Metabolism testing

Options
I've seen various machines that test your metabolism (Med Gem for example). Are these accurate? Are they worth the money? I think you breath into a little machine for about 15 minutes prior to eating/exercising for the day.

Replies

• brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shocktastic
    shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me to get that test but she told me it is like $400. And Insurance does not cover it.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I got it done and it cost about $50. IT showed I had a slightly higher metabolism :)
  • sengseng74
    sengseng74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check into "New Leaf" metabolic testing. Many gyms are now carrying this service, even if you are not a member. It's the same concept where they have you walk on a treadmill or sit on a stationary bike and you breath through a neoprene mask and tube that analyzes your VO2.

The whole thing costs $139, at least in my area.

-S
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Where do you get something like this done?
  • brooke800
    Options
    Sengratt and Izzy: When you got the information did it help you? Did you adjust anything and figure out if it was accurate?
    I just want to make sure it is worth it and not just an average number I could find by a chart.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    We have them here at our Wellness Facility, but they are mostly used by our weight loss surgery wing. They are quite accurate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brooke800
    Options
    Did anyone find the results helpful?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the New Leaf. I had it done at my local YMCA & it was one of the best investments I've made in my health/fitness. If you want more detail about my results let me know, happy to share, but in a nutshell it not only got my weight moving again but the heart rate training program it generated has improved my fitness level by leaps & bounds. My VO2 max went from Below Average to Well Above Average - it was something like a 45% increase which is pretty uncommon from what I hear. My 10k pace improved by about 30 sec per mile & I am expending less energy to run at what used to be my best pace.

Just started my second 12-week round of New Leaf heart rate training & can't wait to see the results from this round!