calories left & am not hungry - so I don't use those calories (often extra calories that I got from exercising). I am trying to "retrain" my thinking & not eat when I am not hungry.
  • pointypaintbrush
    pointypaintbrush Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you are probably gaining muscle and retaining water. You are also going to be hungry...those muscles need fuel!! I would eat back the excercise calories, but watch what they are. Go for high protein stuff, low sodium, dark green veggies. You will feel better, fuel better, and probably kick your plateau.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat them back but usually not on that day. I normally have one day a week where I have heavy calorie consumption and that is when I eat them. I think we get used to how easily we can lose weight being obese and then as we get smaller it isn't as easy, which is discouraging.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I stalled for about 3 weeks after starting boot camp classes. I finally lost again this week. I agree with the muscles retaining water after starting a strength program. As for me, I don't eat them back but I eat maybe 100-200 more on exercise days.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I agree with -

It's water

Wait it out

And eat 'em if you need em
  • sunny_yogi
    sunny_yogi Posts: 19
    Options
    only if you feel famished.
  • Julesdarling27
    Julesdarling27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friends and I were talking about this today. What I do is go by the calories I'm supposed to burn each day. Say I'm supposed to burn 700 calories everyday and I burn 1000 at the gym. According to this program I'm allowed to eat those 1000 calories back but I just eat what extra I burned, in this case it would be 300. I have a long way to go as well, good luck!
  • Chetanpayne
    Options
    I totally agree with the woman who mentioned measurements. I just took mine the other day as scale weight can and IS so subjective! I think measurements are a bit more accurate.
    I did not know about your muscles holding on to water when we exercise. It makes sense however. I have recently also ramped up my work out regime. I just started with MFP about 2 weeks ago, but started a lifestyle change about 5 weeks ago.
    Good job to you and keep up the good work!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you have put all your info into MFP accurately, and you are confident that your calories consumed and calories burned are being logged accurately, then yes.