So calories are calories, no matter what the food...

Options

Replies

• TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It makes a difference to me.
    I'm trying to see my food as fuel to work my hardest and my best. If I consumed a 1400 daily calorie allowance of fast food/chips/ candy/soda etc, all I would want to do is go to sleep at the end of the day.
    Also, I overeat. Consuming high salt, high sugar, high fat foods, even in limited quantities makes me crave it more.

It might be the same for some people, but it simply isn't for me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Not one or the other...not all or nothing.. Stay under your calorie goal.........eat 1g protein / 1LB of LBM.......eat .3g fat / LB.

Jacwhite...can you tell me how I figure out my LBM?

There are a couple of ways.....You can use a handheld device/scale that measures it using BIA. This is not very accurate but will give a general idea. Another option is body fat calipers.....A lot more accurate but up to the measurer to get correct readings. You can also find on-line calculators which use measurements from different areas to give you a pretty good estimate. The last option is to have a scan done......DEXA/underwater weighing etc. If you need further help in trying to estimate yours let me know.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP and began logging my food, I realized that I really wasn't eating that much quantity-wise, but the food was packed with fat and calories! Once I started eating healthy food, my diary of foods got longer and longer and the amount of food went through the roof. It was actually hard to eat enough calories at first because I wasn't used to eating so MUCH food
    You're right about saying calories are calories, no matter what the food but , I'd say there is a big difference in quality and nutrition. If you eat junk food vs. healthy food, you'd probably gain weight and not be as healthy and like me, you'd still be hungry. Sodium is also a factor. Like I said earlier, I was eating high calorie food vs healthy and I was up to 179lbs! Now that I'm eating 'more' food and maybe even the same amt of calories of healthy food, I've lost nearly 40lbs. I also exercise a lot more so it's not just about food.
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it is about more than just calories. If all you want to do is lose weight, sure, eat whatever you want within your calorie allotment. If you want to get healthy, eat foods low in saturated/trans fats, sodium, cholesterol and sugar. Eat foods that are high in fibre, healthy fats, protein and complex carbs and hydrate your body appropriately. Stay away from chemically processed foods. Just my two cents.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I absolutely notice a difference if I eat the same amount of calories in good food or junk. My weight just stalls out, or increases because of sodium too.

So while technically the answer might be a calorie is a calorie, I don't really believe in the real world that anyone who has paid attention knows that there is a huge difference.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel fuller on the healthier stuff. If I eat poorly I'm hungry a lot faster than with the good stuff. I think sodium and fat content have a lot to do with that.
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    I am a strict calorie counter. I definitely incorporate lots of vegetables and fruits into my nutrition, but I do not limit any foods. If I want an angus hamburger with french fries, I will eat it, but I just ensure that I don't go over my allotted calories for the day. And I am losing weight this way. :-)
  • sradnan
    sradnan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find it a lot easier to control my portions eating healthy. Plus the hormone response from eating junk food. But cutting it out means I crave it less, and I don't have to try so damned hard not to finish a pack of chips all in one sitting.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Eating the healthier foods give me a lot more energy than when I eat junk! I agree with eating the things you like within moderation- this is how i have lost my weight. I haven't given up anything, just changed up how much and how often I eat the "bad" foods. :)
  • LizzCallahan
    LizzCallahan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mathematically yes, a calorie is a calorie no matter what food it comes from. Stay under your TDEE and you will lose weight regardless of food - barring some medical condition or the occasional alien implant.

However

There is much more to what goes on with food in your body than just the energy/adipose storage cycles. Different types of foods can influence all sorts of things like hormonal balances, propensity to certain illnesses, organ functions, tissue and bone architecture, not to mention satiety, appetite and mood. So in that respect, no, not all foods are created equal.

This guy.

Also, off topic, I just started watching Firefly on netflix. SPACE COWBOYS = BEST IDEA EVER Who knew? (It's in his ticker.)
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    I was always hungry when I ate junk and was under my calorie limit. Needless to say, I didn't calorie count for very long when I was eating junk.Not to mention, I was very sluggish and so was my weight loss. I didn't have much energy to do anything.

When I eat healthy now, I am satisfied with the same calorie limit and have tons of energy. So my advice, eat healthy and your body will be good to you. Eat junk and your body will treat you like junk. It's ok to have junk from time to time as long as it's in moderation.

Oh and I also found it hard to stay under my calorie limit with junk food. Now, it's a breeze. I eat when I'm hungry, I'm full, and I almost always have calories to spare.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It makes a HUGE difference. Our bodies process different foods differently. Some are digested quickly. Some, slowly. Too much of some are more likely to be stored as fat. Some fuel muscles. Some clog arteries. The best thing you can do for yourself is to eat healthy foods and exercise.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think it does matter what I eat. When I eat simple sugar, that is all I want to eat then. Have you watched Forks over Knives? Its interesting.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy foods helps me by greatly reducing my appetite. I can more easily tell when I am hungry and when I am not.

Eating a lot of unhealthy foods, for me, means eating a lot more carbs. Carbs cause me to retain water. Therefore eating healthy foods allows me to lose weight faster and more evenly, because I am not retaining as much water.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The only thing that stalls my loss is excess of alcohol. However, I feel more full from the same calories of healthy food. Also, I have noticed my shape change more per pound lost when eating high protein.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    wouldn't that be a great experiment though, really? Do do 1500 calories of crap for a month - then 1500 calories of good stuff. For me, the important thing is that I feel so much more energetic and better mood on healthier food so I'm not sure it would matter. I'm not just in it for weight loss - I'm in for fitness factor! I suspect one would lose better on healthier foods but that would shoot the calories in versus out theory. Who volunteers for the study? You'd have to make sure all other factors remained exactly the same (exercise level, amount of water, amount of sleep...etc). We could make money and write a book. :tongue:
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I can eat 1200 calories of delicious garbage... and be hungry later. Or I can eat 1200 calories of actual food with nutrients and be stuffed.

I like to think of it in terms of a bank account - what's gonna give me a longer sense of satisfaction: buying one pair of super-expensive Jimmy Choos that I don't have anywhere to wear them, or the boots and sandals that will allow me to ride the motorcycle up the mountain and do a hike in a stream when I get there? The Jimmy Choos might be beautiful and make me feel super-sexy *when I get to wear them* but the boots and Tevas will give me more daily/ weekly satisfaction and joy. Calories are kinda the same way for me - I can splurge on something high-calorie and have the momentary thrill, or I can use my "funds" wisely and feel awesome longer and more often.
  • candicraft
    Options
    This is such a difficult topic, I find that lack of fruit's and veggie's when trying to control my calorie intake, makes me very hungry and grumpy. 500cal of pizza doesn't go far, but trying to eat the same in lean protein or veggie's would be much more in volume and with a higher water content which in effect would keep you fuller for longer. So in effect by eating healthier you are making reducing your calories much easier for you mental and physically, there is nothing wrong with pizza, chips, mayo or burgers, but I would find with sugary cereal for breakfast, a burger for lunch and pizza for tea, I would be one hungry, grumpy camper and that my will power would fade much faster.

I didn't get to be 300lb by being a saint, I ate badly in large quantities causing my weight gain. Regardless of how much people protest about the "calorie is a calorie" debate, they know they should eat better for their health, but then again I know I should quit smoking for my health and I choose to ignore it and carry on.

Regardless of which path people choose to take, moderation IMO is the best route, a little of what you fancy won't kill you, but carrying around and extra person in fat will. Everyone is here for a purpose and if it's working for them, then that's great even though it's not the path I'd choose.

My finace eats junk, he chooses to eat junk, and seems to stay at the same weight, so it works for him BUT he recently had a cholesterol check and blood tests, and his result's were far worse than mine even though I have an extra 7stone on him. I'd rather be fatter with a healthier diet and see the result's in tests than be slimmer like him and recieve the result's he did.

It irritates me that some people think that being slim is the most important thing, skinny doesn't mean your immune from serious health issue's, but a heathier diet even when larger can mean your healthier than someone at a healthy weight.

Strange how life work's eh?
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it matters what you eat...to a point. I don't know about you but when I eat healthy meals I feel fuller, and all around better than when I don't eat as healthy. When someone is continually eating nutrition-less food I'll bet eventually they'll begin to feel sluggish and it will become a struggle to remain active. (Trust me...I've been there!) However, I don't deprive myself from the stuff I crave on occasion, like the occasional cookie or a handful of potato chips. Generally, my rule of thumb is that I have to "earn" my treat by burning off an extra 70 calories at the gym, or by cutting extra calories somewhere else, like skipping something else "bad" I would've eaten otherwise like sugary juicy/iced tea/a cocktail or going without cheese, butter, dressing etc. with a meal. There really is such a thing as "empty" calories though, so beware of those!
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a strict calorie counter. I definitely incorporate lots of vegetables and fruits into my nutrition, but I do not limit any foods. If I want an angus hamburger with french fries, I will eat it, but I just ensure that I don't go over my allotted calories for the day. And I am losing weight this way. :-)
    Totally agree with you here! NO reason to deprive yourself of what you crave as long as you don't go overboard and you stay active!