Low-cal frozen dinners-help!

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsbice
    Options
    Keep in mind most frozen dinners are very high in sodium. Which even though they are low in calories and fairly low in fat...you will retain water...which doesnt help with losing weight.

Signed,
    A Nutritionist

ditto
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I have to say thanks again for all the recommendations and opinions! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I bought a few different varieties by Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine and so far have been very happy!

I agree with those that warned of the sodium content! Holy cow!! I looked for ones that were the lowest and figure that since I won't be eating them but a couple of times a week I should be ok. The days that I do plan to eat them I will monitor my sodium intake and make sure to flush out with even MORE water!

By the way, the 3 cheese stuffed ravioli w/veggies by Lean Cuisine rocks! :drinker:
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Recieved an email from WebMD on best frozen food choices... these are some they reccomended

Calories Total Fat (g) Sat. Fat (g) Sodium (mg) Fiber (g)
    Amy's Asian Noodle Stir Fry 240 4.5 0.5 680 4
    Ethnic Gourmet Bowl Pad Thai w/ shrimp 350 7 1 650 3
    Michelina's Budget Gourmet Chinese Style
    Vegetable & Chicken w/ rice 300 7 1.5 690 3
    Seeds of Change Chicken Teriyaki 300 3.5 1 770 4
    Lean Cuisine Salmon with basil 260 8 2.5 680 5
    Trader Joe's Chicken Tandoori with spinach 360 N/A 2 520 5
    Celentano Roasted Vegetable lasagna 300 N/A 3 350 5
    Healthy Choice Cajun Shrimp and Chicken 240 3.5 1 800 3
    Smart Ones Rigatoni with Broccoli and Chicken 290 8 3 690 2
    Gardenburger Meals Meatless Citrus Glazed Chicken
    with green beans and rice 220 2 0 610 5
    Healthy Choice Mushroom Roasted Beef 280 8 3 600 5
    Michelina's Lean Gourmet Chicken Alfredo Florentine 270 6 3 610 2

I see a lot of discussion about sodium. What does everyone think is acceptable? Wikipedia says: The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of Sciences, issued a report that lowered the recommended daily amount of sodium. Previously, the daily allowance was 2500 milligrams, but it has been lowered to 1500 milligrams per day. The report set the maximum intake per day at 2300 milligrams but recommended not exceeding 1500 milligrams. Thoughts?

I just had Healthy Choices Ravioli Florentine Marinara. 240 calories, 11g protein, 540 mg sodium. I thought it was pretty good considering it was a frozen meal. Any more reccomendations?
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Recieved an email from WebMD on best frozen food choices... these are some they reccomended

Calories Total Fat (g) Sat. Fat (g) Sodium (mg) Fiber (g)
    Amy's Asian Noodle Stir Fry 240 4.5 0.5 680 4
    Ethnic Gourmet Bowl Pad Thai w/ shrimp 350 7 1 650 3
    Michelina's Budget Gourmet Chinese Style
    Vegetable & Chicken w/ rice 300 7 1.5 690 3
    Seeds of Change Chicken Teriyaki 300 3.5 1 770 4
    Lean Cuisine Salmon with basil 260 8 2.5 680 5
    Trader Joe's Chicken Tandoori with spinach 360 N/A 2 520 5
    Celentano Roasted Vegetable lasagna 300 N/A 3 350 5
    Healthy Choice Cajun Shrimp and Chicken 240 3.5 1 800 3
    Smart Ones Rigatoni with Broccoli and Chicken 290 8 3 690 2
    Gardenburger Meals Meatless Citrus Glazed Chicken
    with green beans and rice 220 2 0 610 5
    Healthy Choice Mushroom Roasted Beef 280 8 3 600 5
    Michelina's Lean Gourmet Chicken Alfredo Florentine 270 6 3 610 2

I see a lot of discussion about sodium. What does everyone think is acceptable? Wikipedia says: The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of Sciences, issued a report that lowered the recommended daily amount of sodium. Previously, the daily allowance was 2500 milligrams, but it has been lowered to 1500 milligrams per day. The report set the maximum intake per day at 2300 milligrams but recommended not exceeding 1500 milligrams. Thoughts?

I just had Healthy Choices Ravioli Florentine Marinara. 240 calories, 11g protein, 540 mg sodium. I thought it was pretty good considering it was a frozen meal. Any more reccomendations?

I don't set an allotment for myself for my daily sodium intake but I know what foods are crazy high in sodium and will avoid them or substitute them if I can. For me, if I eat to much sodium, I bloat very badly. It's the point now that after 10 months of eating healthy and changing my life, I can't even eat a serving of canned veggies because of the sodium! My body definitely lets me know the next day if I've eaten too much. I think it helps to be aware of how much you intake since it's not that great for you and can lead to water retention. Just my two cents worth. :tongue: