Need Motivation :/

Options
jessmeowww
jessmeowww Posts: 17 Member
Within the past year I've gained about 20 lbs. Having to do with working nights at the Hospital and never fully adjusted. Last month I switched back to days because I couldn't handle it anymore. I'm trying so hard to get back on track but I find myself lifeless. I'm 22y/o currently at 150lbs size 12. I can't seem to find a menu for myself that keeps me energized and not hungry throughout the day. Encouragement welcomed :)

Replies

• squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hiya, what's your ideal weight? How many calories does MFP say you need to eat a day to lose a pound a week.? It's crap when you can't find the right menu. I find evening times my worse point of the day, I can be good all day but I struggle in the evening.
    For me, I find it hard to keep to a certain amount of calories so I use exercise as a way of filling myself up. If I exercise, I can eat more!
    X
  • jessmeowww
    Options
    My ideal weight is 125. I'm okay being heavier, if I turn it to muscle though. I can't seem to get this flab off my stomach. After lunch is my hardest point. I feel like I just want to snack the rest of the day. I hate it. I started jogging again after my recent gallbladder surgery and have kept up on swimming laps in my pool every other day until i figure a good schedule to get to the gym. I want to be able to exercise and not have to eat more! lol
  • lexingtonjane
    lexingtonjane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm a Sergeant in the Army and I too need to have a lot of energy at work because I'm constantly on my feet. I start early with some V8 fusion juice and a few handfuls of honey nut cheerios. The sugar and whole grains help a lot during the morning. Once work starts I fit in a yogurt and then PACK A LUNCH! I know this sounds like a duh thing but eating out kills a healthy diet so I just don't do it any more. Most days I eat a reduced fat peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread with some honey in it, a banana or 100% fruit juice cup, and a can of diet arizona green tea (0 cal!). Of course this doesn't curb my hunger till dinner so I also pack a nature valley oat and honey bar for an afternoon snack. Dinner is something low carb or if it has a lot of carbs I just watch the portion. Most of the stuff I've mentioned is pretty tasty and will keep you satisfied throughout the day. Feel free to message me with ideas or questions. I've lost around 70 lbs, most before I joined fitnesspal so I've tried it all.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • jessmeowww
    Options
    lexingtonjane, just sent you a request. how many calories do you eat during the day? MFP has only allowed me 1200, and for some reason i just can't keep up with it. I always end up with something a bit higher. ive gotten down to 1300 comfortably, with alot of walking during the day, swimming and running during the week. i love cardio.
  • squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MFP set me at 1250 to lose a lb a week but I only had 7 pounds left to lose. 1200 is hard I think. I had to set mine at half lb a week in the end because it was just too difficult for me and I started to binge. That gave me 1530 calories a day, much better for me. What do you eat for breakfast?
    X
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Maybe right now if you're having a tough time with motivation, your focus can be on maintaining your weight right now without making any huge changes yet? 20lbs is not the worst weight gain but it's good to catch yourself now before it goes any further. It's obviously preferable to lose 20lbs rather than 40.

Counting calories helps tremendously to see what kind of dietary changes you should be making. If you work at a hospital, I would buy some healthy snacks and pre-cook some of your meals to take with you during long shifts (when I was losing weight I'd make a big pot of soup and have it every day for lunch for a week... Economical and delicious). You are probably already on your feet a lot, but I bet there are some moderate exercises you can incorporate into your breaks.

"I'm okay being heavier, if I turn it to muscle though."
    The thing is, you can't turn fat into muscle. Fat can't become muscle. If you're ok with being heavier but you want that extra mass to be muscle, you will still have to lose fat.

1200 calories is too low for most people unless they are extremely small and sedentary. If you're looking to start a strength training program to gain muscle, you're not going to want to be losing 2lbs a week on a huge calorie deficit. I would set your goal to 1 or 1/2lb a week, and make sure you get adequate protein (MORE than MFP suggests on its own) when you are building muscle.
  • jessmeowww
    Options
    I've started bringing bringing foods with me to work. which saves me money too. ive been trying to sit down and make a menu for the week so i can just plan everything ahead and know my calories ahead. i have my goal set at 1lb a week, and i've been doing more protein the MFP suggests, because its how i get my energy
  • lexingtonjane
    Options
    I have it set to 1200 so I can lose the last 15 lbs more quickly. Chances are there is something that you can cut out. I hate to say it but the easiest way has been for me to eat the same things a lot; especially for breakfast and lunch. Dinner then I could see what my calorie count is up till then and adjust for what I have left. For instance, last night I wanted pizza but I only had like 350 cal left so I had soup instead that kept me within (or darn close to) the calorie limit.
  • Tridave
    Tridave Posts: 2
    Options
    JessiCat_719, Does MFP have you 1200 with your exercise calories? Don't forget to include those, you don't need to take it off overnight, you didn't put it on that way and it only seems slow because you're paying attention now. Don't be in a rush just stick with it. Remember that you're hopefully starting habits that you keep for life not just to hit a number and be done.
  • lexingtonjane
    Options
    JessiCat, thats good but don't make it so complicated that your reinventing the wheel. If being balanced is important to you then thats great. As long as your meeting your food requirements, consider how your exercise needs may need to change. You can kind of tell when your body is on the right track. I set goals with weight but really didn't like using the scale. fitting into clothes I wanted to wear was more important to me.
  • jessmeowww
    Options
    I don't like to weigh myself. So, I'm just trying to eat better and exercise more. I would be happier fitting into my clothes the right weigh then looking at a scale and living by the number. I'm trying to get back on track and make it a habit. We have an Xbox kinect, and when its not a time for me to get to the gym, I get on there and do about 30 minutes of a dancing game (its like the wii without the controllers, lots of movement). I break a good sweat and feel pretty good when I'm finished. This is big for me, as I was doing nothing. I got way too lazy. I want to be back on a healthy lifestyle before its too late and it would take me ten times longer to be where I'd like. Thank you so much for your good words and help. :)

What are good menu plans? I'm trying to make a grocery list and make a weeklong menu.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!