So calories are calories, no matter what the food...

Options

Replies

• suediet55
    suediet55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have recently tried changing my snacks to eating fruit instead of biscuits, crisps etc. My thinking is that my body will process health foods quicker than junk so hopefully lose more inches/pounds. Fingers crossed.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Not one or the other...not all or nothing.. Stay under your calorie goal.........eat 1g protein / 1LB of LBM.......eat .3g fat / LB.

Seriously. Moderation. Trying to lose weight on just cheeseburgers under your cals is possible, but not great. And from what I can tell on MFP "clean eating" 100% of the time just makes you a miserable human being.

So find foods you like to eat that fit your cals, get your protein, fats are not the devil, neither are carbs. You'll be fine.

It worked for me.
    Quoted for truth!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The quality of the food does matter, but most who say that a calorie is a calorie pretty much mean that it is okay to eat "non-healthy" foods in moderation. In other words, if you ate great all day and have a sudden urge for a Snickers bar and you can still meet your calorie and macro goals, then that Snickers bar is not going to affect your body's reaction to the calorie deficit.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If I eat natural, healthy and whole foods I can tell a huge difference in my sleep patterns, my energy level, my skin and most of all I can eat fewer calories and still have energy without hunger....

Not saying I don't eat those things (chips, burger, pizza, sweets), but I eat them only occasionally and in moderation.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I ate fruits and veggies and lean meats for most my calories I lost weight, if I had to many carbs or junk that filled up my diet even if it was under 1400 I never lost weight...

So I think it depends on the person., some people could eat junk and stay under calories and lose it while others cant, like me.
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    NO: A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

There is a metabolic advantage to eating protein. Up to 25% of protein calories are lost (entropy) during digestion. It's the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Calories In = Calories Out + Entropy.

What's more, body composition is greatly affected by macronutrient choices.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, but what else can we say about a food?
    You are what you eat.
    And if you seek optimal health, what you eat surely matters. Junk food will give you junk health - even if it's within your daily calorie goal. Sorry, it matters big time.
    Good Luck!:flowerforyou:

I agree with this, you will not be healthy and satisfied if you eat 1200 calories in cheeseburgers or cookies vs a yummy variety on the good ol faithful food pyramid!!!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do believe the non food chemicals (like the ones found in diet sodas) reduce the liver's efficiency and this in turn keeps the liver from burning as much as fat as possible.

Now here is the key. Most diets fail because people constrict themselves either by the food they can't eat or with their own deadlines. So in my opinion, eat "junk" in moderation and stick to your calories. When you find yourself eating too much "junk", fix it.

I've lost 55 pounds in 138 days eating plenty of things like Pizza and Chef Boyardee, but lean means and vegtables have been the staple.
  • poodlehepler
    poodlehepler Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I find when eat healthy I stay full longer. When I eat junk food those are empty calories and I am constantly looking for more food. When I eat the junk food my weight stalls or I gain and I have a hard time getting back on track. That is my experience.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    wouldn't that be a great experiment though, really? Do do 1500 calories of crap for a month - then 1500 calories of good stuff. For me, the important thing is that I feel so much more energetic and better mood on healthier food so I'm not sure it would matter. I'm not just in it for weight loss - I'm in for fitness factor! I suspect one would lose better on healthier foods but that would shoot the calories in versus out theory. Who volunteers for the study? You'd have to make sure all other factors remained exactly the same (exercise level, amount of water, amount of sleep...etc). We could make money and write a book. :tongue:

Oh it's been done!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-229060/Eat-We-prefer-Doughnut-Diet.html

The logic is that as a short term diet - the most important thing is to lose the excess weight and all its bad health implications. So a professor went on a 'doughnut only diet' He still restricted his calories, but ate only doughnuts! Lost the unhealthy weight. Caories in = calories out.

Of course long term he was depriving himself of important nutrician; but he argues that by fat the most important thing is to lose the weight in the first place
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think, if nothing else, it makes a difference in how full I feel. If I eat all junk (and I totally will), I'll get hungry quicker and be pissed later 'cause I can't eat.

I'm a pretty big believer in eat what you want, but I do find myself being slightly smarter some days and going for my veggies because I know I can eat a big plate for a lot less calories and be happily full.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it is about more than just calories. If all you want to do is lose weight, sure, eat whatever you want within your calorie allotment. If you want to get healthy, eat foods low in saturated/trans fats, sodium, cholesterol and sugar. Eat foods that are high in fibre, healthy fats, protein and complex carbs and hydrate your body appropriately. Stay away from chemically processed foods. Just my two cents.

^^This!
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think it helped me. I eat 1800 calories a day, but I do not let my carbs go over 100 and my protein has to be at least 125. So, that means that I have cut out a lot of starchy sugary things.

When I was younger, I could eat 1200 calories of coke and three musketeers and lost weight. Now that I am older, that does not work.
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    I think it helped me. I eat 1800 calories a day, but I do not let my carbs go over 100 and my protein has to be at least 125. So, that means that I have cut out a lot of starchy sugary things.

When I was younger, I could eat 1200 calories of coke and three musketeers and lost weight. Now that I am older, that does not work.

Your current plan is perfect for both weight loss and, most important, good body composition.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Not one or the other...not all or nothing.. Stay under your calorie goal.........eat 1g protein / 1LB of LBM.......eat .3g fat / LB.

Seriously. Moderation. Trying to lose weight on just cheeseburgers under your cals is possible, but not great. And from what I can tell on MFP "clean eating" 100% of the time just makes you a miserable human being.

So find foods you like to eat that fit you cals, get your protein, fats are not the devil, neither are carbs. You'll be fine.

It worked for me.

mmm cheeseburger

MMMMM cheeseburgers with BACON!!!!
  • brandee1212
    brandee1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a big difference in energy level, complexion, and even peace of mind

^^^This!!!!! I just overall feel so much better physically and mentally when I eat healthier!! Good food fuels my workouts and my brain!

I completely agree with these posters. Yeah, calories in v. calories out is really how the math works out, but I am SO hungry and tired and lethargic (read: lazy) when I eat poorly. I have some sort of sugary dessert (in a small portion) every day, but the bulk of my calories are whole, nutritious foods. I stick to 1200-1300 cal/day.

Here's a sample of my daily intake:

Breakfast -
    1/2 Cup Voskos or Chobani Greek Yogurt
    1 Cup sliced strawberries
    1 small banana, sliced
    1 packet of flavored instant oatmeal (I know old fashioned oats are better, but this is a compromise I make with myself...saves time, it's pre-portioned, and I enjoy the taste!)

Lunch -
    A tuna wrap
    1 can of solid white albacore tuna with a tablespoon of fat-free mayo
    Celery, black pepper, and pickles to taste
    1 La Tortilla Factory low carb wrap (12g Fiber and only 80 calories...win!)
    Green leaf lettuce
    Sliced tomato
    A huge plate of sliced veggies (whole cucumber, some raw broccoli, half of each: red pepper, yellow/orange pepper)
    2-4 tablespoons of fat free ranch dip (a packet of ranch seasoning with 16 oz of fat free sour cream)

Dinner -

Grilled chicken breast with assorted seasonings
    1 ear of grilled sweet corn (no butter or salt...they're delicious on their own!)
    Large salad of mixed greens and Ken's light caesar dressing

Snacks -

1.5 servings of red seedless grapes (about 30) or 1.5 cups of cherries (with pits)
    1 serving of Colby's Cinnamon Sugar Kettle Corn
    Some sort of ice cream (either a SkinnyCow sandwich, Weight Watchers bar, DQ fudge bar or Vanilla Orange Creme, or a serving of fat free, no sugar added vanilla with a 60 calorie brownie bite)

I am ALWAYS full. I never feel hungry or deprived. I want to get the biggest bang for my buck (feel full/satisfied for the least amount of calories), so I'd rather eat this way than higher calorie foods that leave my tummy rumbling. Hope that helps!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    NO: A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

There is a metabolic advantage to eating protein. Up to 25% of protein calories are lost (entropy) during digestion. It's the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Calories In = Calories Out + Entropy.

What's more, body composition is greatly affected by macronutrient choices.

That's a bit of a skewed statement that could be misconstrued so let's elaborate on it so as not to confuse folks.

You have to take into account what source the protien is coming from as well as a bunch of other factors. Most people on normal western diets are going to get the majority of their protein from things like milk, cheese, eggs, meat and fish - all of which have high digestibility factors - practically the same as most fats and carbs. So in this scenario, believing that your body is digesting more calories from equal caloric amounts of fat and carbs is way off base. The difference would be so minimal as to be worthless. If you lived practically on a diet of soybeans, yeah, maybe you're getting less calories from that protein than from an equal caloric amount of fat but hey, I wouldn't want to share a bed with you.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, it helped me.

But mostly it helped me because I found proteins and complex carbohydrates to be more satisfying and I could get away with eating fewer calories in a day with less hunger and more energy. Balancing my intake of fats, proteins, and carbs (and in my case converting over to a "snacking habit" where I eat very small meals frequently) really helped me work with a deficit calorie budget.

But none of this has anything against the "a calorie is a calorie" crowd. If you ate calories to feed your body at a deficit, you will lose weight. It may not be terribly healthy for certain sources of calories if you're missing nutrients your body needs, etc, but a calorie is pretty much a calorie.

Health and weight loss are related, but separate, subjects. You eat at a specific deficit for weight loss. You exercise and eat healthful foods in proper proportion to increase health. An overweight person can be very healthy, and someone who is not overweight can be extremely unhealthy.

And this is it, in a nutshell. A calorie deficit is what causes you to lose weight, but eating proper nutrients tends to fill you up more and keep you from getting hungry, so it is beneficial (helps keep you on the lower calories diet. It's also healthier, of course. Which should be the ultimate goal.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback, you guys are awesome. :flowerforyou: Just needed a reminder that the healthy choices usually are low-calorie and nutrient-dense, thus filling me up more with the nutritional benefits.