So calories are calories, no matter what the food...

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed before...but I wanted to see people's opinions (preferably people who've experienced the difference :smile: ) When it comes to weight loss, I see a lot of people stressing healthy foods, proteins, greens, etc. and others who say simply a calorie is a calorie and it makes no difference if I eat 1,000 cals of chocolate or 1,000 cals of vegetables, if there's a deficit the results will be the same. But in your experience, did eating healthier (more proteins, vegetables, less simple carbs, etc) help you lose weight?

Edited to add, obviously I know healthy foods are better for me. I'm just trying to see if the healthier choices made a difference if the calorie amount was the same.

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know, I've never been able to make myself eat that healthy. :laugh:

But seriously, I think that eating fruits and veggies helped me last a lot longer on a diet (and lose more weight because I was on it longer) because I got more volume of food for less calories, and I felt better because I was actually getting nutrients. I didn't feel as hungry. As for whether or not they helped me lose more weight specifically because they were better calories, I'm not sure. I'm generally of the mindset that a calorie is a calorie, because eating more of the healthy foods doesn't really seem to make me lose any faster.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, it helped me.

But mostly it helped me because I found proteins and complex carbohydrates to be more satisfying and I could get away with eating fewer calories in a day with less hunger and more energy. Balancing my intake of fats, proteins, and carbs (and in my case converting over to a "snacking habit" where I eat very small meals frequently) really helped me work with a deficit calorie budget.

But none of this has anything against the "a calorie is a calorie" crowd. If you ate calories to feed your body at a deficit, you will lose weight. It may not be terribly healthy for certain sources of calories if you're missing nutrients your body needs, etc, but a calorie is pretty much a calorie.

Health and weight loss are related, but separate, subjects. You eat at a specific deficit for weight loss. You exercise and eat healthful foods in proper proportion to increase health. An overweight person can be very healthy, and someone who is not overweight can be extremely unhealthy.
  • Alicat59
    Alicat59 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After about six months in I definitely noticed a difference. If I had any "junk" (particularly sugar), even if it was within my calories, my weight loss would stall. Once I cut that stuff out my weight started dropping again.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Not one or the other...not all or nothing.. Stay under your calorie goal.........eat 1g protein / 1LB of LBM.......eat .3g fat / LB.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Healthier foods seem to be generally lower in calories (especially fruits and veggies) so it's easier to stay full if I'm eating those instead of higher calorie junk food (chocolate, fast food). I can have 2 cups of lettuce mix for like 20 calories or I can have a McDonald's Breakfast Burrito for 300 calories. Staying full longer means less snacking and overeating so I'll say it does matter, but if you can stick under your calorie goal with junk food the results will probably be similar.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a big difference in energy level, complexion, and even peace of mind
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Not one or the other...not all or nothing.. Stay under your calorie goal.........eat 1g protein / 1LB of LBM.......eat .3g fat / LB.

Jacwhite...can you tell me how I figure out my LBM?
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    All calories are not equal. The healthy ones help me lose weight and let me eat A LOT. The sugar and carb ones don't. They just make me starve and I plateau.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15 lbs last year - easily and steady. Always ate over my 1200 net (not intentionally- just didn't have any self control) and was still hungry. Looking back at my diary I ate like s**t! After gaining everything back I restarted this year. It's taking longer but I'm eating more (necessary for me to continue to lose, otherwise I stall) and eating better foods. I haven't noticed anything different in my appearance but I'm more satisfied and I'm sure it will be easier for me to maintain in the long run.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    if you're eating lots of animal protein and veggies, i wouldnt be so concerned with how many calories you are consuming. but, that being said, usually those things aren't as high in calories as processed foods anyways.
    my theory is if you dont stop eating the junk, when you're done "dieting" (meaning eating at your reduced calories per MFP), you will just fall back into the bad eating habbits again and gain the weight back. this especially concerns me since i have SUCH a struggle with eating good vs eating convenient but within calorie allowance.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories are calories and what you eat will make no difference in your TDEE and intake equation... HOWEVER, the types of calories you eat have EVERYTHING to do with body composition (fat %age vs. lean body mass).

That's why you see people who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight and eat fast food and empty calories are usually skinnyfat, meaning no muscle definition and high body fat to lean mass ratio.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Seriously. Moderation. Trying to lose weight on just cheeseburgers under your cals is possible, but not great. And from what I can tell on MFP "clean eating" 100% of the time just makes you a miserable human being.

So find foods you like to eat that fit your cals, get your protein, fats are not the devil, neither are carbs. You'll be fine.

It worked for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would say no. I do eat healthy because I want to be healthy, but when I was younger I stayed thin by simply eating less junk whenever I put on a few. I haven't eaten junk food on a regular basis for years so now that I'm older it's possible it would make more of a difference, but I doubt it.

I do like that I can eat more food overall with healthy food. I can remember eating only one piece of pizza and a Snicker bar all day long and just ignoring the hunger pangs when I was young and trying to lose. For those same calories I can eat a lot more healthy food.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    More protein, more veggies, more fiber, more fruit, less simple carbs and less fast food ultra-processed crap helps keep me fuller, longer, so yes, it does help me lose weight. But I'm still ordering pizza once every two weeks, and no one's gonna stop me.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Garbage in, garbage out. Same deficit? Yes. Same nutrition and good health? No.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a big difference in energy level, complexion, and even peace of mind

^^^This!!!!! I just overall feel so much better physically and mentally when I eat healthier!! Good food fuels my workouts and my brain!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Mathematically yes, a calorie is a calorie no matter what food it comes from. Stay under your TDEE and you will lose weight regardless of food - barring some medical condition or the occasional alien implant.

However

There is much more to what goes on with food in your body than just the energy/adipose storage cycles. Different types of foods can influence all sorts of things like hormonal balances, propensity to certain illnesses, organ functions, tissue and bone architecture, not to mention satiety, appetite and mood. So in that respect, no, not all foods are created equal.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Seriously. Moderation. Trying to lose weight on just cheeseburgers under your cals is possible, but not great. And from what I can tell on MFP "clean eating" 100% of the time just makes you a miserable human being.

So find foods you like to eat that fit you cals, get your protein, fats are not the devil, neither are carbs. You'll be fine.

It worked for me.

mmm cheeseburger
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Years ago b4 I became ill & gained weight, I was 105 lbs soaking wet. But I lived on peanut butter nabs & coke for lunch & my diet lacked good, nutrient dense food overall. The result? I became severely anemic & passed out at work. When I fainted, I knocked myself unconscious because I hit my head...very hard....on a table.

Yes, keeping your calories in check will help you lose/maintain your weight. But try to eat nutritious foods more often than not & you'll be healthier for it.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, but what else can we say about a food?
    You are what you eat.
    And if you seek optimal health, what you eat surely matters. Junk food will give you junk health - even if it's within your daily calorie goal. Sorry, it matters big time.
    Good Luck!:flowerforyou: