Coffee Anyone?

Options

Replies

• Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink it, by the pot full! I haven't heard anything negative about it - but it makes it hard for me to get the minimum calories in on days I drink a bunch. seems to suppress my appetite a bit.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Coffee: Do you think I should or should not drink it? I only put a dash of cream enough to make it not solid black and drink about 2/3 6oz cups a day. I hear some people say it causes fluid retention and some says it dont and I've heard it hinders weight loss and then I've heard it doesn't. And I've heard regular coffee is a duretic and decaf is unhealthy due to chemicals to make it decaf (which I don't drink decaf usually) It get me going in the morning tho and I only drink it on weekdays at work and don't ever drink it on the weekend. I've wondered if that is preventing me from getting my last 3 pounds off? What's everyones thoughts on this...to drink or to not drink coffee?? BTW: This is the only drink I consume other than water. No beverages of any sort.

Caffeine (and other components in coffee) has a diuretic effect. Fortunately, it's also mostly made of water. Log the calories for the cream (and the coffee, since coffee has some nutrients too!), and you'll be just fine.

If you choose, you can add an extra glass of water to offset the caffeine. It's probably not necessary but a little extra water never hurt anyone.

Or you can skip the whole water argument and go simple: If your urine is pale yellow or lighter, you're getting plenty of water. If it's bright yellow or darker, drink more. No need for long arguments over how much water you need to drink using silly slogans and arbitrary numbers, your body has a perfectly good individualized color-coded system to tell you if you are getting enough water.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I won't give up coffee!!!! Though on days I have a big workout I will add 1/3rd scoop of some vanilla whey protein to it, a dash of creamer and consider it health food. LOL :drinker:
  • dladd103
    dladd103 Posts: 13
    Options
    A touch of cream can actually be better than milk by the way...it depends on your dietary goals. Milk has lactose, lots of sugar and carbs. That tiny bit of milk fat isn't that bad for ya. If you are doing any kind of diet like P90X fat shredder or Atkins, a touch of cream is always better than milk. I personally love skim milk in my coffee and am trying to switch to cream to cut back carbs for my weight loss goals since I need only a touch of cream but I need like 4oz of skim milk...again, different for everyone :D IMO both are better than non-fat creamers because creamers are not clean, just chemicals!
  • LizzCallahan
    LizzCallahan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food

WebMD is my health guru temporarily. I'll turn to my best friend when she finishes medical school. Then, she can read WebMD for me. :)
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I could go for some coffee right now!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i drink it every day. every single day. sometimes more than once a day.

i also measure my sugar & am about the same with you and cream, just a touch (i'd say a half tablespoon, but i always log a full)

i have not had it interfere with any goals.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love my morning cup of coffee WITH half and half and a teaspoon of sugar (@ 70 calories)...sometimes I have 2 cups :drinker: I has never hindered my progress!
  • Magdalene2011
    Magdalene2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Love that response, me too!

I have a sister who drinks at least a pot a day and along with her crazy life and running habit is down to a zero - yikes.

As for me, everyday or else headaches and there's no way I could keep up with my 8-month old! Also, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. This runs a fraction of the calories of dairy of any form, and it's full of BETTER nutrients. Then I add some stevia drops that have no calories (or anything else for that matter), and what I get is some awesome (albeit addictive) morning fun!
  • dladd103
    dladd103 Posts: 13
    Options
    @rileamoyer LMAO! What kind of Vanilla Whey do you use? I have tried 3 and they all taste gross! I would love to make a vanilla frappe with protein powder if I could find a palatable one. Considering trying Gold Standard next...
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You could not even pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands....LoL! I have cut WAY back from what I used to drink, and usually only have one or two cups, and some days I don't have any at all when I listen to my body and I don't feel like it, or sometimes I make a coffee protein smoothie. YUM!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Life is not worth living without my coffee. For awhile, I was doing the 17-Day Diet and starting my day with a cup of hot lemmon water followed by a cup of green tea. Nothing against those beverages, but they did not inspire me to get up in the morning the way my first cup of coffee does. I'm back to coffee and very happy.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I think you could still drink coffee. Although it can dehydrate you, it has lots of antioxidants and it has more positive aspects than negative. I would cut down to one cup a day though. Try switching to tea if you can though, it makes you feel way different than coffee does, in my opinion.
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I tried to give up coffee once.... I don't think I can disclose any more....

This is me.........thank you I don't feel alone anymore! lol
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Coffee: Do you think I should or should not drink it? I only put a dash of cream enough to make it not solid black and drink about 2/3 6oz cups a day. I hear some people say it causes fluid retention and some says it dont and I've heard it hinders weight loss and then I've heard it doesn't. And I've heard regular coffee is a duretic and decaf is unhealthy due to chemicals to make it decaf (which I don't drink decaf usually) It get me going in the morning tho and I only drink it on weekdays at work and don't ever drink it on the weekend. I've wondered if that is preventing me from getting my last 3 pounds off? What's everyones thoughts on this...to drink or to not drink coffee?? BTW: This is the only drink I consume other than water. No beverages of any sort.

You only have 3lbs to go! whoop! What's the harm in seeing if this is the culprit in your case...? I drink coffee every day and lose but everyone is different and where it's brewed and what goes into it.

Spend two weeks coffee free and see if the scale budges :)
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Every day! 1-2 cups with 1/2 cup nonfat milk (heated in microwave) and 1 TBSP brown sugar. I usually add dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg. It's not worth giving it up (for me). Good luck!
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    yes inspired.......that
    is what coffe does for me.......love coffee.......people like me more when i have had a pot or two....of coffee.
  • sonyabriden
    Options
    Coffee is a diuretic, so you need to make sure you are drinking more water than usual so that you don't get dehydrated.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of cups every morning with truvia and sugar free creamer and it's not affecting weight loss in the slightest. Does make me pee like a racehorse though.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Coffee is one of my religions