MFP vs. Weight Watchers

Options
Hello all. I am wondering if any of you found that for some reason you did not do well with Weight Watcher's system and that the rather old-fashioned I suppose concept of calorie counting like myfitnesspal is working better for you.

I just cannot put my finger on it and why WW seems harder to stay on.

Thanks!:heart:

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed Weight Watchers. I was doing the points, but the meetings aren't always at the best time for me. I also had to leave when I found out I was pregnant, they wouldn't allow me to stay on the program during my pregnancy, even though my doctor wanted me to stay on the program. I think sometimes people don't pick up on all the nutrition they try to teach, it also depends on your leader. If you connect with them, and if they actually TEACH you stuff, or not. I've had some great leaders, and not so great ones. it's nice to have someone that inspires and teaches. One of my really good friends lost over 200 pounds on WW. She's one of my best inspirations.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am now a WW lifetime member because I am at goal and I sustain that goal by doing MFP! This to me is soooooo much better! I weigh in once a month at WW to keep my membership but that is pretty much it, I log all my food & exercise on here!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I also did Weight Watchers several years ago but personally find it easier to track calories rather than having to figure out the points on everything. I think any program where you watch your portions and do some exercise works if you stick to it. Like anything else, it's about finding what works best for you.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have been Soooo much more successful on this program than WW I did the online WW and I just couldn't seem to complete it. I think the message boards are more accessible here--I never took part on the WW ones. Also I had a aha moment noticing how little calories are in vegies. I very rarely ate zero point foods--and here I find tracking everything especially vegies makes a difference.
  • tallutta
    tallutta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, wow that was fast! It is so helpful to find out how others are doing and why things are working as it helps everyone.

One of you mentioned that if you stick to anything long enough that it will work. Consistency is the key. On WW they allow the 35 extra points per week which I found I was saving up and splurging on my Saturday, then had a hard time getting back down to the usual point level. I did the online thing with WW, was not overly impressed with it.

Perhaps this is what it is ... 1200 calories a day every day. I find I am planning my meals ahead of time and this sets my mind to exactly what I need to eat for the day. Organization, what a concept!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in high school and joined weight watchers (a long time ago), I never felt accepted by the women at the meetings. They never spoke to me, and they looked at me like I was an alien when I stood up to share something. They seemed to have already formed a pretty tight clique, and probably weren't taking me, as a teenager, seriously, but that experience pretty much ruined WW for me.

MFP is literally THE best community of people I have ever been involved in- online or not. That's why everyone becomes so addicted, and when you're addicted to MFP, it's pretty hard to forget that your goal is to lose weight and get healthy. :smile:
  • tallutta
    tallutta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes Brenda Lee I can dig what you are saying about the WW meetings.

Nice to hear your positive comments on MFP and congrats on the 39lbs. ... that is amazing for anyone!

After all the lbs. lost what would you say is your best advice to someone like me who has a very hard time of sticking with any program?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't consider MFP old-fashioned. I like it because I can track and concentrate on what I want to. WW treats all calories equally. A point is a point and you get so many points. To me, that's old-fashioned. I want to favor protein over carbs and fats and MFP allows me to do that a lot easier than WW does.
  • tigermom79
    Options
    BrendaLee.....I know what you mean about acceptance at the meetings! I felt the same way. While I am a lifttime member as well of WW but I don't weigh in and that is why I gained it all back I think.... I liked the "accountability" factor of having to go and fess up to someone face to face about how the week went. I think that made me stick to it a little easier. Also, I didn't mind the points because I got to know what all the points were so it was easy.

However.....I am enjoying MFP as I get around it more and more. I feel there is still that accountability factor but just not the face to face thing.

I am staying positive that this is going to work for me. I just need to get into an excercise routine. I have one son still in sports so doing everything around his schedule can sometimes be a headache! I would like to get myself up in the morning and do it before work, but considering I am at work at 7 that is tough as well!!! URG!!!!! I am determined to figure something out.
  • jljean07
    jljean07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past and it really brain washes you. I'm so tired about thinking of food in points. Plus it doesn't really make you accountable for Carbs or Protein. I'm just starting MFP and am loving the food diary and how it really helps you keep track of things!